What size trailer to haul an FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's plenty of trailer. I've used a uhaul car hauler once, and a 7k lb car hauler a few times.

That’ll work. Strap it down properly. All of it 😂.

1646626755148.jpeg

Last edited:
Towed thousands of miles.

20170729_094554.jpg

Another question what is the tow vehicle? Does the trailer have brakes and is the tow vehicle equipped to use them?
Tow vehicle right now is a 1975 FJ55.

The tow vehicle is rigged to use trailer brakes, if they are available.

I could also rent a Ford F250, but that wouldn't be as epic.

That’ll work. Strap it down properly. All of it 😂.

View attachment 2945406
Yeah, no kidding.

I saw the thread earlier where a car hauler let the top fly off of an FJ40.

Also so a car hauler last week towing a modern car with the hood bent back into the windshield. Evidently "the least you can do" was this a******'s motto.

Tow vehicle right now is a 1975 FJ55.

The tow vehicle is rigged to use trailer brakes, if they are available.

I could also rent a Ford F250, but that wouldn't be as epic.
Rent the F250, your 55 will thank you! It does not have the brakes and the stock 6 cyl are not up to the task. It would not be safe for anyone around you.

18 footer is plenty. I borrowed one from a friend and hauled Miss Scarlet from Arkansas to Colorado. Make sure the tires are not aged out, you have a spare tire, suitable jack, wheel bearings are serviced and the brakes work. Be sure to spend a little money on correct tie downs.
IMG_2193(4X6).jpg

18 footer is plenty. I borrowed one from a friend and hauled Miss Scarlet from Arkansas to Colorado. Make sure the tires are not aged out, you have a spare tire, suitable jack, wheel bearings are serviced and the brakes work. Be sure to spend a little money on correct tie downs.
View attachment 2945588
Great advice!

I've reserved a Super Duty from Enterprise truck rental and a U-haul car hauler trailer and will go get the 40 on Thursday.

Great advice!

I've reserved a Super Duty from Enterprise truck rental and a U-haul car hauler trailer and will go get the 40 on Thursday.

Wise choice. Did U-Haul ask what you were driving and what vehicle you were hauling? Sure a FJ55 couldn't even rent a car hauler. My sister owned a Explorer from the Wilderness tire era. U-Haul would not rent them the smallest trailer they had. This was less than five years ago.

We trailered ours using a U-Haul car hauler with a F250 Super Duty. I believe that U-Haul has gone with a computerized reservation system so that the make and model of the towing vehicle must show up as approved before they will allow.

10.27.2021.Tow.3.jpg

We trailered ours using a U-Haul car hauler with a F250 Super Duty. I believe that U-Haul has gone with a computerized reservation system so that the make and model of the towing vehicle must show up as approved before they will allow.

View attachment 2945868
That is exactly correct. Though the local Sunbelt rental would've let me hook up to their 20 foot equipment trailer with winch and tilt bed without even batting an eye.

common knowledge that you can tell them you're towing one vehicle when in reality you'll have something else on it to get them to rent it to you.

What happens if something goes wrong in that case is the big question

Just hauled mine to Colorado from Minnesota with this setup.

20220219_110914.jpg

40's are relatively light. I would not personally pull it behind a 55 though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom