What to do with memory wire in 12v stereo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m installing a 12v stereo into a 24v 70 series. I have a step down converter,but have no clue how to wire up the memory wire.. I’ve searched but can’t find any answers… other than to get an aux 12v battery, but i don’t have room for that. any help would be appreciated… thanks!

Hi
There a basically three options :
1. If you want the memory to stay AND not go through 2. or 3., you need to wire the DCDC step-down in a way it is permanently on. That is where to attach the memory straight.
I put a relay on the ignition switch to turn main power for the radio and other 12V consuming units on/off by ignition.
Downside: the DCDC step-down nevertheless puts a permanent idle draw on your battery and will eventually drain it. Not ideal.
2. Take 12V from one of your two starter batteries.
Downside: Serial battery setups suffer from drawing load from one battery only. The memory load is very little, but stil ... Not ideal
3. Take another 12V battery. Easy if you have a house battery anyway. In any other case: Difficult, in particular for recharging.

I eventually ditched the 12V unit and got a 24V unit for trucks. Quite cheap on Amazon.
Good luck Ralf

Doesn't the stock Toyota inverter behind the glovebox have a constant 12V wire AND an ACC 12V wire?

That's how my radio is wired in. I thought they were all like that.

I also pulled 12V off it for my keyless entry system. Zero issues.

Doesn't the stock Toyota inverter behind the glovebox have a constant 12V wire AND an ACC 12V wire?

The JDM models come standard with a 24 to 12 step down converter ? I have found several different brands and models in the Euro spec 7x models but nothing oem or even dealer installed accessory

The PO installed a $25 24v crappy Amazon stereo. Which also has a non functioning memory… any pics of that inverter? Doesn’t look like mine has one. Or maybe it was pulled out?

The JDM models come standard with a 24 to 12 step down converter ? I have found several different brands and models in the Euro spec 7x models but nothing oem or even dealer installed accessory
Thanks for that I may go this route if I can find a good 24v stereo. I might stop in at the local truck stop to see what they have… thanks for the help!

That's a great question. My 1992 HZJ77 came with a converter behind the glovebox. Part number: 86206-60031 which does look like a Japanese market standard.

1687344777605.png

Here's a picture of the converter behind the glovebox on the RH side.

1687344800155.png

Last edited:
Continental makes a nice HD 24 volt radio with bluetooth:

And with a CD player if you still rock those:

Continental makes a nice HD 24 volt radio with bluetooth:

And with a CD player if you still rock those:
Cool thanks! Bought it!

If anyone is looking for this radio, I just received an email from anchor express that there’s a back order with unknown eta on this item…. They have no idea when the radio will come in…
That's a bummer. There are sellers on ebay, and I can go digging for where I got mine from, but that was a really good price and why I posted that link. Just googledave the PN and I'm sure you can find it elsewhere.

I wired mine directly to my first 12V battery and installed a battery equalizer (Vanner Voltmaster 60 off ebay) to keep things balanced. The equalizer is switched by a solenoid off ACC power, so it only goes to work whenever I drive and will restore whatever charge is depleted from that first battery.

The equalizer also behaves as a 24 to 12 converter when the car is on, so It provides a solution for main power to the stereo and any other 12V accessories up to 60 amps.

The Voltmaster model was a tight squeeze but I made it work, I plan on posting a thread sometime to share the install and solution.

I wired mine directly to my first 12V battery and installed a battery equalizer (Vanner Voltmaster 60 off ebay) to keep things balanced. The equalizer is switched by a solenoid off ACC power, so it only goes to work whenever I drive and will restore whatever charge is depleted from that first battery.

The equalizer also behaves as a 24 to 12 converter when the car is on, so It provides a solution for main power to the stereo and any other 12V accessories up to 60 amps.

The Voltmaster model was a tight squeeze but I made it work, I plan on posting a thread sometime to share the install and solution.

Those are nice units.

L:eek:oking at installing a Vanner in my rig. Wanted to see how you ended up with yours. Any chance you can post some photos on the install incl the switched solenoid. TIA mate.

L:eek:oking at installing a Vanner in my rig. Wanted to see how you ended up with yours. Any chance you can post some photos on the install incl the switched solenoid. TIA mate.

Apologies for the delay! A newborn and cold weather have kept me from poking around in my garage. I posted a thread about this this morning, enjoy!:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom