What to do about SMOG systems on a 2F? Rebuild? Remove? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I haven't seen any SMOG threads yet, so I thought I would ask, being new to all this. I have a 3/76 FJ40 with a 78 2F engine that has some SMOG parts, but is missing many others. My state doesn't require smog testing on a 30+ year old vehicle, so do I try to find parts ( not sure if possible ) or is there an accepted way to de-smog a vehicle if you can't get the parts needed to make it work? I see some vacuum valves on the carburetor, dissy, and my FJ40 has a air pump ( will it work?? ), plus the air injection rail on the engine, so what is needed to make the engine run right, if I can't get the fully functioning smog system components to get it to run as designed? So what are our options these days?

delete it all, recurve dizzy or get a non smog dizzy thats ready to go as is and cap off all unused vac ports. Then sell the remaining good parts to people in need.

Just make sure to route vacuum lines correctly after deleting it all.

I desmogged my 76 about 20 years ago. Removed the air pump, vsv, air rail and all vacuum lines except the carb to distributor one. Plugged off a few vacuum ports and that was it if I remember correctly. Keep all the equipment you remove, wish I did. No worries here in WA, no one's ever asked to see under my hood in all that time. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom