What to do with the dash (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a fairly flawless dash for my '75 and I have a dash cap that I was struggling to conceive of an action/ use plan for with my very intensly cracked old dash.

Now I am stuck between an attempt at rescuing the old dash or using the cap on the nearly flawless dash as a way of protecting its condition (much like a dash carpet) from the extreme desert UV.

Opinions?

I would say protect the nice dash with the cap, Or simply store it for a rainy day when you need a little $$$ and just run the cap
Whats the story on the dash cover? My dash is totally cracked as well.

Well, I have not installed one to date. I have heard varied reports. I think it varies with the condition of the original base (dash) and the prep for the install.
Which is why I have racked my mind on my old dash. It is really, really bad and I am in NM where the heat would likely warp a bad instal. I have read of the caps melting to form around the cracks...but I am guessing extreme heat and poor prep in that instance. I think with my old one it would take a lot of shaving and then build up (to original shape) in respective areas.

Currently the only covers avaialble are for the later model pigs. Though some have made them work with older models.

Your 74 may have the later model cap.

Edit: went to look at your pig...all of those matchbooks and your ashtrays are missing? :rolleyes:
Nice Pig...so, you ever do a dash cap on a 40?

Last edited:
For the dask cap install you will have to cut off any rised materal from old dash. Clean old dash from all dust and armor all. Use rtv to bond the new dash cap to old dash. The best way to insure a good bond is to use a vaccum bag over the cap. This is the best way I can think of. I have not done it yet but thats the way I plan to install the to new dash cap in my pig. Good luck.

You never watch Martha?

Put your steak in the ziplock and add some marinade. You only need to cover the steak a little. Close the ziplock leaving only a small little bit open (just enough to insert a straw). Suck the air out and the little bit of maridade will now cover the steak. Close before the air gets back in.

This tip will save hunderds of dollars in marinade and only cost thousands in ziplocks.

Space bags do the same thing and are awesome for small molding projects.

Last edited:
Not like martha

Here is a pic that might help clear the confusion.
VacuumBagLayup.jpg

Sorry so big. You use special 3M tape to seal a piece of plastic bag over the top of the dash cap and old dash with the wet rtv between the two. You can get a vac attachment that locks through the plastic bag air tight then just pull a vacumm on the bag it will pull the new cap tightly to the old and let rtv cure before removal. Your dash will have a perfect even bond. I use this method at work on composites all the time. Well its just an idea, maybe more work that its worth. :beer:

I put a dash cap on my '55. I did not bother with a vacuum bag or any of that. You can see what I did in post #55 in my POTM thread here https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-iron-...2-september-potm-cruiser-guy-guatemala-2.html

While a vacuum bag would be nice I think the dash cap actually fits quite well "as is" and the cardboard that you see around the edges of mine simply are there to ensure optimum contact at the edges.

The dash cap has been installed for over a year with no ill effects here in the tropical sun of Guatemala. My dash was cracked but there were no missing parts or raised portions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom