What tires are you wheel'n? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nottajeep

Enemies of the State
SILVER Star
Threads
Thought we needed a tire and wheel talk thread.

Just moved from BFG KO2 to BFG KM3 on the 40.
I really like the handling of the KO2 on dry trails and even playing on the rocks. However, we know how it rains here and the KO2 were subpar at the last few Mardi Krawl rides (mainly due to mud). Hope to hit a trail or two this month and I'll post up some thoughts on the meaty KM3s.

What tires is everyone else running?

IMG_20180408_140007_573.jpg

20191209_162404.jpg

Last edited:
Got the KO2's on our 80 and like them. But may go KM3's next time if they are as good as everyone seems to think.

I run KM3s on the 80... I ran KM1, KM2 before...

KM3s have best road noise (quietest) but I think the KM2 were slightly better offroad.. Cant tell which will ware better tho..

Overall KM3s are awesome... i do wish they had whiteout letter tho... KM3s only come with blackout lettering...

I had KM 2 for about 6 months on the 100. Hated them on a daily driver.

I'm running Toyo MT's...34x11 (285/75-r17) -->

93--toyo-mt-mounted.jpg

Really like them, although they are heavy (E load range). Not too loud on the road, excellent off road.

Here's a pic on the truck:

fj60-lower-brokefoot.jpg

- Brian

^^^ Oh yeah.

The beefy sidewalls are one reason I didn't run out and buy a spare wheel and tire when I put these on the 60. I've probably jinxed myself now...

- Brian

Running KO2s on the 60 and Maxxis RZR MT on the 80.

The KO2s are utterly useless in our mud, but I'm not sure anything is truly good in it. They've taken a beating considering the wheelspin I throw at 'em and they've been reasonable to balance thereafter. The 33s are closer to 32.5 and on 17" wheels they leave a little less sidewall than I'd like once aired down, so I'll probably follow Brian's lead and go the Toyo route to get closer to actual 33s. Seems like folks' opinions of KO2s run the gamut from never-buy-again to greatest-tire-ever. That's easy to have happen when they sell as many of 'em as they do.

The RZRs are a bit noisy on the highway, but they're a pretty aggressive MT so I'm not that surprised. However, Jess has been more hesitant to take it on longer trips due to the drone. I've not wheeled it yet, so I can't tell how they respond to my heavy foot :steer: . They sure do look nice though :beer:.

Running KO2s on the 60 and Maxxis RZR MT on the 80.

The KO2s are utterly useless in our mud, but I'm not sure anything is truly good in it. They've taken a beating considering the wheelspin I throw at 'em and they've been reasonable to balance thereafter. The 33s are closer to 32.5 and on 17" wheels they leave a little less sidewall than I'd like once aired down, so I'll probably follow Brian's lead and go the Toyo route to get closer to actual 33s. Seems like folks' opinions of KO2s run the gamut from never-buy-again to greatest-tire-ever. That's easy to have happen when they sell as many of 'em as they do.

The RZRs are a bit noisy on the highway, but they're a pretty aggressive MT so I'm not that surprised. However, Jess has been more hesitant to take it on longer trips due to the drone. I've not wheeled it yet, so I can't tell how they respond to my heavy foot :steer: . They sure do look nice though :beer:.
KO2 are probably the best AT out today. I had the Toyo AT on 100 before and the KO2 was a nice performance improvement with a softer compound and improved sidewall lugs. I've taken KO2 through terrible mud, rocks, etc and still did alright. BFG is stepping out there and keeping the tire designs updated across the off-road line.
Toyo could use a few updates too.

Another pic of the KM3. This is definitely the most aggressive tire I've ran on the 40 so far.
The air down footprint looks like it was engineered well.
20191209_162347.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running Toyo MT's...34x11 (285/75-r17) -->

View attachment 2153401

Really like them, although they are heavy (E load range). Not too loud on the road, excellent off road.

Here's a pic on the truck:

View attachment 2153406

- Brian
Yeah, they are very heavy. I think even their ATs were heavy also when I had them. They pack a lot of rubber in those tires!

A good side by side view of the MTs on the market. The guy seems candid, especially for Nitto🤭 Several good tires to pick from on the market. General are a sleeper candidate.

I agree, the KO2 is a good tire. It's picked by OEMs for that reason.

My next next move for the 60 will be an MT. Hopefully thatll be a few years down the road, though. Who knows what'll be on the market by then.

I'm debating the KO2 to KM3 move now on my 100. The KO2s are great in CO every summer, but subpar here at home. I have gotten 70k out of the current set with a lot of those miles off pavement. I've had 6 sets of BFG ATs over 20 years, so I cant decide.

I'm debating the KO2 to KM3 move now on my 100. The KO2s are great in CO every summer, but subpar here at home. I have gotten 70k out of the current set with a lot of those miles off pavement. I've had 6 sets of BFG ATs over 20 years, so I cant decide.
A MT on a daily driver might be difficult to like. The KM3 is quite right now (new) and I am not sure how loud it gets with mileage. Also lifetime miles is probably lower. If you only have one 4wd vehicle, then maybe run the MT to get more performance on the trail. BFG always has resale value if you want to change.

A MT on a daily driver might be difficult to like. The KM3 is quite right now (new) and I am not sure how loud it gets with mileage. Also lifetime miles is probably lower. If you only have one 4wd vehicle, then maybe run the MT to get more performance on the trail. BFG always has resale value if you want to change.
Jason, what size KM3’s did you put on your 40, they look pretty wide (may just be the pics).

I’ve ran 2 sets of KM2’s over the years and have liked them. They do get loud once they have some mileage on them.

I run Nitto Terra Grapplers on my wife’s 100 and they’re my favorite set of M/T’s I’ve had. Good mileage, not very loud, smooth and balance easy and very tough sidewalls.

I have a set of Cooper STT Pro’s on my 40, but haven’t wheeled it enough to come to a final decision. They wear pretty fast though.

Jason, what size KM3’s did you put on your 40, they look pretty wide (may just be the pics).

I’ve ran 2 sets of KM2’s over the years and have liked them. They do get loud once they have some mileage on them.

I run Nitto Terra Grapplers on my wife’s 100 and they’re my favorite set of M/T’s I’ve had. Good mileage, not very loud, smooth and balance easy and very tough sidewalls.

I have a set of Cooper STT Pro’s on my 40, but haven’t wheeled it enough to come to a final decision. They wear pretty fast though.
315/75/16 w/ a spacer

the DD thing is my dilemma. I dont take the 100 on work trips anymore and have enterprise drop off some midsized, 35mpg+ sedan at the office. on longer trips, the difference in mileage between the 100 and the cars almost pays for the rental. the 100 will be used for my 4 mile commute, going to the hunting camp and for offroad trips.

I've got new KM2s on my jeep and like them. I'm trying to talk myself into the KM3s for the 100

Given that usage mileage you should swap to MTs when you're ready as any tire will die from age before it dies from mileage given your wear rate.

BTW: the 2UZ is venerable, but no engine likes a 4 mile drive. That's a coup de gras de la condensation - no matter what oil goes in it as none of it ever gets to warm up. Run the engine a solid half hour at speed and load once a week to burn that s***e off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom