What spark plugs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Threads
My 71 FJ40 is now on the road with a 76 2F, sporting 86 FJ60 ignition. Dang, it starts and runs nice. I drove all over today, just because I could, and it all seems to work.

Anyway, I have a JimC desmogged carb, a recurved FJ60 distributor, and all the matching FJ60 ignition components. Should I run FJ60 spark plugs? Should I go up a heat range? My FJ40 has had probelms with fouling the plugs at high altitude before-can I prevent that with different plugs?

I am totally desmogged, there are no air pumps, no catalysts, no air rail no EGR, no anything in the smog department. It's just elemental Land Cruiser.:D

BTW-The FJ60 electronic ignition is a major upgrade on an early 2F. This 2F has always started right up, but now it fires instantly. Highly reccomended, and not that difficult..

I'll take your smog stuff off your hands if you don't need it. I have a 76 2F going back in to a 76 FJ40.

How do the plugs compare from 86 to 76?

My 71 FJ40 is now on the road with a 76 2F, sporting 86 FJ60 ignition. Dang, it starts and runs nice. I drove all over today, just because I could, and it all seems to work.

Anyway, I have a JimC desmogged carb, a recurved FJ60 distributor, and all the matching FJ60 ignition components. Should I run FJ60 spark plugs? Should I go up a heat range? My FJ40 has had probelms with fouling the plugs at high altitude before-can I prevent that with different plugs?

I am totally desmogged, there are no air pumps, no catalysts, no air rail no EGR, no anything in the smog department. It's just elemental Land Cruiser.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BTW-The FJ60 electronic ignition is a major upgrade on an early 2F. This 2F has always started right up, but now it fires instantly. Highly reccomended, and not that difficult..

Fixed it for ya.;)

If the plugs work ok for you at your normal operating elevation, leave it alone and just plan on adjusting the idle mixture screw when your in the mtns. After all, you plan on mostly idling down the trails anyways!

Best

Mark A.

Just use regular Champions or whatever. Gap it to the size of ignitor, so use the FJ60 gap and you'll be fine.

You may have reached the point where the FSM specs are not as important as they used to be. It seems we're all advancing timing past the factory 7, widening our plug gaps for our higher voltage ignitions, fiddling with valve lash 'cause of our aftermarket cams...You may have to fiddle and fine-tune for your particular engine by ear and the SOP.
I would imagine that an early 2F would be more tolerent of heat than a 60 due to more iron in the head, so I might try a hotter range plug than that suggested by the factory.
I don't think you're going to have any heat issues with a bare-bones elemental engine :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

NGK's rock... go find the appropriate NGK for you vehicle then try getting a hotter burning one.. there all rated like BR8ES, try getting a BR9ES

i'm not sure if a hotter burning spark plug would solve your problem but it might.

Hey Drew,
I just asked Jim this question about my F.5 that I am putting a large cap dizzy on along with a carb rebuild from him and he suggested the following:

"If using the 81-87 ignition system in a 68-74 F engine, use a Denso W14EXR-U or NGK BPR4EY gapped to .032-.036"

It looks like this plug is pretty consistent with all the f and 2f engines from what I could tell so HTH.

Alex

I was told to use NGK BPR4EY in the 2F

Nice to know that they reccommend the same plugs that are used in Bentley and Roll Royce autos. But then it is the same plug used by a number of lawnmowers. I prefer Bosch Plaltinum and have run them for years with both my stock '78 dizzy and my DUI HEI.

Hey Drew,
I just asked Jim this question about my F.5 that I am putting a large cap dizzy on along with a carb rebuild from him and he suggested the following:

"If using the 81-87 ignition system in a 68-74 F engine, use a Denso W14EXR-U or NGK BPR4EY gapped to .032-.036"

It looks like this plug is pretty consistent with all the f and 2f engines from what I could tell so HTH.

Alex

Alex-Thanks-that's 2 I owe you! Do you want to join us for a bit of 4 wheeling on the fringes of the Rubicon trail May 18? You can see your old springs in action!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom