What this Spring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
There is a Spring hanging down from the underside of the dash. It's on the right side of the steering column just below the dash. I can't figure out what it's for or where to connect it back up.

Any ideas,

Thanks,
Ken

right side of the brake pedal. There's a pin connecting the pedal to the rod going through the firewall. It hooks around the head of the pin. Let me know if you need a pic.

Do you mean on the pedal assembly itself. I see where there is a pin half way beteen the pedal and the firewall, just ahead of an accordian type rubber boot. A cotter pin is on the left side and a round disk that fit the spring is on the right side. I hooked it to that.

Whats it's purpose. I have been driving with it hanging for months.

Thanks,

Ken

I can try to rationalize Japanese technology. All I can say is, I ran down to my 77 FJ40, looked and that's how it was. I've been driving mine like that for 3 years. I've never even seen/noticed that spring before. So, my guess is it helps bring the pedal all the way back so that it's not sagging and putting a little bit of pressure in the hydro lines... but then again... it's Japanese technology, who knows. Let me know if it causes something catastrophic so I can take mine off.

Sorry, I can't try to rationalize...

If its the I'm thinking of it helps pull the brake pedal up to the brake switch to help turn off the lights. My booster piston position doesn't put enough pressure on the switch to turn the brake lights off. This becomes more of a problem the more your switch is wore out. Just had to replace mine.

TC

I haven't had a problem with the break lights staying on. Maybe it's a backup like you said for when they get older.

I installed the spring as described and I'll drive it tomorrow and see if there is any difference.

Thanks for all the input!

Yup, brake pedal return spring. Mine was off when I got my cruiser and the brake lights would flicker in the rough nasty stuff.

After several searches and even looking at SOR I can't seem to find where the brake return spring hooks to the dash...? I see where it connects to the brake pedal but not dash....Help...thanks....

edit: I'm having to put all the pedals in after acquiring it stripped....Is there also one for the clutch pedal? Cant seem to see where a spring would connect to the clutch pedal....

Mine hooks through a small hole in the underside of the dash itself. Pics may or may not help...

GL

Ed
returnsprings 001.jpg
returnsprings 002.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom