What to look for in a half cut? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been planning and researching a diesel conversion for my '94 for months. I have found what I think may be an acceptable half cut, but it has been sitting for at least a couple of years. What are some typical problem areas that one should look for.

I have been planning and researching a diesel conversion for my '94 for months. I have found what I think may be an acceptable half cut, but it has been sitting for at least a couple of years. What are some typical problem areas that one should look for.

Has it been started in the last couple of years?
Make sure there is no blow by, major leaks and most importantly that everything is there!
Most important thing in my opinion is the wiring harness. Hard to find, and pricey when you do. If its a RHD, you will need to extend that harness to fit your LHD.
Check the coolant, make sure there is coolant in there (Toyota Red preferred) and not water. A few years of sitting with water would almost guarantee the block is corroded all to hell.
Is it a manual or an auto?
Do the gears engage?
Check for excessive smoke. 12v or 24v may be a factor for you.

These are just some of the things I looked for when I bought my half cut. Shy of doing a compression test, I cant think of anything else.

Are you doing this yourself or is someone else performing the swap?

Dan

Make sure that you have things as compatible as possible with respect to electronic systems or the wiring is going to be a real challenge.

Fresh half cuts are available, but are expensive to move around.

~John

it is a RHD 24v, JDM. Automatic. The person I'm dealing with is selling it for someone else, so getting facts are a challenge. Still in crate since shipping. Supposedly everything needed for a swap is there. My biggest problem is, I'm in FLA and the cut is in Cali. I'm flying out in a few weeks.
I was planning the swap myself, but am considering having it done out there. Still on the fence about that. I can ship my rolling LC there for less than half of shipping the cut here. But I don't know the tech doing the work, and I won't be around follow up, still weighing my options on that.

I'm still in the market for a quality half cut, if the price is right I don't mind the shipping

I have had a hard time finding a half cut, I don't mind he shipping if the price is right.

Check with Proffitts. They were going to hook me up with a half cut out of Japan, but I managed to find one stateside before they did.
I heard their plans to fill 2 containers with half cuts didnt come to fruition due to the tsunami that happened over there.
However, last I heard Jerimiah was in Australia trying to put an order together.
SOR also has some, although their prices are high.

We have it here in Malaysia. But I have tell you that is not a cheap half cut to buy right now. The price shoot up right after the tsunami, is expensive now.:D

How expensive? I may have sourced the parts from Dubai, but they won't ship a half cut

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom