What to look out for when buying an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posted about a month ago that i was going to pick up a ‘91 LC and long story short that guy flaked and I’m currently on a 5 hour trip to get my dream car which is a ‘96 LX450 so blessing in disguise

anyway, what are some things I should look for when I give it a once over? I’m pretty decent at listening and spotting issues but wouldn’t mind some extra advice.

Posted about a month ago that i was going to pick up a ‘91 LC and long story short that guy flaked and I’m currently on a 5 hour trip to get my dream car which is a ‘96 LX450 so blessing in disguise

anyway, what are some things I should look for when I give it a once over? I’m pretty decent at listening and spotting issues but wouldn’t mind some extra advice.

Give this list a read! This has all the basics and important things you should look at and inspect before buying...

Give this list a read! This has all the basics and important things you should look at and inspect before buying...

perfect! Thank you!

Reactions: mrq
Things that will be wrong with it that is wrong with all 80s who owners aren't on MUD forum and should just be ignored as issues:

Power seats won't move forward/reverse
Antenna Broken
Side view mirrors will be loose/shaky
Drive Light on Dash doesn't illuminate
Diff lockers lights just blink when engaged
Rear window washer sprays front window
Knuckles Leaking and/or Dry
Leaking Oil from the following:
- Front bottom of engine (Oil Pump Cover O-Ring)
- Valve cover gasket
- Upper Oil Pan gasket

If I was looking for a new 80, I think I'd just make sure it didn't overheat and coolant level looked good and the exhaust didn't smell sweet. If any of that, then just offer less and fix it then drive it!

Check the undercarriage carefully. DON'T BUY RUST. (excessive)
Anybody looking to buy one of these trucks should follow the above advice, NEVER, EVER buy a rusty truck. You'll come to hate that rusty truck when the time comes to wrench on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom