What the heck are my ratios? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, so I'm tryin to figure out my gear ratio's here, and have no idea what I have to work with. I drive a bone stock 1985 FJ60. All I know is my axle is 3.73, but I don't know what my tranny gears are, nor the transfer case.

http://cjford.stormloader.com/Tech/mantransinfo1.htm

I found that page, but don't know which tranny I have. I thought it was the H42, but my final crawl of 25:1 or so just seems kinda weak for a cruiser, but maybe I'm wrong???

You have the H42.

ummm sir
before ya go ramlin that word "weak" drive your cruiser a little bit.

Sorry Guys

Need to interrupt - Steen - check your pms.

Back to regular programming......

Magoo said:
ummm sir
before ya go ramlin that word "weak" drive your cruiser a little bit.

I know that 'Cruisers aren't weak and quite far from, but that ratio just seemed kinda high to me.

wheezy said:
I know that 'Cruisers aren't weak and quite far from, but that ratio just seemed kinda high to me.

Kinda depends on how you use it. All (or most) the markets outside the US got a 4 speed with a lower first (the H41, and some got the 5 speed (H41+overdrive). Many/most markets also came w/4.11's. Rational I supose was that non-US markets would use the cruiser in such a way that the lower gears were necessary. The H42 is a nice shifting tranny, and Toyota probably assumed that most 60's would be used on easier terrain here. Logical at the time probably.

Of course, now 20 years later, most of us are looking to get lower gears for off-road...

That said, the stock tires/tranny/transf/thirds with the super luggable 2F is super capable as is. Many owners change suspension and tires long before the gears. They want lower gears, but can get away w/out them for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom