What temp for 1FZFE is too high? (205º while rockcrawling at 75º ambient...ok?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

...........If you have a brass radiator, one thing to consider is replacing it with aluminum. Might not last as long, but they cool better. Even the cheap junky TYC.

Since getting my truck eight months ago I've been through a fair bit of the cooling system.
  • PHH
  • Thermostat
  • Radiator Hoses
  • Blue hub fan clutch from Wit's End
  • Flushed it all w/ the PHH install
I'm seeing temps of about 185º-190º around town at slow speeds and usually a solid lock around 179º on the highway (ambient temps up to 80º or so.)

Was rockcrawling this past weekend--sunny and about 75º--and hit my Scangauge alarm of 205º--dropped back down under 200º once I got above 3mph.

The factory manual suggests I'm OK but I've seen people here say they see 170's around town...am I leaving cooling on the table? I know I've seen threads with people comparing temps but couldn't surface them in a quick search.
Thought I might add a thought or two. In the 20 or so yrs that I've owned my '94, which came stock with a brass radiator, after fiddling with all the cooling system components you've mentioned, plus a few more - the biggest positive difference was adding my "cheap junky TYC radiator". I might add that it was a suggestion from Kevin (Tools R US) if anyone else considers his advice to have been helpful. Oh, and he also mentioned a time or two that the TYC outperformed any of the 80 series OEM aluminum radiators which were stock in the '95-'97's.

You are not helping my paranoia about moving to Mesa next month.
Now, now, no need for paranoia or worrysome sense of doubt. Rather - rest assured...it is going to feel hotter than the depths of Hades here pretty soon.
But a properly set up normal Landcruiser can toodle around here on a really hot day with A/C on and run 195ish coolant temp.
And - there is a good cadre of Landcruiser folks here who have the experience to help with cooling issues.

I see 188-195 on normal drive in summer. Summers in the south/gulf are ruthless. I've hit as high as 220 before on hill climbs in Texas summers. 2 lane highways, tons of hills, and the speed limit is 75 on most southeastern Texas highways. I'm struggling to keep up with/ not hold up traffic on those types of highways

I don't think the furnace in Mesa has been turned on just yet. There was a trial run in late April, so we'll see

Was rockcrawling this past weekend...
Tell us a little more about what you mean by rock crawling - driving a rocky trail, slow and steady, or climbing technical obstacles, with rpms up, and left foot on the brake at the same time to control speed/movement...

I see 186 on the highway and usually 190 to 195 around town. I just bought the blue fan hub clutch but need to add the thicker fluid. I am curious to see how that changes things. I just finished a head gasket so I replaced the PHH and many other hoses. I am curious how it does on the trails with the blue fan clutch. Last year before I changed my radiator out I was seeing 215 and I didn't like that. Seems like 190-195 is normal for around town. If the highest I got on the trails was 205 I wouldn't be worried at all. It is going to get hotter soon so that will change things.

Tell us a little more about what you mean by rock crawling - driving a rocky trail, slow and steady, or climbing technical obstacles, with rpms up, and left foot on the brake at the same time to control speed/movement...
It was mostly stop and start, uphill, about 7500' altitude, not too much wheelspin but a bit of throttle jabbing to get over stuff. I think it wasn't too much of a load on the engine, just no airflow really...once the trail smoothed out and I could manage a walking pace the temps came back down closer to 195-200º.

Based on what people here are saying I could consider a radiator change out but I think I'll wait to see how it handles real summer, have enough projects burning holes in my wallet at the moment and it seems like I am indeed "in range." Thanks for all the input and comparison temps everyone. :beer:

Thought I might add a thought or two. In the 20 or so yrs that I've owned my '94, which came stock with a brass radiator, after fiddling with all the cooling system components you've mentioned, plus a few more - the biggest positive difference was adding my "cheap junky TYC radiator". I might add that it was a suggestion from Kevin (Tools R US) if anyone else considers his advice to have been helpful. Oh, and he also mentioned a time or two that the TYC outperformed any of the 80 series OEM aluminum radiators which were stock in the '95-'97's.
Yep, it was Kevin's post that gave me the confidence to get the cheapest radiator money can buy!

I too listened to Kevin's advice and put in a TYC radiator. He also suggested I put 35K oil in my fan clutch. Did the work last fall. I am really looking forward to driving it when it gets hot. Anticipating a big smile.

I too listened to Kevin's advice and put in a TYC radiator. He also suggested I put 35K oil in my fan clutch. Did the work last fall. I am really looking forward to driving it when it gets hot. Anticipating a big smile.
Did you add 35K cst oil in your fan clutch? I am about to add my fluid now and thought I would go with 20K. I thought 35K would be to high but if you have done it and had good results I might try it.

Did you add 35K cst oil in your fan clutch? I am about to add my fluid now and thought I would go with 20K. I thought 35K would be to high but if you have done it and had good results I might try it.
I did go with 35K per advice from Kevin. However, this is not a vehicle I drive that much. Don't think I'm the right person to advise. I use my rig for very remote camping adventures, often out into the desert in summer and so thought that it may help. But that's just me.

It was mostly stop and start, uphill, about 7500' altitude, not too much wheelspin but a bit of throttle jabbing to get over stuff. I think it wasn't too much of a load on the engine, just no airflow really...once the trail smoothed out and I could manage a walking pace the temps came back down closer to 195-200º.

Based on what people here are saying I could consider a radiator change out but I think I'll wait to see how it handles real summer, have enough projects burning holes in my wallet at the moment and it seems like I am indeed "in range." Thanks for all the input and comparison temps everyone. :beer:
If your cooling system is in good shape and you have the OEM aluminum radiator, I wouldn't change it unless you're consistantly running hot - close to redline.

Another tip: Something I found useful off road towing a trailer. If you're climbing steep hills off road in high range and your temps are running hotter than you'd like them to be, shift into lo range. Your revs will, of course be higher, which pulls more air through the radiator. But the trick that most don't stop to consider is that your engine doesn't have to work as hard. You jump real quick into the power range of the engine and you can actually watch the temp gauge drop quickly and stay lower. It really helps to have the CDL switch with the pin 7 mod, so if it's a high traction surface, you're not binding the drive train by having the CDL auto locked. I love being the master of my transfer case and not relying on a stupid sequence sensitive, pre-programmed module to tell me how to drive off road. I guess that's why I also run Harrop e-lockers instead of the Toyota triple lockers (no disrespect intended).

If your cooling system is in good shape and you have the OEM aluminum radiator, I wouldn't change it unless you're consistantly running hot - close to redline.

Another tip: Something I found useful off road towing a trailer. If you're climbing steep hills off road in high range and your temps are running hotter than you'd like them to be, shift into lo range. Your revs will, of course be higher, which pulls more air through the radiator. But the trick that most don't stop to consider is that your engine doesn't have to work as hard. You jump real quick into the power range of the engine and you can actually watch the temp gauge drop quickly and stay lower. It really helps to have the CDL switch with the pin 7 mod, so if it's a high traction surface, you're not binding the drive train by having the CDL auto locked. I love being the master of my transfer case and not relying on a stupid sequence sensitive, pre-programmed module to tell me how to drive off road. I guess that's why I also run Harrop e-lockers instead of the Toyota triple lockers (no disrespect intended).
Thats a good tip. I would be concerned about getting close to redline and using the stock temp gauge in the gauge cluster as a reference. The temp gauge in the LC is really unreliable. I've always been told if you redline or close to it, it's too late. My scan gauge was one of the best purchases I have ever made for the LC. Seeing the actual temp is crucial. I am definitely going to try your advice on the trails next time, makes sense.

Thats a good tip. I would be concerned about getting close to redline and using the stock temp gauge in the gauge cluster as a reference. The temp gauge in the LC is really unreliable. I've always been told if you redline or close to it, it's too late. My scan gauge was one of the best purchases I have ever made for the LC. Seeing the actual temp is crucial. I am definitely going to try your advice on the trails next time, makes sense.
Yup, Good catch! I've done the Ravi mod to my temp gauge, so it gives me an accurate idea of the engine temp. So, you're right on target! You need to know since our stock gauges are biased. I've got a '94, which is OBD 1, so I've got it on the list to add a digital gauge as another monitor on that oh, so critical engine temp.

I just replaced my fan clutch and noticed a remarkable drop in temp. If temps remain low I will not mid the clutch but if they rise under harsher conditions I will mod the fan clutch with 15 cst oil

D8CA8720-B6FE-4788-8E6F-227818E80FA1.jpeg

31DBACAE-31A9-485A-8996-AA72F1BE79C2.jpeg

0B408795-BE3C-433B-8327-4C5025C67A70.jpeg

Last edited:
33s, brass radiator, DIY-modded fan clutch, typically see 190 F

Completely stock '94. I'm seeing 206F idling in the sun at 105 degrees outside with the AC blowing. Temps dropped to 191-196F driving at highway speeds. 184-187F is what I've experienced driving at highway speeds when it's about 60F outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom