What Tools and Parts to Carry on the Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I just finished my front brakes and I realized that the trusty set of tools I carry in my 40 and I have carried in my 80 and 100 won't help me if I break an axle on the trail. I had assumed my 54MM trusty hub socket would work here as well. I didnt need to take the cap off the hub to change the rotor, but I did to check it out and am glad I did. For a 200 series axle a 39MM 12 point hub socket is required.

S0 I thought it would be good to compile a list of tools needed to get yourself off the trail. It goes without saying that parts are also needed. However, many times one group went off to get the parts required while another tore down the vehicle ready to complete the repair once parts arrived

NOTE: Not part of this thread but it is always a good idea to pack Water, Sunscreen, Bug Spray extra food, warmer clothes, first aid kit, Ham Radio and/or GPS Sat Phone. Think of where you are going and what you might need if you break down or someone gets hurt

I will compile parts into this first post, please let us know if the addition is a must have repair or a nice to have making it easier. I will break the list into two parts

The below is a suggestion, your choice of what to carry is based on what you feel comfortable with

Suggested Super set of Tools (pick what works for you):

• 39MM Hub Socket
  • Snap Ring pliers
  • Torque wrench. Upgrade to two:
    • 1/4 drive 30-200 in-lb torque wrench
    • 1/2 drive 40-250 ft-lb torque wrench
  • Socket extensions
  • Sockets: 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 19mm, 21mm, 22mm, 24mm, 27mm, 32mm, 39mm
  • Basic set of SAE sockets
  • 1/2 drive ratchet
  • 3/8 drive ratchet
  • 1/4 drive ratchet
  • Adapters and extensions for sockets
  • wrenches up to 19mm
  • Ratcheting wrenches in my favorite sizes (10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 19mm)
  • Collection of 3/8 sockets with allen, Torx, square, and screwdriver bits
  • 4 piece socket converter set. Turn a 1/2 drive to 3/8, 3/8 to 1/2, 1/4 to 3/8, and 3/8 to 1/4. Example would be to give backup should you being using a 17mm 1/2 drive, its night you're switch sockets around on the trail, then you can't find it. Take a 17mm 3/8 drive, put a convert on your 1/2 ratchet and back in business.
  • Screw Drivers with interchangeable bits
  • A big-assed flathead screwdriver
  • Pry bar
  • Wire Stripper/Crimper
  • Nylon Mallet
  • Hatchet (doubles as my hammer)
  • A few types/sizes of Vise-Grips
  • Adjustable crescent wrenches
  • A few types of wire cutters (plier-style, cable cutter, tiny electronics lead snipper)
  • A few types of pliers, channel locks, needle-nosed, angled, etc.
  • Fence repair tool (this does many things)
  • Tin Snips
  • Chisel
  • Allen Wrench Assortment + T-Handle Ball-Point Allen Wrenches in a few sizes
  • Two pry bars (To get CV axle out)
  • Small Big head hammer
  • Rubber mallet
  • Bailing wire (Have used multiple times to fix items like broken exhaust)
  • Digital Volt Meter
  • MM Gear wrench set. Helps in tight to reach areas
  • Electrical Tape
  • Fuses (mini, mini low profile, a couple ANL fuses for my dual battery setup)
  • Marine Grade Heat Shrink
  • Positaps, Posilocks, Positwists
  • Marine Grade Heatshrink Connectors
  • Copper stranded wire in a few sizes and colors (10 awg, 14 awg, 18 awg, 22 awg)
  • Anderson Connectors, Pins, and Crimper
  • Multimeter and test leads
  • Butane soldering iron (continually impressed with how well this works
  • RTV Hit-Temp Sensor safe (Orange) should a component with a gasket need to be removed, fixed or altered and then reassembled. Example would be a broken ring or pinion on trail, remove one of the gears and reassemble to get back home in 2wd.
  • Small and Large angled pliers for grabbing clamps on hoses.
  • Flashlights, Headlamps, Spotlights etc
  • rags
  • WD-40
  • zip ties
  • OBD!! Code Reader
  • Cordless impact and drill set with 3/8 and 1/2" socket adapter. Use the Impact wrench like air tools. The drill with screw driver bit speeds up some effort
  • O2 and Air tools
  • Magnetic flash light
  • Tire Repair Kit
  • Dremel with grinding attachments ( I have a cordless one)
  • Good work gloves and even throwaway gloves for working on messy repairs
  • Tarp to lay on while working under the truck
  • Tape and Adhesives
    • Self Vulcanizing Tape
    • Double-Sided VHB Tape
    • Duct Tape (I like the Gorilla brand)
    • Electrical Tape
    • Silicone Tape
    • Teflon Tape
    • Fiber Fix
    • 3M 5200
    • Red Loctite
    • Blue Loctite
    • Screw purple Loctite -- it's for suckers
    • JB Weld Grey RTV
    • JB Weld for Metal
  • Black Touch-up paint
  • Sprays and Lubricants
  • Emergency Satellite Phone
  • rachet straps
  • Nice tool bag such as the Blue ridge tool bag
  • Ziplock baggies to keep small parts in during disassembly
  • jeweler screwdriver set
  • hacksaw
  • wire brush
  • can of large tire Fix a Flat for emergency use only
  • tube of 3M 5200 sealer/adhesive
  • adjustable crescent wrench
  • tie rod puller/ pickle fork
  • chisels and punches
  • loctite and anti-seize
  • file
  • Sprays and Lubricants
    • Marine Grease
    • Carb/Brake Cleaner
    • WD-40
    • PB Blaster
    • Cutting Oil
Parts to Carry:
  • Fuses - low profile fuses
  • Wire, with set of different ends for attachment (O Ring, Connector, etc)
  • ARB hose and connector repair kit if you have ARB lockers
  • CV Axle and or Boot repair Kit. Many time on the trail replacing the clamp and adding lube is sufficient to keep you going
  • Various clamps for hoses and big enough for CV boots
  • Serpentine Belt
  • Extra Lug Nuts
  • Inner and outer Tie Rods
  • Fuel Line
  • Radiator Hoses
  • Stuff for CV Axle and Boot Fix
  • Inner and Outer Tie Rods plus Tie Rod Puller
  • U-Joints
  • Spark Plugs and Socket
  • Fuel Pump
  • Fluids (Motor Oil, Gear Oil, Transmission Fluid, Power Steering Fluid, Brake Fluid, Engine Coolant)
Recovery Gear
  • Maxtrax, or recommendations on lesser-priced versions like Maxsa or X-Bull?
  • Shovel
  • Hi-lift?
  • Fuel, water, other fluids
  • Tire patch kit
  • Recovery straps and shackles
  • Bushranger X-Jack sold by ARB: Bushranger X-Jack Complete Kit (72X10)

Help me complete this and it will be added yo the FAQ. List your tools and/or parts and why

Last edited:
Great idea/thread. :bounce::bounce2:

Minor edit. Our version of cordless impact.....

Running Harrop Eaton elockers, we don't need hard-wired OBA - we use PowerTank CO2 for tires and tools.

I also pack a Viar portable as a loaner unit and back-up.

upload_2017-2-26_13-12-57.png
upload_2017-2-26_13-14-49.png

upload_2017-2-26_13-19-52.png

Last edited:
S0 I thought it would be good to compile a list of tools needed to get yourself off the trail.

Great list!
As I was reading, I realized that all but three items were in my drawers already.

I would love it if someone had a video of how to deal with a busted front axle in the boonies...

Edit: You've now added quite a few items I don't carry.

Last edited:
That is a well thought out kit, thank you.

With only talking additions, I also carry:

RTV Hit-Temp Sensor safe (Orange) should a component with a gasket need to be removed, fixed or altered and then reassembled. Example would be a broken ring or pinion on trail, remove one of the gears and reassemble to get back home in 2wd.

4 piece socket converter set. Turn a 1/2 drive to 3/8, 3/8 to 1/2, 1/4 to 3/8, and 3/8 to 1/4. Example would be to give backup should you being using a 17mm 1/2 drive, its night you're switch sockets around on the trail, then you can't find it. Take a 17mm 3/8 drive, put a convert on your 1/2 ratchet and back in business.

Small and Large angled pliers for grabbing camps on hoses.

Fiber Fix. FiberFix: The $6 tool every overlander should have

I think this is a great idea, but the premise should more clearly be established. The premise is that something might catastophically break on your 200 series land cruiser-which I agree with as a possibility in principle-but we need to know what. You can't realistically bring parts unless that premise is clarified (maybe it's obvious, but not to me as I've yet to break anything or read of any breakages.)

What has anyone seen break on a 200 series land cruiser? Once we know what the weak point is, it makes sense to start there with a list of parts and tools.

Jeep guys bring things based on the weak links on their own drive train and suspension (so, like a lot of parts, haha.)

I think this is a great idea, but the premise should more clearly be established. The premise is that something might catastophically break on your 200 series land cruiser-which I agree with as a possibility in principle-but we need to know what. You can't realistically bring parts unless that premise is clarified (maybe it's obvious, but not to me as I've yet to break anything or read of any breakages.)

What has anyone seen break on a 200 series land cruiser? Once we know what the weak point is, it makes sense to start there with a list of parts and tools.

Jeep guys bring things based on the weak links on their own drive train and suspension (so, like a lot of parts, haha.)

My experience is non 200 series so I thought I would start a thread. The 200 is much more complicated. In my experiance wheeling with the Club, Moab, Rubicon etc You can't prepare for every part failure. You really don't have the space to carry all the potentials

For example, breaking a Rear diff or a Brake Booster or a steering gear box are not parts I would recommend carrying for any vehicle. Typically when these break someone on the run goes to find parts and that might mean an overnight stay for those with the broke vehicle. What we always try and do is have the tools (where practical) to tear down and remove the broken component so when the part does come, it should be quick work to complete the job and get back on the trail. One of the great things about our club is we never leave anyone or their vehicle behind. The run isnt over until the rig is fixed and back home or towed back to town. One of the reasons I never wheel alone!

For my 40, I carry a spare Birf. My 80 I carried spare axles and a Birf. I broke a Birf on my 80 and was glad I had it. When I went to IFS (100 series)I carried a spare CV axle and clamps to repair a boot that is leaking. I didnt carry anything else. I do carry basic electrical wire, clamps, etc.

For the 200, the only thing I see as a possibility is a CV axle. Likely never need it. I didnt need the CV axle for my 100, but another 100 broke and used it (Replaced it later). My daughters IFS 4runner did have aCV axle break right at the Diff. We replaced it with an aftermarket at Carquest and it broke the next day, By then we were able to source a Toyota CV axle and it lasted for years without incident

Not sure if I answered your question or just clouded the issue

Last edited:
That's a hefty list of tools, but for the exploring you guys do it seems worthwhile. What do you guys use to carry these tools? Toolbox? Go-bag? Some set up in the ARB drawers? How do you keep them all from making a racket in the back when driving around town or do you hump them in and out everytime you hit the trail?

I like the idea of carrying a Spot. Even out in East Texas there's some places the iPhone doesn't work. Does anyone here actually carry a straight up sat phone?

That's a hefty list of tools, but for the exploring you guys do it seems worthwhile. What do you guys use to carry these tools? Toolbox? Go-bag? Some set up in the ARB drawers? How do you keep them all from making a racket in the back when driving around town or do you hump them in and out everytime you hit the trail?

I like the idea of carrying a Spot. Even out in East Texas there's some places the iPhone doesn't work. Does anyone here actually carry a straight up sat phone?

One of these days I'm going to post a thread of the ridiculous amount of stuff I keep in my ARB drawers.

I basically pack them for the possibility of not being able to go home for a week. Tools, water, food, heat, recovery gear, emergency medical, communication, power, and much more. Some people make bug-out bags...that you can grab, or already have with you should things go awry, or you're just unexpectedly stuck in the boonies somewhere... -I have a bug-out 200. :hillbilly:

I know this may not be the direction of this thread-so I apologize if some don't find it helpful-but I have done some pretty long off road trips, including the 150 mile kokopelli trail.

I think the more tools you can think to bring, the better. I once helped out a wheeling friend whose fender liner was caught up on their wheel and suspension, by busting out my tin snips. They were like "why do you have tin snips..?" And I was like "well... I guess this is why!"

I also would agree in my experience that cv axles tend to be the weakest link on any ifs truck.

But what I was going to honestly suggest-and this is what I do on the very long and remote trips when I take them-is to carry enough water, sunscreen and the two best pieces of recovery gear: a solid mountain bike and running shoes. In my view, there are few places you will end up that those items can't get you back to civilization to source parts you might need. Just my $.02

Great idea Ken! I was just packing up my ARB drawers a couple weeks ago and wasn't sure what all to put in there tools wise. I added my metric set of ratcheting box wrenches, socket set, vise grips, pliers, hammer, mallet, etc. and wasn't sure if it was overkill or not. I somehow filled up both drawers pretty quick with the tools, battery packs, recovery gear, compressor, tire repair kit, ammo/targets, first aid stuff and a whole lot of other things that will only get used rarely. It'd be nice to pare it down to the essentials, but it's also nice to have a rolling garage wherever we go!

Headlamp. Might already have it if you're camping, but I'd keep one w/ the tools so you always have it when you need to see what you're doing.

I assume a Hi-Lift is a given. Do you guys rely on those, or carry jack stand (s)? Or just look for an appropriate-sized rock (-;

@Canyonero Good thoughts on survival stuff. I considered that seperate than tools. I carry an Outer Limits First Aid Kit, Suncreen, Bug Spray a Mechanics Jump suit and an extra hoodie for the cold. I don't ride a bike, but I also don't wheel alone so I don't need a bike

The purpose of this thread is Tools, Must Haves, Nice to Haves and spare parts recommended for a 200.

I did add a note to the first post on Survival items

Is that a fan belt or Serpentine belt
Sorry, Serpentine belt. And a carry a few extra wheel lug nuts. On one trip, at a hotel, I came out for my preinspection before heading out, and found all but the anti theft lug remaining on one wheel. I had 3 spare lugs and felt safe enough to drive slow to a toyota close by to buy more.

Last edited:

Rubbermaid action packers (2) work for me so far. Until, you know, ARB drawers and stuff.

Easy enough to remove before a Costco run ;) otherwise no issue with sliding (weather tech floor liner helps) or noise (stuffed to the gills).

I would move the OBDII reader and a print out of the Toyota codes to the Must Have list. You need to know what’s wrong if you are going to fix something.

To the Must Have list I would add:

safety glasses
rags
WD-40
zip ties

To the Nice to Have list I would add:

Ziplock baggies to keep small parts in during disassembly
jeweler screwdriver set
hacksaw
wire brush
can of large tire Fix a Flat for emergency use only
tube of 3M 5200 sealer/adhesive