What to do during paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my rig in for paint. We are taking the hard top off and putting in new weather stripping. Where the heck to I buy it? There was some cheap stuff and some very expensive stuff at two of the vendors on this site. I want it done right. What else do I need to be doing while we are tearing this bad boy down? GREAT SITE!!!!

TO DO List

My suggestion is make a To Do list. prioritize what you want to do based on how much money you have to spend and what your preference is to be completed first. You can spend as much as you want in the re-furb or restore process. All that depends on what you want to do with the ride.
Quality of replacement parts should be high on your list. Kirk at Cruiser Outfitters can supply you with OEM to aftermarket parts, that is your decision based on the intended use. there are other suppliers and vendors that offer OEM parts as well as aftermarket, such as: Cool Cruisers, Spector Off Road, Cruiser Corps to name a few. Just shop around based on what's on your To Do list and have fun doing it. Half the fun is just getting the goodies for the cruiser.
Post up some pictures, everyone loves to look at cruisers.
Gary

I am in the paint process also. I have replaced basically all of the exterior hardware/emblems etc with as much OEM as possible. Granted, it has cost quite a bit of $$, but if I am paying that much for paint then I am not going to ruin it with old crappy emblems etc...

Jonny

What to do during paint? ----when i say the title of the thread...............i thought like a support group for while the fj40's getting painted..:lol::D
mine has been in paint 7 weeks T O D A Y , but who's counting----ME:doh:

talKed to my painter today and said to come by on thurday to take pic's.............and said he was spraying it either Friday or Sat------------FINALLY---I AM SO READY TO GET MY RIG BACK.:steer::steer:

What to do during paint? ----when i say the title of the thread...............i thought like a support group for while the fj40's getting painted..:lol::D
mine has been in paint 7 weeks T O D A Y , but who's counting----ME:doh:

talKed to my painter today and said to come by on thurday to take pic's.............and said he was spraying it either Friday or Sat------------FINALLY---I AM SO READY TO GET MY RIG BACK.:steer::steer:

7 weeks :popcorn: Since I bought mine about 2 years ago it spent 18 months on a motor rebuild, and the better part of 6 months in paint. I still don't have it :bang: Anyday now though :meh:

Jonny

Rebuild

I started my rebuild on March 15, 2010. My painter called this morning, June 8th, and he had the tub ready for me to pickup. I went by at lunch to review his work, and I will pick the tub up this afternoon. I can't complain, my engine is redone, tranny redone, lift in, disk brakes completed on front, and lots of other new stuff.
I really could not put the tub back on the frame untill now anyway, so I am happy.
Point is, Make that To Do List and budget yourself. It is a fun project, my wife says that I get obsessed with any project I take on but that's just me. Get 'R' Done.
Gary

7 weeks :popcorn: Since I bought mine about 2 years ago it spent 18 months on a motor rebuild, and the better part of 6 months in paint. I still don't have it :bang: Anyday now though :meh:

Jonny

i bought it last NOV...........and have worked on it daily.....ok...weekly..minor things......and now's it getting painted.............do'nt be a hater:bounce::bounce:.......:hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly:...just joking:beer:

I got my rig in for paint. We are taking the hard top off and putting in new weather stripping. Where the heck to I buy it? There was some cheap stuff and some very expensive stuff at two of the vendors on this site. I want it done right. What else do I need to be doing while we are tearing this bad boy down? GREAT SITE!!!!

Take a look at the SOR diagrams available online to get an idea of what needs replaced - see link below. The best option is to buy the OE parts straight from Toyota - either your local dealer or CDan on this site. I'm in the process of replacing all hard top, door, and glass weatherstrip myself. To do it right - figure on spending around 1K - all those individual pieces add up quick.

Specter Off-Road Land Cruiser Parts - Page 108 Land Cruiser Hardtop & Side Panels - 40 Series

She's Back!!!

I got my baby back from paint and was out for a family drive to see the damage from all the rain we have received here in Southern Utah. I snapped this pic two miles from my house.
Jesse's body shop in Phoenix did the job and I strongly recommend them. Jesse is a great guy and is very honest.
Land Cruiser.jpg

Looking good. What did you think of the flood damage? I'm glad it finally stopped raining -- that was brutal. Now I can finally wheel my build out in the driveway to get some things done. I'm in Green Springs.

I was told that we lived in the desert but it seemed like we were in the Rain Forest for the past week. Too bad about the homes in Beaver Dam but it's never a good idea to build that close to the river. We just moved back to So Utah been out of state for 15 years. We love all the places to wheel.

your paint turned out nice

I got my baby back from paint and was out for a family drive to see the damage from all the rain we have received here in Southern Utah. I snapped this pic two miles from my house.
Jesse's body shop in Phoenix did the job and I strongly recommend them. Jesse is a great guy and is very honest.
What all did you have Jesse do? What did it cost, If you don't mind?

Jesse is a good friend of mine and went the extra mile on the paint. He stripped it all down and cut out all the rust and repaired (The diamond plates were hiding quite a few rust problems.) Painted inside, out and undercoated it. Spent a ton of time on the hard top. He put new felt in the windows and put all new weather stripping (I paid for the ws and he installed it for the original paint quote.) I paid $2500.
The street tires came with the rig. My next project is lift and wheels/tires. I'm debating SOA and 35's or 4' lift with 33's. Any input would be much appreciated. I am definatley going with a black wheel and would love some suggestions on what wheels would look good and where to get a good price on them. Chevy 350 Motor so there is plenty of power to push the bigger tires.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom