what the heck is this? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is this thing? I'm trying to rewire my 40 but this thing has me at a stand-still. It has a few wires going into it but two of them are attached to connectors that have been hanging free since i got the truck.:confused: Sorry about the size, apparently my phone doesn't take very big pictures.
mysteryitem.jpg

sorry, picture is pretty vague... looking from the bumper, its on the right side, on the firewall. looks like a 3x4x1/2" box mounted on the firewall beneath the master cylinder. it has, what looks to be, a small metal bulb attached.

Voltage regulator with the one piece it should have with it. ( can not for the life of me right now remember the name, long day. )

And do not cut it out, even though i know myself he was kidding.

Hate to say it, but yep its still a voltage regulator either way you look at it.

Got a new one sitting in my garage still in its box for a spare.

well, then i have two voltage regulators. :S wasn't doubting just trying to sort this thing out. there's another voltage regulator on the passenger side fender that doesn't look anything like this. Thanks for the help and educating a new FJ owner. :D

Up to about 78 /79 they used external voltage regulators. That one there was one that around here you could buy from a place that rebuilt starters and alternators.

No idea why you would have 2.

That area where you pulled it from was where it was originally.

The OEM style were a little different.

HTH a bit.

That looks like an original style one.

So, how many alternators do you have on there ?

Was this one all hooked up ?

only have one alternator. the one on the firewall, it only had two wires hooked hooked up to it. the other had 3 wires hooked up. the 4th wire that wasn't hooked up on the later, i'm guessing after looking at the mystery regulator, should have had the metal pod? attached.
i'll say this though: the battery never did charge right. the most i could ever get out of the alternator was around 12.11v and i'd have to hook it up to a battery charger every couple of days, hence the reason why I'm putting on a new wiring harness.

Just me thinking out loud here but someone was doing some strange stuff with that wiring .

Does your alternator you have on now have external or internal voltage regulator ?

Umm yeah...and its driving me nuts. I think there are two harnesses in the front because of all the half connectors randomly stroan around.
Side note: ih8mud app for Droid is awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom