What to use to plug a small hole in exhaust downtubes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I've got an exhaust leak on the downpipes where they come together in the crotch :D area. Thought I try the easy/lazy route and cold weld it using a JB Weld or similar type products. If this fails, then I'll remove it and MIG/TIG weld it. JB is rated for 500 deg F. Is that good enough or is there something else that's rated for exhaust temps?

TIA.

Ali

I had the same issue and thought about other methods like JB weld didnt seem like it would last long to me, in the end, it was much easier to just get it welded up and be done with it. BTW, I actually ended up having a few small leaks, be sure to check under that flimsy "heat-shield" thingy ...... which I no longer have;)

For the short term put a screw in the hole (correct dia. but short length) and hold it in with a stainless worm gear clamp. If the leak is larger get some of the exhaust wrap, double it up and use the clamp. That should get you around until you have time to remove it and fix it correctly.

From the JB Weld FAQ on their web site:

Q: How much heat can J-B Weld withstand?
A: J-B Weld (Part # 8265-S, 8265, and 8280) can withstand a constant temperature of 500 degrees F. The maximum temperature threshold is approximately 600 degrees F for a short term (10 minutes).

Q: Will J-B Weld work on an automotive exhaust?
A: Because of the extreme temperatures of exhaust systems, we do not recommend J-B Weld for use on exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. Nor do we recommend the product for repairs within the combustion chamber.

-B-

further back I used a soup can and some hose clamps for a temporary fix....used a bead of hightemp. rtv......that was about 4 monthes ago.....its on a section of exhaust tube made by Borla. without paperwork, how would I attempt to get a replacement/repair out of Borla? Just curios, not likely worht pursuing but worht asking.....

I'm not endorsing this, but... I work for an industrial supply company, and we have some stuff called Lab-metal Hi-Temp, that is made to-
"Repair molds, core boxes, ovens, exhaust systems, and more. Seal and finish metal surfaces exposed to temperatures as high as 1000 deg. F. (For higher temperature requirements please test application, for repairs subject to temperatures less than 350 deg. F, use original lab metal. Patch dented metal parts prior to powder coating."
This is the information from the back of the can. It's made by Alvin Products, Inc. (www.alvinproducts.com). It's Fastenal part # 0815233, and can be found on www.fastenal.com. It is pricey ($39.99 plus) but can be powdercoated, drilled and tapped, etc. You can imagine the creative uses people could find for this stuff. Sorry for the plug...

:cheers:

alia176 said:
I've got an exhaust leak on the downpipes where they come together in the crotch :D area. Thought I try the easy/lazy route and cold weld it using a JB Weld or similar type products. If this fails, then I'll remove it and MIG/TIG weld it. JB is rated for 500 deg F. Is that good enough or is there something else that's rated for exhaust temps? TIA.Ali

Don't waste your time with patchwork. Any good muffler shop can lay a MIG bead in the area in about 2 minutes and not only cure the leak but make it stronger and more reliable than before. Mine did that at 80K miles and I had it welded and no further issues.

I agree Jim, temp work isn't the way to go here. I'll take it out and TIG it.

Thanks.

Ali

alia176 said:
I agree Jim, temp work isn't the way to go here. I'll take it out and TIG it. Thanks. Ali

We didn't even have to remove mine, I didn't want the headache of getting those manifold bolts loose. My guy put it on the rack and knocked it out in 5 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom