What to expect to pay for an 84 long bed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My boss' neighbor has an 84 long bed pickup that he's considering selling. I stopped by the other day and we chatted a bit, I made it clear to him that I'm an enthusiast and he said that he really wants me to have it if he sells it. He doesn't know what he'd ask for it, so I thought I'd post here to see what we should budget :grinpimp:

It has 170k miles, he's the second owner (since about 1990), and is in really good shape. Clean engine bay, minimal rust (you can see some in the wheel wells), and the interior will need work, but mechanically it seems really good. It even has working AC. Here's some pics!

84toyota0.jpg
84toyota1.jpg

Looks like a pretty good truck. Similar rigs here in AZ go for around $4500 or so.

If you're considering getting it someday I'd attack that rust NOW. It will only accelerate and those beds are 2-piece at the seam along the wheelwell. That's where the rust will be the worst.

On the subject... what's more valuable/desirable for this generation - Long or short bed? Regular or Xtra cab?

On the subject... what's more valuable/desirable for this generation - Long or short bed? Regular or Xtra cab?
I prefer the xcab. Loved mine. Wish I still owned it. The extra space behind the seat was not only useful, it made the cab less claustrophobic.

4Runner (wait, was that one of the answers?)

Xtra cab, shortbed, longbed in that order IMHO

Anything less than 4K for a clean 84 rig with everything working is a good deal. 4-5k is fair at best but it’s still a single cab carbed truck... long bed is sweet if you haul crap which everyone does... wouldn’t mind being able to put my dirt bike in the truck straight and shut the tail gate... this being said xtra cab short bed is my desired choice even though I have a single cab. The few times single cab is nice is when you DON’T want to give anyone a ride or you are wheeling. My shorter wheel base was able to cut some corners just a tad better than my buddies xtra cab. The small amount of times it helps doesn’t outweigh the storage factor or the leg room. I’m 5’9” and fit just right. An inch taller and it would be uncomfortable...

Thank you all for the replies! I am hoping to get some progress this week to see if he's really wanting to sell and for how much, but this gives me a great place to start setting my (and wife's) expectations. Plans for it if I do buy it will be to put some stock sized BFG AT/KO2s on, a towing tongue on the front, and eventually a flatbed. Otherwise just generally restore it. Would love to do a paint job and get those sick 80's graphics remade too.

It will be my DD and a loaner off-road rig for my friends. Hoping I can actually pick it up :grinpimp:

EDIT: On leg room and comfort, I'm 6'2'' and used to have an 86 single cab. I didn't get to drive it for very long but I remember it fitting me well. First gens, however, are a bit too cramped for me. Going to have to test drive the 84 for sure.

Last edited:
You lost me at flatbed.... and spare rig for your friends???? I’ve clearly made sub-par decisions in friend making....

You lost me at flatbed.... and spare rig for your friends???? I’ve clearly made sub-par decisions in friend making....
Most people in my generation don't have enough money to afford an off-road rig.

Why not flat bed?

I’ve always hated flat beds. They are incredibly restrictive in a “bring tie downs or you’re screwed” kind of way. Unless you’re a 3/4 ton dodge hauling hay what’s the point? Not to mention they look like crap compared to a sweet 80’s SR5 striped bed. Most people use the flat bed as a last resort because the salt bed or some idiot PO killed theirs. At that point I get it, bed’s junk can’t find a good one so build something in place. But to remove a perfectly good bed (and it’s the more uncommon long bed!) and stick a flat bed back their?? Tsk tsk tsk LOL
Hope you know I’m partially kidding, just busting your balls. On a serious note, I’ve seen like 2 sweet flatbeds (In the flesh) that didn’t look like dog crap. Most of them look hacked. Possibly why my image of flatbeds is tainted...

I’ve always hated flat beds. They are incredibly restrictive in a “bring tie downs or you’re screwed” kind of way. Unless you’re a 3/4 ton dodge hauling hay what’s the point? Not to mention they look like crap compared to a sweet 80’s SR5 striped bed. Most people use the flat bed as a last resort because the salt bed or some idiot PO killed theirs. At that point I get it, bed’s junk can’t find a good one so build something in place. But to remove a perfectly good bed (and it’s the more uncommon long bed!) and stick a flat bed back their?? Tsk tsk tsk LOL
Hope you know I’m partially kidding, just busting your balls. On a serious note, I’ve seen like 2 sweet flatbeds (In the flesh) that didn’t look like dog crap. Most of them look hacked. Possibly why my image of flatbeds is tainted...
lol, no worries. I like flatbeds a lot, they're more versatile I think. Like my flatbed trailer, I can make some side rails and keep those in if I want, but I'm not restricted to the bed dimensions and tie downs... my 2010 Tacoma had a dearth of usable tie downs, and those sliding ones they had were too high up to be useful. Whatever I get, it will be a properly designed and built bed, not some back yard weld up job :)

I agree @RiverRatMatt. When I started my current project - the '84 Xtra cab, I wanted a factory bed. But because it was so hard to find one, I started researching traybacks, utes, overland flatbeds, etc. I decided to go that route...

We're about 75% through the build of just that - an off-road-oriented flatbed... high-clearance, slightly shorter than a short bed, tapered rear corners, spare sunk into the bed, fold-down & removable side rails, etc. The flatbed is all steel - no wood. There will be a LOT of tiedown cutouts.

I ended up finding a 4wd bed from an '84. It's sitting on a shelf at the bodyshop for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom