What to look for when buying used (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have not found a similar topic (new user and I did a number of searches but found nothing so I can claim ignorance) but I'm going to look at (probably buy) a 2016 US LC200 with 117k miles at a dealer tomorrow. If I buy, it will be the 6th vehicle purchased at this dealer, including a FJ60 in 1983. I am going to look at the following but need some help determining the major things to look at:
1) Determine if it was used for towing by looking for a break controller present or removed, and looking at the hitch for ware or extensive rust. I will be towing a 22 foot travel trailer
2) Cosmetic things
3) Rear seat DVD operation and finding the remote and head phones
4) 3rd seat operation and third head rest tucked in the back of the drivers side seat
5) Tailgate stuff like the tool kit to see if it has been used or the owner never looked at this kind of stuff and just drove the vehicle for 5 years and never took it off road
6) If there are signs of taking it off road, look for damage, scuffing, dings in wheels, etc.

I plan to drive the 200 but have not driven one before so I can just look for obvious noises and things. This vehicle was maintained for a 5 year lease at the dealership so technically it has been well maintained.

Anything else I should check?

Thanks,

Larry

Check every acc,
check that all seat heaters/fans work, front and back
check rear ac operation
check that it will go into 4Lo
check that it will lock center diff
check cameras, check this in 4Lo as well
check parking sensors
check power seats
check for signs of water leaks
check key fobs
check that physical key will unlock door
check that sunroof drain hoses are operating correctly
check heated steering wheel
check every button, switch, lever.

Rust
The infamous radiator crack (applies up to late 2018 builds)
Steering wheel leather wear

If you can talk them into putting it on a lift check the bell housing for white streaks running down it indicating a leaking valley plate. This is less common on the newer builds but a decent amount of money to fix if it is present.

Just to follow up. I did not check all of these items yet but dealer offered to put it up on a lift for me. 2016 with 112k miles off a 5 year lease and used as a family (mom) vehicle. All service done every 5k miles at the dealership. $57995.00. Three year bumper to bumper service (insurance) plan for $1200. So regardless of if the price is high, low or perfect, I think I have purchased used as good as used can be. Thanks for all of your input. Still going through all the features of the truck to make sure everything works. Dealer said everything that is wrong will be covered for the first 90 days regardless of the service agreement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom