What to do with stock radio slot/ fixing dash cracks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at getting a locking console and I'm wondering if I get on that you can mount your radio in, what to do with the stock dash slot? Any ideas? Pictures would be great. I've been thinking this too, I could fiberglass in the hole and then rhino line the whole dash, any other ideas on filling in large cracks on the dash, compounds, etc? I searched the threads but didn't have any luck.

so this is what I'm thinking,

if I take the radio out of the slot, fill it with something for form, then slap a layer of fiberglass over it, then coat it in roll on bed liner
lc dash.jpg
tail-gate-texture-2.jpg

expanding foam...

I have thought about doing this as well, I have a 62 but have the cracks in the dash at usual locations. As for filling the void you could use that expanding foam stuff. Im not quite sure how well it adheres to the dash material but its worth a shot. Im probably going to go the linex route however. I have seen both in pickup beds and the linex not only looks better but seems so hold up better to wear and also fading from sunlight.

Yeah foam might be good. Hey, I just snagged this pic off the net of the fj60 interior for something to get a visual, where is the clutch pedal???? lol

Must be the new tiptronic land cruiser

I fiberglassed my dash pad to get rid of the cracks. I posted something up a while ago. I think the thread was "cracked dash pad repair". It would be easy to glass over the radio hole. Then you could drill holes for gauges there.

I fiberglassed my dash pad to get rid of the cracks. I posted something up a while ago. I think the thread was "cracked dash pad repair". It would be easy to glass over the radio hole. Then you could drill holes for gauges there.

thanks, searching those key words now

Good work man! I just commented on your post.

dash pad?

I have been planning on just covering my sun cracked dash with a dash pad from JC Whitney. Has anyone purchased one of these before and how was the quality? As far as the stereo hole, Good place for a storage pocket or instrument cluster. I like the idea of Rhino lining too but I would want someone else to be the guinea pig.

Mine is currently rolled in liner, looked good and held up great for about a year then the cracks came through on my one super deep crack. I credit that to using a silicone filler gel/paste. It looks really good. I'd let it air out for a bit before you put it back on, as I threw mine back in when it dried and nearly killed me.

as for gauges I'm going to put a old 4 runner , 3 gauge set (tilt, altimeter,etc) up top on the dash, just to make it look different. I'll run wires to it and rhino line it as well. Should look unique.

this is the gauge set I'm talking about,
o_VC8Xy4ZJUf94EOl.jpg

Dash pad from $or or ebay is a pretty cheap fix. IIRC use two sided tape and not the glue they provide (makes removal a hell of a lot easier).

get one of the 3 gauge DIN mounts from "glowshift.com".. install aftermarket gauges

I'm looking at getting a locking console and I'm wondering if I get on that you can mount your radio in, what to do with the stock dash slot? Any ideas? Pictures would be great. I've been thinking this too, I could fiberglass in the hole and then rhino line the whole dash, any other ideas on filling in large cracks on the dash, compounds, etc? I searched the threads but didn't have any luck.

Put a set of nice gauges in there.

I just pulled that pic to show, I have one off of a older model 4 runner almost identical. I am not sure what this particular one came from, sorry.

Wheres the 4X4 shifter?

it's like I said above, I pulled this pic off google just to get a idea of what we are looking at, no idea who's crusier this is, but it's also missing a clutch pedal.....weird .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom