What springs should I run on my 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you do decide to run a 12" shock make sure your brake lines and drive shaft are long enough. The shock are you limiting strap on a 80.

I was running 12" travel shocks and when I had the reg up on a lift I could not believe how tweaked everything looked !! the panhard was pull the axle way off to the side pulling both control arms with it. Brake lines were maxed out as were the hydro assist lines and the drive shaft was extended past it's safe limits.

Like others I thought I would get more articulation with the longer shocks, but in my real would testing I was only getting more droop and more then what I liked.

OME has what they call a L shock it's longer then the standard 3" lift shock but like Adam said there a bit stiff for my liking.

In closing every build is going to be different, and how you plan on using your reg is going to be different from the next guys build. Like the rest of us plan on changing it up a few time tell you get it were you like it !!
So if I would you think something like a 10" travel shock would be better? Also if I went with a 12" shock, you mentioned something about the driveshaft. Is this for front and rear? And I am very open to upgrading my driveshafts depending on the cost so what would you recommend?

This search for springs has gotten me down a rabbit hole but I didn't expect much less 😅. I already expected to need to extend my brake lines and diff breather, but anything else need extending/modifying while I'm down there?

I know panhard is a big issue while lifting like this, so what would you recommend? I think I might already have an aftermarket adjustable panhard bar so would that be enough or would I need some adjustment brackets or something of the sort as well?

Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated 🙏

So if I would you think something like a 10" travel shock would be better? Also if I went with a 12" shock, you mentioned something about the driveshaft. Is this for front and rear? And I am very open to upgrading my driveshafts depending on the cost so what would you recommend?

This search for springs has gotten me down a rabbit hole but I didn't expect much less 😅. I already expected to need to extend my brake lines and diff breather, but anything else need extending/modifying while I'm down there?

I know panhard is a big issue while lifting like this, so what would you recommend? I think I might already have an aftermarket adjustable panhard bar so would that be enough or would I need some adjustment brackets or something of the sort as well?

Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated 🙏

For a shorter lift I run and prefer the 10.5" shocks, If you get into a taller lift say 4 to 6" then a Longer 12" shock could give you the extra droop

Most people don't mess with the drive shaft in less they have a vibration, how much lift, if you move the axle forward ( I did ) and what your comfortable with well determine if you need to get a custom drive shaft/ shafts. I run a Tom Wood's double cardan and longer then stock in the front. made to order for around $400. shipped

If you running the OEM sway bar the mounts should be extended with everything else.

Adjustable Panhard are nice as you can keep the axle centered, A bracket to return the panhard back to level will greatly improve ride. This is easily done on the back with a bracket from @eimkeith or @Delta VS I run the weld in one from eimkeith
The front would benefit from the same but you need to move the drag link up the same amount (can of worms) so most don't mess with it !

Looks like I'm going to have to put my fabrication skills to the test with this then 😎. Not too afraid of a challenge just hoping my welds are sound enough for what I put my suspension through. I definitely push this OME kit to it's limits most of the time!

Also, I know they get much pricier but how do you feel about Hydro bump stops and do you think they'd even be worth the price jump from Timbrens?

And then for the shocks, you recommend the Icon 2.0s over the Fox? Do you think it would be worth it to just save up a little more and get something like a BP-51, Dobinsons MRR, or Radflo external reservoir shock? All of those are somewhat in the same price bracket with the Radflos being a little more but I've never heard anything bad about them. Just wondering if the jump is that big of a difference to justify the wait... 🧐

I'm open to trying new things and combinations sort of as a guinea pig rig, but any input or feedback to get this thing sorted is very much appreciated! I don't want to just throw random parts that look good at it and not get closer to my goal.
Hydro bumps are nice. Are you jumping your truck often? Unless you're jumping the truck where you really need to progressive compression of a hydro/air bump I think it is overkill. If you're just running your truck hard and get the hard bottom outs from time to time then I think Timbrens do a great job of eliminating hard bumps. I run mine hard and get airborne sometimes and the Timbrens have worked great for me.

For shocks, there are several really good options. Any 2.0 smooth body shock might struggle with shock fade if you are running hard for a decent amount of time, especially if you're truck is built on the heavier side. If you have a heavier truck (bumpers, winch, drawers, rack/tent etc) then it's a good idea to consider a 2.5 shock. Most 2.5's will have a remote reservoir and many are adjustable. Personally I don't think it's worth getting a non-adjustable 2.5 shock. The adjustability allows you to tune for the terrain or the load in the truck. BP-51's are good shocks but aren't really a true 2.5 since they are internal bypass. The internal bypasses take up space inside the shock so they are really more like a 2.0 bypass shock in terms of oil volume. But they still do a great job. My only real criticism of them is that they are no longer than the OME Nitrocharger shocks which are too short to allow full suspension travel. There are a few more inches of travel available in an 80 that you can take advantage of with a different shock. If you're not needing the maximum amount of flex and just want a good running suspension for fast desert stuff then the BP51 could still work well. Personally, I haven't been very impressed with Radflo shocks. I've seen lots of leaking and issues from the Radflos I've seen firsthand. Others might have a different experience.
Dobinson MRR shocks are another nice option for adjustable shocks Lots of good reviews on them.
Icon or King is another popular choice for high performance adjustable shocks. I prefer the digressive valving design of Icon shocks over the progressive valving of the Kings for a rig that splits time on the road and offroad. For a dedicated offroad desert runner the Kings might be a better choice.
My favorite shocks are the Slinky 2.5 adjustable shocks. They are built by Icon but have a slightly different valve setup that I think is one of the best out there for an 80. I've been running Slinky shocks for the past 6 years or so and couldn't be happier. The Stage 4 Slinky shocks are 2.5 remote reservoir with adjustable compression valving. Or if you want to go BIG you can go for the Stage5 2.5 remote res dual bypass Slinky shocks. That's what I currently have with adjustable rebound and compression. They aren't cheap though. Most people aren't looking to spend that kind of money on a 25 year old truck but the performance is really nice.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom