What to consider when removing battery? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to remove my LC200 battery to gain access to my low and high beam bulbs. How do I prevent losing settings or functionality when I reconnect the battery? I once simply replaced a battery on a german car and I had to do a bunch of crazy resets afterwards. Thank you in advance for your insights.

Not 100% sure, but there are ODB-II devices that keep the ECU memory happy that may work. If not that, you could always have a shore power charger hooked up to the cables prior to the disconnect. Just need to be super diligent on not letting them touch anything.

It’ll start and die once, then just start it again then it should be fine.

Window force limits for auto function.
The steering angle backup lines will take a while to initialize.
Don’t do it just before an inspection, it resets the OBD monitors and fuel trims and these take a while to set and stabilize.
Slightly wonky mileage and possibly transmission shifting.

I’m probably forgetting stuff.

I bought one of those things that lets you backfeed the electrical system through the OBD port. Didn't work. Maybe there's a diode blocking it.

You definitely can't do it though the cig lighter plug, since it relies on a relay being energized.

Put the windows up, close the sunroof. You'll lose the radio and seat memories. Can't think of anything else. The clock will fix itself.

Although not recommended, it is very easy to swap out the high/low beam bulbs without disconnecting the battery. I was able to move my battery 2-3” while connected and move the wiper fluid fill to get enough room to get to the HID low beam assembly and swap the bulb. Halogen high beam is even easier. I chose to do it with the battery connected and accept the risk to avoid the reset hassle.

Just placed my battery. Engine will not start until one closes the doors, locks and unlocks them, then press the start. Or something like that - it is in the owner's manual. Radio and other preset remain.

Yeah, did this a bit ago... remove and replace battery (and what ever in between).. shut everything and start it up.. mine did not don't die on first start after I changed the battery... so basically was a non-event, clock reset and frankly didn't notice anything.

It’ll start and die once, then just start it again then it should be fine.

Window force limits for auto function.
The steering angle backup lines will take a while to initialize.
Don’t do it just before an inspection, it resets the OBD monitors and fuel trims and these take a while to set and stabilize.
Slightly wonky mileage and possibly transmission shifting.

I’m probably forgetting stuff.

FSM Asks for steering wheel 360 sweep, although its not even a proper zero point calibration.
Not doing it did nothing noticeable either. But i still do it. That may be the backup lines you brought up though that I never noticed…

Temp/climate setting, last used media source, custom drive mode will be reset.

The custom drive mode one took me a while to figure out.

Although not recommended, it is very easy to swap out the high/low beam bulbs without disconnecting the battery. I was able to move my battery 2-3” while connected and move the wiper fluid fill to get enough room to get to the HID low beam assembly and swap the bulb. Halogen high beam is even easier. I chose to do it with the battery connected and accept the risk to avoid the reset hassle.
Thank you for your suggestion of not removing the battery altogether. I moved things around like you suggested and it was much more manageable to access the bulb.

This should not be a problem at all. I disconnect my battery intentionally everytime I do major work such as cleaning up MAF sensor, transmission oil flush etc so the engine mapping resets and recalibrates again.

Like someone said, it takes 1 try for engine to stop and next time you try to do a a turn off and start again, it will start normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom