What to do with this hacked motor mount on the frame? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

The PO of my 40 did some hacking to make things fit; it had a manual steering box that (from the number stamped on it) was from a mid-60's Chevy full size car. There was no neat tube welded thru the front of the frame, just a butchered hole. And the frame motor mount has a chunk also cut out of it that made room for the steering column. Finally there is a thick mounting plate where the box was that had only 1 bolt still holding it one when I stopped driving this thing; one bolt was gone and one was broken.

My question is what to do with the frame mount. I've never dove this deep into a vehicle before so learning everything as I go here. Can this be welded up to something a bit less sketchy or is it easy enough to remove and put a new one on there? I'm hoping to find a later 2F/H42/TC and swap them in here and my understanding is these frame mounts are the same for the 2F. Which brings me to my next bit of confusion - what exactly are people referring to when they say "motor mounts"? It seemed like there were 3 separate things here - the frame mount, the round puck thing that held the motor to the frame mount, and the long mounts hanging off the engine block. Just want to make sure I understand the terminology. I wasn't clear if I had to save the mounts actually bolted to the 1F block.

I've not decided what sort of steering to go with, so not sure if I can leave that mounting plate there and try to remove the broken bolt or if it has to be cut off.

Any comments or advice here are welcome.

motor mount.JPG

Frame.JPG

Plate.JPG

I am currently undoing a really bad 350 install and putting a 1984 2F into my 1972. I ground the rivets on the frame side engine mounts and sourced unmolested mounts which bolted right into the original rivet holes. I will flip the bolts around after I weld the mounts to the frame. In the picture you can see the rubber motor mounts, an engine mount and both frame side mounts. Good luck. I hope this helps.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Thank you, it helped a lot - I know what the pieces are when i see them, just wasn't clear on what each individual piece was. Now I have a name for each of the 3 pieces! (If this is in the service manual I missed it.)

What you are doing is exactly what i'm hoping to do (mine also is a 72). Do I need to keep the engine mounts (the one you have on the right there, the ones bolted to the block) from the 1F? I guess I will just to be safe.

As far as your new mounts, any tips on where you got them are appreciated. I'll start looking at places I've seen mentioned here - I wasn't sure if you could actually get those.

I recently removed my frame horns that the front bumper mounts to get to the rust underneath by grinding off one side of the rivet and hammering out the other half with a punch. It worked well and I noted that the steel the FJ frame is made of is quite easy to work with.

If you can get a grinder on the rivets holding the motor mounts on they should come off easy then you can get new ones and MIG weld them on.

you may want to get the FJ60 motor mounts for the 2F; they were used on my truck recently when we found the smaller FJ40 mounts broken - call Kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com and he can hook you up with the right parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom