What to keep out of donor truck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm embarking on my BJ60 3B swap into my 62.. Just wondering what I need to keep out of the BJ... Going from the 2FE with an auto. Also what should I expect with this swap? Is it straight forward or is there a lot of rewiring? Any advice is appreciated.. Mb.

And yes I have spied of other threads but I'm still wondering.. ;)

My advice is if possible keep the whole thing until you've full completed the swap, you'll kick yourself if you get rid of the donor then need something out of it.

The motor mounts off the frame is a good one. Saves quite a bit of work. They are way different from the 62 mounts and located farther aft on the frame. Not hard to remove either.

Tranny crossmember. Even if it's the older style you can still bolt it to your frame. Newer style is similar to a 62 but is in a different location about 9 inches forward. Auto crossmember is different.

Fan Shroud. Radiator, as the bottom outlet is in a different location.

Drive shafts. The easy way to mount the older to newer is swap the ends of your 62 shafts onto the ends of the older shafts. No drilling of flanges this way.

Battery Trays if they are not rusted out as you need the second one

Vacuum tank from the fire wall

The wiring is doable or you can simplify it by eliminating the Edic off the 3B (has it's pro and con side)

PM or email me if you have questions or have parts to get rid of but like Bee-Jay42 said only after you are done should you get rid of any parts.

Tony

Thanks for the info.. Ya I'd like to swap Everything in.. Make it as close as possible... I'm more worried about the wiring... What about fuel tanks? Or do just swap filler neck? Hopefully I can have everything out this week... Need a day without my kids... Hahaha! Mb.
image-4271371143.jpg

Thanks for the info.. Ya I'd like to swap Everything in.. Make it as close as possible... I'm more worried about the wiring... What about fuel tanks? Or do just swap filler neck? Hopefully I can have everything out this week... Need a day without my kids... Hahaha! Mb.

No reason you can't use your existing tank but you will have to rework the pick up (ie eliminate the pump and add some tubing) or if the tank from the donor is in good shape it will bolt in.

Changing out the filler neck is a good idea as well to get rid of that restrictor in the neck.

Tony

10-4... I will check out the tank I'm the BJ... I think I'll need to replace the filler tube as well, the pump nozzles up here are larger... Better giddy up... Work a night shift tonight so let's see what I can do here.... Mb.

I went through a 2H swap into a 62 and I would recommend keeping the donor truck until you are finished. There are a bunch of little things that you will find yourself going back for.

Wait till you see the size of your 2fe hooked to the auto and tcase if you think that looks big...

As for the fan it depends. You say that you have a 2FE so what is the good fan off of a 2F or a 3FE? The fan off a 3FE (stock 62) won't fit in the shroud from a 3B. It's a much larger diameter. And you need the shroud from a 3B because the engine sits back another 8 inches or so compared to the 3FE.

Steve, over at EBI should have a 3B fan for you. Recently moved his shop but I believe he was in Port Moody. Found the link this should give you his ph #http://www.extremebends.com/

Could you post some pics of the rear engine mount? I have never seen a 3B in a wagon mounted that way and if its a Toyota factory mount I would like to learn more about it. All I am familiar with is the crossmember mount under the tranny and that looks like a bellhousing style of mount. (I am talking about that bracket in your pic forward of the tcase and tranny inline with the back of the bellhousing)Post pics of the area on the frame where it's bolted as well.

Tony

Yeah thats the one. My only question is what the heck was it for? If it wasn't hooked to anything in the donor just chuck it.

Anybody know the purpose of that thing? And why it is braced to the tcase shift pivot?

Tony

Ive only ever seen that setup once, it was on a BJ60 that i stripped the H55F out of. You could tell the parts were OEM and not something someone fabbed up, but i really didnt have any idea what it was for.

I stumbled across it in the EPC under the 'propeller shaft' diagram. Theres a different setup for both the 4 speed and 5 speed manual gearboxes. The EPC labels the parts as propeller shaft dust covers!?!

Heres a link to a diagram at ToyoDIY.com

60 prop shaft dust cover EPC.jpg
60 prop shaft dust cover EPC.jpg

Snailtrail

Now that you posted that diagram I have seen this on an 83 FJ60 (US rig). But I only payed attention to that stupid hoop not how it was mounted to the bellhousing.

Thanks for the info, this is the good thing about the forum

So Mb, like I said go ahead and lose it.

Tony

Awesome! First on the list the next time I get to grace my hands upon the beast! One less thing to clean I suppose, and my weight to hp ratio will go down! ;) thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom