What tools do i need to replace/remove CV on trail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm taking the wife and kids on our first offroad camping trip. Nothing technical, but I still got to thinking. If I had a CV fail what do I need (and how would you) remove it to get back home?

If I busted my front diff could i pull the CV's easily on the trail and get home in 2wd with basic tools?

Tools to remove your wheel, a C clip spread tool to remove the clip holding the axle to the hub flange, sockets to remove the tie rod end, possibly lower ball joint, a pry bar, a big ass hammer.

When i go on trail, i bring enough tools to do an engine swap lol

If it is front diff, you can just remove the hub flanges, no need to pull the whole CV out. Remove the front prop shaft with box wrenches and lock the center diff. You'll have 2WD.

If your wife lets [without screaming uncle] you get crazy enough on any trail on your very first outing to kill a CV or diff .... I'll eat my shoe.

You're way underestimating the truck or way overestimating the need for such trail side repairs unless you're really tackling something challenging.

Go camping. Take some bourbon. Chill and let the kids have fun. :)

If your wife lets [without screaming uncle] you get crazy enough on any trail on your very first outing to kill a CV or diff .... I'll eat my shoe.

You're way underestimating the truck or way overestimating the need for such trail side repairs unless you're really tackling something challenging.

Go camping. Take some bourbon. Chill and let the kids have fun. :)

Haha, yeah I'm just paranoid. I was curious how to do it as well though. I'm the kind of dude that tries to think of every possibility, and with 2 kids in tow it could turn into a miserable trip if I'm not prepared. that being said most of these roads are very tame, but I could be in for a long walk if I can't get rolling again .

When doing light Wheeling with family, I would focus less on trail repairs and more on logistics and backup plans. Your wife won't appreciate watching the kids while you bang on hammers under your rig anyway. Just admit defeat in those situations and work with a buddy or someone else wheeling to get you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom