What to do with my Running 2F Out of my 1985 FJ60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to do a motor swap in the fj60 and am trying to decide what I am going to do with the original engine. I have reached out to a few people and I am getting mixed answers. So I figured I would turn to this group of professionals. The 2F runs good, I drive it Probably 3 to 4 days a week. The question is should I sell as a Complete Running engine? and if so I have no Idea what it would be worth. Or do I tear it down and part it out.

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong location and thank you for your opinion

you can post up in the classifieds:

having the compression #'s will help
also a video of start and running will help
also if you are willing to ship it or local pickup only
the more details the best
and any history of the engine

no help on pricing

Not a much interest in my 3FE. Except for one member here.

I am about to do a motor swap in the fj60 and am trying to decide what I am going to do with the original engine. I have reached out to a few people and I am getting mixed answers. So I figured I would turn to this group of professionals. The 2F runs good, I drive it Probably 3 to 4 days a week. The question is should I sell as a Complete Running engine? and if so I have no Idea what it would be worth. Or do I tear it down and part it out.

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong location and thank you for your opinion

Sell it complete if you can because if you part it out you'll have some parts left over that no one will ever want.

you can post up in the classifieds:

having the compression #'s will help
also a video of start and running will help
also if you are willing to ship it or local pickup only
the more details the best
and any history of the engine

no help on pricing
miles? Original, never been rebuilt? De-smogged or not?

Thanks Jim…. Like I don’t already know.

Good on you for leaving a snooty comment.

Not snooty, just reality. The 3FE is a less common engine than the 2F therefore the opportunity to sell a used 3FE is reduced. Just comes down to numbers of the vehicles the engines were originally sold with. 2F will work across multiple decades and Land Cruisers, the 3FE had a short run in North America in the 62s and early 80s. 3FE is a good engine but doesn't have the same following as a 2F in some respects.

Price / value will depend greatly on condition of the engine and how well you can document that. Mileage?

These things are heavy and difficult to ship, so you're most likely looking for a local buyer and that always affects value.

I would not include the stock H42 transmission. They're essentially worthless and will hinder engine sale if you price the package high.

FWIW, it took me a long time to even GIVE AWAY two H42 trans that where low mileage and in good working condition.

GLWS

FWIW, it took me a long time to even GIVE AWAY two H42 trans that where low mileage and in good working condition.

GLWS

unless the trans is run dry, they are very indestructable
I have 1 as a spare, others went to scrap

unless the trans is run dry, they are very indestructable
I have 1 as a spare, others went to scrap

I thought they would be very expensive

Agree, a complete setup— engine/transmission/transfer case is a nice swap option for someone with an earlier F engine/trans/transfer case.

I paid $1200.00 for the complete setup from a FJ60 with 85,000 miles. Now lives in my 67 FJ40.

I thought they would be very expensive

not that I've found
in the last 10 years, I've sold 1 for $100 from an early 60 series, short version, for a split case transfer
I've sold a few with 1 piece transfer, but it was the complete setup with bellhousing for 3 speed swaps, which is a different than the later H42
the later 85+ long version H42, never sold 1 of them as it is such an easy swap for an H55

280000 to 300000, all between 150-174 have the video of doing every cylinder. Runs great I drive it 3 days a week. and is also my families road trip vehicle been on several 1000 plus mile trips in the last year
How many miles? Compression numbers? I need to rebuild mine so I may be interested to avoid downtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom