what the heck is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

...next

here's the other... i'm thinking it deals with the emmisions but not 100% sure. only two wires were actually attached to each other, one was to another box on the interior, passenger's side firewall and the other was going to the oil sending unit?.
do i need this or is it something that i can by-pass?

IMG_20110522_141136.jpg

Not doubting what everyone says about being a voltage regulator but it looks like a regulator or noise filter for a stereo system. I had one simular years ago on a Pioneer ststem in a car. Hmmm?

That last pic reminds me of the emission box.

The round thing with the regulator was for radio interference / static from what i can remember off the top of my head.

If you want i can get pics of both in my 75.

naa, that works. can i by-pass the emissions? there is no emissions equipment on the truck that i can see, other than this box and possibly the other box on the passenger side firewall.

Last edited:
emissions "computer"

it is not needed on a de-smogged truck

SWEET b/c that's the big source of all of my open ended wires! now if i can just find out what the others are. :rolleyes: Oh, and another thing, after a VERY intense look at the data plate (it had overspray on it covering up some stuff), i found that my '76 FJ40 is ACTUALLY a '78. previous title says its a '76 and PO said it was a '76 BUT the data plate says otherwise. :eek: JOYS!

But is it the original engine ? And the frame number ?

SOR has a page that could tell you.

not sure...engine#, i have, frame#, to my understanding is in the front left of the frame, right? if so then i think my is covered up by a bracket so i'm not exactly sure.

Front passenger side frame rail outside.

ok, found the frame#. the motor and frame don't match. does that mean anything? frame matches VIN# though.

The frame number should match your VIN number. Engine number is something else.
You may have a matching number (meaning the year of the motor matches the year of the frame/body) or you may not. I don't think the engine had the same number as the frame but had a year appropriate number. If you are trying to make a classic restoration this is important otherwise it is not. The important Department of Motor Vehicle data is Frame and/or Body and paperwork matching.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom