?? What to do LX or LC Hers or Mine?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know most people would say having two cruisers to chose from is not such a bad thing to have. But currently I have my wifes 97lx with about 180 on the dial and my 96LC with 355. My wife wants to graduate into a hundy and we were thinking of just selling hers and be done with it. But I was thinking hmmm less miles a year newer I could swap suspensions and rubber with no problem both vehicles drive perfect and the 97 has just about everything the 96 has but the one infamous thing it doesnt??? Front and rear lockers factory :doh:.
So with that said do I give up on moving up and over to the 97 or do I just keep mine with the miles and all the rust? I am dreaming of this every night now. It would be like getting a new project vehicle. She has a white with that crappy champange body moldings they would have to go for sure. I keep imaging arb in the front and whatever else I can dream of. That was the one issue I had with my rig sticking all this money into a vehicle with so many miles just doesnt make sense to me. Even though I spend money very badly to begin with. So my mud brother is the locker really worth just sticking with or do I take the younger hotter model?? Lets say its either the boiler or the little sister tell me what you think. I need to make a choice because I see a sweet hundy that I want to get.

Keep both :) If you have time for tinkering, can't you swap axles as well as suspension and then have lockers on the 97?

Well said gentlemen, Ryan when should I expect you for the spray body work around the mouldings? I just love yours. thanks for the input so far

Like other said, swap the axles into the 97. A friend of mine bought an 80 with lockers off ebay, swapped axles into his, then sold, the ebay one for about $800 less than he bought it.

Its clear that you dont know that Hundy is short for 100 (hundred) series Land Cruiser....

Keep th LX after swapping the axles. Then sell the 96 as a 'hunting truck'. Get her a Hundy, and live your dream.

I wouldn't sell either one for economic reasons. Aside from the cult following of Landcruisers, a 15 year old vehicle with 355k miles on it just isn't worth very much. What I'm saying is that it's worth the $1500 you could sell it for just to have a backup vehicle in my opinion. I just don't think it will get you much money on the market to sell it, so keep it, get out the sawz-all, stick lockrights in front and back and have a sweet trailer rig. Just an idea.

Its clear that you dont know that Hundy is short for 100 (hundred) series Land Cruiser....

Oh thank the heavens. Know I did not know it was short for 100 series :doh:, yes I am releived that you don't have your eye on a sweet Hyundai ;p

I wouldn't sell either one for economic reasons. Aside from the cult following of Landcruisers, a 15 year old vehicle with 355k miles on it just isn't worth very much. What I'm saying is that it's worth the $1500 you could sell it for just to have a backup vehicle in my opinion. I just don't think it will get you much money on the market to sell it, so keep it, get out the sawz-all, stick lockrights in front and back and have a sweet trailer rig. Just an idea.

Agreed. Part it out if the body and interior panels are in any kind of good condition, cut the back off and turn it into a truggy. Sawz-all Sawz-all Sawz-all

Yes its going to hard selling the rust bucket. But on the other hand whomever comes and test drives it will not know that it has the kind of miles it has on it by the way it drives. My maintenace has been kind of overdone somewhat. Considering I dont have a car payment and havent had one in 5 years I like to get oil change every 6 months bcuz i dont really have much of a work commute anymore say 5 miles. Just did the 90k service on both vehicles.

Truggy huh? Goggled some pictures to show the wife and she said really WT (whiskey tango)my friend. Though sounds kind of nice. My daughter is a bit young for car thoughts right now. The oldest being 10

I going to take some pictures of both axles and get your opinions onhow they look. ttyl

Younger , hotter , model absolutely-.... lockers... really?? who care's... you live in Jersey
sell your locked truck to someone who thinks they need em - and before it rusts away...

younger, hotter does sound good. Here are some pictures of the axles of the 96 that I would be transferring, but skintunes makes some valid points as well. Are these too rusted? I will follow up with the 97 which look alot better.

2012-02-09 14.29.44.jpg

2012-02-09 14.30.59.jpg

2012-02-09 14.31.05.jpg

97 axles

Here are the pictures of the 97. They kind of look much better imho. FWIW do I really want to put rusted locked axles over these ones? Let me know whatch think?

2012-02-09 14.27.38.jpg

2012-02-09 14.24.03.jpg

2012-02-09 14.24.35.jpg

Those shots really aren't of rust, crow- Normal oxidation/scaling for NE trucks- I thought you were referring to body or structural- like seams/rocker/mounts- what you have is just more of a nuissance as far as underside wrenching- at this point in time w/ those miles you may not generate lots o resale $$$$ - so as a spare known vehicle- it may be better to keep- good parts warehouse for your other cruiser

Easy call to me - swap the axles & do the rebuild they need while you have them in transition - you have the main floor harness already in the LX body & you could get $$$ for the floor harness from the '96 (I have an unlocked floor harness we could PM about if that is of interest to you), so end result you would have a 16X,XXX mile LX rolling on freshened locked axles - even if you don't use 'em, we all know what they do for resale desire far, far down the road when you get there.
Aside from the parts you need for the axles for a rebuild, you have all the other parts so cutting down to 1 80- to maintain, insure, just plain have in the driveway - I'd cut loose the 3XX,XXX miled one as it's getting to the point where you would have a lot of things in the powertrain that need attention far sooner than the 16X,XXX powertrain - it has half the miles of the LC & it's not like we're talking the diff between a 15K & 30K miled pair of 80's here.

Swap axles & do the rebuild to 'em - end up with a 16X,XXX miled 80 with freshened locked axles - If you are new to axle swapping & hit any snags - PM me.

I even just modded/notched my old unlocked RR axle housing (you might do the same if you think there's a good reason - you're full floater in both, so it's really just your judgement call on that.

Alright so thats 5 for the lockers exchange and 1 against. Though I agree with skintunes being that I have used them sparingly but in the same breath Linus has a great point that a freshly lockered LX would be great for future resell if they day ever came. So Now the waiting game until I find the wife another car to drive I will just sit back and wait till I can start the movement. Ideas are popping through my head right now but they will have to wait. thanks again for everyones ideas.

Re build and wirewheel/paint the Locked axles and stick them under the 97. Like you said the 96s' mileage is bringing its value way down no matter what so why let the axles go with it?

Having said that, you know ur truck and with all the maintenance u say u do the mileage on the 96 might not be so much of an issue(we all know these trucks can literally go forever if treated properly). Maybe u need the $ the 97 would bring for other things? An ARBengages/disengages a lot quicker than the elockers, ive had 3 elockers and 8 or 9 ARBs. Do u 'beat' on the 96(i merely mean wheel rough, dont care about scratches and dents) maybe the 97 is better off $old?

If ive learned anything in the 12 years in this hobby, its that 'resale' value doesnt belong in a sentence (or paragraph) ur discussing a vehicle ur gonna wheel(really wheel, not drive down a dirt road with a fishing pole or shotgun, 30/30 in the cargo area) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom