What the correct tread or block off plug for this hole. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

By my measurement, 3/8" BSP taper, not parallel, so the correct nomenclature 3/8" BSPT. The more commonly available 3/8" NPT is very close, 18TPI, vs 19TPI, slightly differing angle, but for this use is likely to work fine. I would use a brass plug over stainless.

When using a taper tap, a common mistake is going too deep, it is taper, so easy to make the hole too big. Tap a bit, fit the plug, repeat until you are happy with the depth of the plug. The NPT is slightly larger, ~.020", so if the treads are badly buggered, could save the day? If badly buggered, I would not attempt to fully restore all of the threads, likely to make the hole too big, just enough for the plug to fit well and seal.

That is solid tech help!
Thanks for taking the time and effort!

By my measurement, 3/8" BSP taper, not parallel, so the correct nomenclature 3/8" BSPT. The more commonly available 3/8" NPT is very close, 18TPI, vs 19TPI, slightly differing angle, but for this use is likely to work fine. I would use a brass plug over stainless.

When using a taper tap, a common mistake is going too deep, it is taper, so easy to make the hole too big. Tap a bit, fit the plug, repeat until you are happy with the depth of the plug. The NPT is slightly larger, ~.020", so if the treads are badly buggered, could save the day? If badly buggered, I would not attempt to fully restore all of the threads, likely to make the hole too big, just enough for the plug to fit well and seal.
Truely appreciation it.
Found sensor no longer in production. Reason why they just blocked it.

Update, took the OEM sensor out of my parts car. Just waiting for correct BSPT tap to arrive and clean up the trades a little in the head.

ADF96EEC-6FD6-402E-97CC-5C45B886B1E0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom