What the heck?? Is this the clear coat bubbling up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
danspassionforcars.blogspot.com
Our relatively new to us 1997 LC. Came from Washington State, so you'd think it was no stranger to rain. We just had some rain the other day and I noticed this morning on 3 of the 4 fenders this bubbling. Looks like water may have gotten under the clear coat and it is bubbling up. I've never seen anything like this before. Is this common on these Land Cruisers? Wondering if I can put in an insurance claim on this. The paint underneath certainly needs to be protected now, which is sad because the original paint looks really really good. Or at least most of it does now.
IMG_8631.jpg
IMG_8630.jpg
IMG_8629.jpg

The original paint on a white land cruiser was a single stage so no clear coat. It would have had to be repainted at some point. But yes, that is the clear coat peeling off. I have a fender that looks about the same. If it's just on the flares it's entirely possible that the flares were fading out as they tend to do and someone removed them and painted them separate from the truck.

Probably clear. My night shadow pearl had similar issues. The clear was paper thin at the top and eventually water got between the clear and color and separated them.

It's just shedding it's imperialist skin for better fuel mileage.
Just wait till the rust prevention kicks in underneath.

It's just shedding it's imperialist skin for better fuel mileage.
Just wait till the rust prevention kicks in underneath.
Wonder if he counted the number of rattles on it? <ducking -> stage left>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom