What temp for 1FZFE is too high? (205º while rockcrawling at 75º ambient...ok?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since getting my truck eight months ago I've been through a fair bit of the cooling system.
  • PHH
  • Thermostat
  • Radiator Hoses
  • Blue hub fan clutch from Wit's End
  • Flushed it all w/ the PHH install
I'm seeing temps of about 185º-190º around town at slow speeds and usually a solid lock around 179º on the highway (ambient temps up to 80º or so.)

Was rockcrawling this past weekend--sunny and about 75º--and hit my Scangauge alarm of 205º--dropped back down under 200º once I got above 3mph.

The factory manual suggests I'm OK but I've seen people here say they see 170's around town...am I leaving cooling on the table? I know I've seen threads with people comparing temps but couldn't surface them in a quick search.

I routinely see 215º on climbs on hwy or while crawling but I did replace my HG long time ago, so I'm kinda flippant about this #. It goes right back down once air is moving through the radiator during wheeling. I don't see temps below 193º very often but mine normally hovers around 200º, especially during this time of the year in the Southwest. The a/c cutoff is 226º, I believe.

Oh look, 202º on this run and she was working hard at 99% load. ;)

1590072638381.png

Last edited:
I recently installed a digital temp gauge in my OB1 1993 80 and I seem to average 189-195 around town. did recently change out all my radiator hoses and coolant to Red, but idk what my range was before that. I'm curious what others are dong also.

283C8B80-5AA0-4016-BE26-F3AAFC288A2A.jpeg

Yes its my favorite thread, coolant temp OCD. OP your temps are absolutely normal and nothing to worry about.

Since were counting again, I seem to stay in the 185-192 range pretty consistently unless I'm wheeling, towing, or going up very long/steep grades.

Like @alia176 said, seems to make sense to take guidance from Toyota Engineering choice of specification for the ECT cut switch. It takes action and disables the A/C when coolant gets to 226F, and then (with hysteresis) allows A/C to work again when coolant temp gets back down below 217F. So - you could say - that's the zone where - no need to panic, but maybe time to do something about it. Up to 217F, and even short bursts below 226F, is considered normal operating range.

One summery day, when the cooling system was not working well, climbing out of Phoenix with A/C running and loaded up with family and gear, coolant temp rose fairly quickly up to 232F before I could get to an exit ramp. Then, idling, A/C off, but in 105F heat, temp dropped promptly in minutes into the 190s, no harm done.

One summery day, when the cooling system was not working well, climbing out of Phoenix with A/C running and loaded up with family and gear, coolant temp rose fairly quickly up to 232F before I could get to an exit ramp. Then, idling, A/C off, but in 105F heat, temp dropped promptly in minutes into the 190s, no harm done.

You are not helping my paranoia about moving to Mesa next month.

For me 190 is normal summertime cruising temp. Spikes as high as 221 when pulling a major hill at highway speed and high altitude on a hot day. I have had the AC cut out once or twice before I got a real temp gauge. Oddly, I don't get any temperature spikes when crawling--only on the highway. And always cools right back down once I reach the top of the hill.

If you have a brass radiator, one thing to consider is replacing it with aluminum. Might not last as long, but they cool better. Even the cheap junky TYC.

This is MUD, temps are always too high :)

For me, I normally see temps in the 184-190 range regardless of ambient temps during any type of driving. If I am towing, then I see an additional 10 degrees or so on longer climbs, but it always cools down as soon as the road points down.

For me 190 is normal summertime cruising temp. Spikes as high as 221 when pulling a major hill at highway speed and high altitude on a hot day. I have had the AC cut out once or twice before I got a real temp gauge. Oddly, I don't get any temperature spikes when crawling--only on the highway. And always cools right back down once I reach the top of the hill.

If you have a brass radiator, one thing to consider is replacing it with aluminum. Might not last as long, but they cool better. Even the cheap junky TYC.

Driving conditions can significantly affect coolant temps. Particularly vehicles with less than 'excellent' maintenance.

I.E. any time your Torque Converter is unlocked (pulling hills, hard acceleration) it creates tremendous amounts of heat. In a stock system (trans cooler in radiator) this will add to the heat load the radiator sees. Also, at lower speeds....under-hood evacuation is not so great with these vehicles and heat-soak occurs.

Certain combinations of driving conditions are more apt to increase the heat load than others.

Lol @ FZJ80 doing 96 MPH

FAKE NEWS!

I routinely see 215º on climbs on hwy or while crawling but I did replace my HG long time ago, so I'm kinda flippant about this #. It goes right back down once air is moving through the radiator during wheeling. I don't see temps below 193º very often but mine normally hovers around 200º, especially during this time of the year in the Southwest. The a/c cutoff is 226º, I believe.

Oh look, 202º on this run and she was working hard at 99% load. ;)

1590073937463.png

I think that must be Air Speed and not Ground Speed. What'd you do, drive it off a cliff? LOL

Snails are slow, but snail shells make things go faster... :hmm:

Driving conditions can significantly affect coolant temps. Particularly vehicles with less than 'excellent' maintenance.

I.E. any time your Torque Converter is unlocked (pulling hills, hard acceleration) it creates tremendous amounts of heat. In a stock system (trans cooler in radiator) this will add to the heat load the radiator sees. Also, at lower speeds....under-hood evacuation is not so great with these vehicles and heat-soak occurs.

Certain combinations of driving conditions are more apt to increase the heat load than others.
So you're saying hit the OD button ;)

dude, SO true, so true indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom