Builds What the Foo is this??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
So, it is time for me to catch up and get this thread started. Give me an hour to catch you up to date.

First off, let me introduce my 96' Landcruiser. My family has decided to name him "Foo". We live our lives to the beat of music, and the music we listen to most is the mighty Foo Fighters. To me Foo is a blend of the best artists making the best music. The Toyota land cruisers is the best engineers making the best off road vehicle.

This all started with a private message titled WWGD. "what would Gary do." This was sent to the builder of project x, and the current build project x2.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/34899-project-x.html

In it I asked his thoughts on what he would do different if making another fzj45. He was gracious to write me a long message.

So now you may get a hint of what is to come over the next few years. Yes, I plan to take a 80 and convert it to a FZJ45 "stretch" model. Confused on the stretch?

take a look at this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/339464-fat-40-very-hummerish.html

Don't have the exact dimensions, but I know that I need to add some length up front for the radiator, to avoid the rear radiator as Gary had to do. From rough measurements, I think I need to add about 5" width.

This all started when I found the rig that we now know as Foo. It was in Chicago, and the owner advertised it clearly stating that every panel on it was damaged somewhere. Perfect for me as I don't plan on using any panel. It is times like these that we have to act to reach our dreams.

So a $59 southwest ticket to Chicago later, I was meeting this rig. My good friend Kyle was able to find a few of the light body damage.....

And so it begins. Soon a monkey wrench was thrown into my plan.
337.jpg
336.jpg

Last edited:
Driving down the road from Chicago toward St. Louis at about 75mph, the car did a quick jerk then the noise started. Called my buddy Erik in KC and quickly decided to check out the wheel bearings. I had no tools from the southwest flight, so found a Walmart at about sunset. Went down the tool isle and bought basically one of everything. They were closing soon, so I wanted to make sure that if I needed it, i had it.

Tore down the front drivers side and found this....

more detail in my thread.. https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/603785-front-axle-rust-lubricant.html
348.jpg
347.jpg
345.jpg

Last edited:
When tearing down both sides of the front axle found lots of examples of what not to do.....
339.jpg
IMG_5258.jpg
IMG_5260.jpg

Last edited:
only found about a tablespoon of grease in total from both sides! This made rust in all sorts of areas that you would not expect.
IMG_5251.jpg
IMG_5256.jpg
IMG_5254.jpg

Last edited:
If it was not heavy wear on the spindles from the blown bearings it was rust. This took a nice easy rebuild to replacing lots of parts.
IMG_5248.jpg
IMG_5263.jpg
IMG_5284 (2).jpg

Last edited:
loaded the axle and misc parts up and headed down to the sandblasters.

Note that I did not take apart the axles yet. I like to sandblast first then teardown and paint. Keeps the sand out of the little areas. I use rubber corks to fill the hole where the abs sensor goes, as well as I remove the locker actuator and plug those holes too.
041.jpg
049.jpg
052.jpg

Last edited:
on to paint.

So, I use a blend of methods on painting. I first prime with some black epoxy paint sold by southern polyurethane. Great stuff.

The primer needs some cover, so I used to use a gloss paint, but did not like the look, so I switched to using John Deere Blitz Black paint. It is like a semi-gloss, satin look black paint that sticks to anything. The painter I talked to said it would stick to milk.

Takes some time to harden, but once hard, it really puts up with abuse. Think Tractor!

Plus it really lays down nice!
054.jpg
055.jpg
058.jpg

Last edited:
more painting of loose parts. On the last picture you can see the rubber plugs I told you about.

Middle pic is more WTF moments. the breather tube was not going to take on any water I guess. Full of silicone from PO. GREAT!

Started to put it back together. Replaced all the brake lines while I was at it. Hard lines from Toyota are really cheap, FYI.
IMG_5283 (2).jpg
IMG_5348 (2).jpg
IMG_5367.jpg

Last edited:
A little more work on the axle.

Decided that FOO will eventually be orange, so started with the accents.
IMG_5368.jpg
IMG_5412.jpg
IMG_5413.jpg

Last edited:
Thew the axle in. Needed some pointers of where to run the wires, so pulled the brothers together.
IMG_5419.jpg
IMG_5421.jpg
IMG_5416.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Christo? Can you set me up? Thanks.....
IMG_5452.jpg

Last edited:
So, while the axle was out decided to clean up a few parts. First on the list was the valve cover.
IMG_5370.jpg
IMG_5375 2.jpg
IMG_5376.jpg

Last edited:
So, after removing the valve cover I screw it down to plywood on the lower holes, then put big fender washers in the spark plug holes and sandblast. Typically I would recommend soda blasting, but man it takes forever. So, I spend the extra time prepping and trying to keep sand out of the upper passages of the valve cover , and blast away. Then I clean up the aluminum with grinder discs and dremel.
IMG_5380.jpg
IMG_5382.jpg
IMG_5383 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back from the powdercoaters
IMG_5434.jpg
IMG_5437.jpg
IMG_7087.jpg

Last edited:
Starter was next on the list. Wow was it needing attention!
IMG_5407.jpg
IMG_5404.jpg

Last edited:
next up was the squealing power steering pump and the old pressure side line. Did the full rebuild of the pump. The bearing had too much movement, so had to order one of those too. If anyone does this rebuild, just order the $10 bearing. Rather do that then tear it down again.
IMG_7028.jpg
IMG_7039.jpg

Last edited:
next up was a leaking rear transfer case seal.
IMG_7043.jpg
IMG_7040.jpg

Last edited:
While I was tearing down to get to the rear transfer case, the stock transfer case protector broke apart in my hand. Decided to make up some armor, after a local friend gave me some inspiration.

1/4 plate found in the corner, a little plasma time and a sledgehammer, here you go....
IMG_7071.jpg
IMG_7078.jpg
IMG_7079.jpg

Last edited:
When I took down the stock crossmember the transfer case mount was showing her age. Rusted clear through on one side.
IMG_7080.jpg
IMG_7085.jpg

Last edited:
Next up before it was roadworthy I had to have new toons.

Did the scion t1819 transformation. Notice the first song????
IMG_7137.jpg
IMG_7138.jpg
IMG_7096.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom