1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to pay for an 80?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Chuckawalla, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Chuckawalla

Chuckawalla

Hey guys. What would you pay for a locked, black '96 with 73.4K mi, assuming I find it in excellent condition? Dealer is asking $18.9k. Please tell me what sounds right to you, and I can subtract from that for anything I find wrong with it. Haven't seen it yet--got to make a couple hour trip to get there.

Also might look at a sage 40th with 62K, and a dark green 40th with 74K. Owners asking $21.5K and $18.5k resepctively. I'd appreciate your thoughts on these prices, too. Thanks. :slap:

2. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

all too high -- should be between 14 -18K -- look at ebay's "completed auctions" -- tell you what they went for --

e

3. floatinghat

floatinghat

contact and auto broker and ask him to contact the dealer on your behalf and see what they can get. Some dealers fleet departments will work with brokers on used cars.

andre

4. Draken

Draken

Media:
    Where's your location? I think that's a big part of the equation too...Here in the NW it seems LC's are going for at least 2-3k higher than elsewhere in the 48....

Is the dealer's 18.9k his initial asking price?

GL with your hunt...Sounds like you're close to finding the 'one'.

:cheers:

5. Asiarider

Asiarider

Take the 40th in dark green with low mileage and reduce the price a bit. Nice rig if in good condition.

Mike

6. Chuckawalla

Chuckawalla

Thanks for the advice and good wishes, gents.

Draken--I'm in southern Arizona. Yes, $18.9 was the dealer's asking price, but I think that ride is gone, now.

I hope the guy with the sage 40th will come done quite a bit. I like that color much better than the dark green. It's been for sale for some time, now.

7. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Our 40th with 105k was 15.5k from a used car dealer, including sales tax. Drivetrain unmolested(all Toyota fasteners, dry as a bone), interior like new, exterior flawless w/o roofrack or a blemish. MAKE SURE dealer figures include sales tax before comparing them to private party dealers.
    We looked seriously at another '97 with 70k prior to the one we bought, it drove worse, and had more issues than the one with 100k, on 80's mileage is not so much of a concern as maintence history. Also considered a 94 w/ lockers with 200k, it also drove much better, and was in better condition than the 97 with 70k, the single owner knew what he was doing, and had done or did all proper maintence.

8. ParadiseCruiser

ParadiseCruiser

Chucka -

Draken's comments are well stated: Here in Calif the asking price for the '97 low mileage truck you described would still be ~ $20K ~ +/-. Problem is, the non-wheeling buyers are plentiful for this class of SUV and the dealers are still able to get top $$$ for Cruisers.

Trucks that were "born and raised" in some parts of the country - particularly in the southwest - are much less likely to have rust, and other issues more common with, say northeastern trucks. It is always wise to check the history of a truck to see where it has spent most of its life.

Found a San Francisco dealer offering a super deal on a low mileage '97, but the truck looked like it had gone down the Mississippi (without the barge...), had a NY title, yada, yada. It pays to check.

Good luck with your search!

Cheers, R -

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">