What to do with this emissions/evap control stuff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm switching out the old bench seat for buckets in my Aug of 1971 FJ40 and I'm not sure what to do with all this extra plumbing hooked up to the tank. The center section of the seat appears to have three lines attached to vent or something? Is this something I:

A) can delete and just use a newer gas cap that vents if that's what this does?
B) Can reroute?
C) Have to keep in place below the seat?

E7D5496F-E584-4971-A813-8D1CE136620F.jpeg

F3CEB5A4-9422-4CF7-9F92-AAF92CE0AE8F.jpeg

0F0207F7-D247-434E-A311-2C0E771EB4A0.jpeg

1A615F74-1897-44A1-81DC-802E7056C358.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s the system minus the seat. I don't need to do emissions so I'm hoping I can just cap off the two lines at the tank and get the vented gas cap but if anybody knows better I'd love the advice. That's basically what I'm guessing based off a few relevant threads

B91095C6-EC83-41FB-9644-9F6EA51372CA.jpeg

Last edited:
who says it's simply safe or correct to remove all that fuel vapor recovery parts topic there ?

who says it's simply safe or correct to remove all that fuel vapor recovery parts topic there ?
This is exactly why I'm asking. It appears to be something they only had for a maybe two years and kind of an oddball thing based off my research. Other people have removed or retrofitted so different seats could go in. I'm simply asking what people did to do that correctly and safely

This is exactly why I'm asking. It appears to be something they only had for a maybe two years and kind of an oddball thing based off my research. Other people have removed or retrofitted so different seats could go in. I'm simply asking what people did to do that correctly and safely

With a damaged evap separator, here is the different path I took that removed it.... < click here >

With a damaged evap separator, here is the different path I took that removed it.... < click here >
Actually one of the threads I was referencing was yours but I definitely have different/more primitive components than your later model 40. Some of the replacement tanks have bypassed this old design anyways so it looks like something can be done. I don't know if there is some sort of internal changes integrated in or they simply bypassed it

Actually one of the threads I was referencing was yours but I definitely have different/more primitive components than your later model 40. Some of the replacement tanks have bypassed this old design anyways so it looks like something can be done. I don't know if there is some sort of internal changes integrated in or they simply bypassed it
Did you ever figure this out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom