what size thule cross bar to use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a couple of sets of thule cross bars with gutter mounts on craigslist. One is a 50" and the other is a 58".
What size cross bars are folks running?
Thanks.

I keep mine really tight to the truck
Mine barely extend beyond the gutter mount itself

They are 53 inches
The knobs on my thule gutter mounts stick out further than the bars do
50 inches might be a tad small

I will post a pic in the morning it is dark now, to show you what I mean

They are 53 inches
The knobs on my thule gutter mounts stick out further than the bars do
50 inches might be a tad small

I will post a pic in the morning it is dark now, to show you what I mean

awesome!

I keep mine short because of the tight trails here in the East
Some people like them longer
And they still get hung up from time to time
I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the big knobs on the mount to keep it even tighter
Rack 004.jpg
Rack 005.jpg

whooo...you have 4 of them. that's awesome!

I beleive these are 60". Never had an issue getting hung up on narrow trails and you can hang christmas decorations off the ends.
IMG_4030.jpg

I beleive these are 60". Never had an issue getting hung up on narrow trails and you can hang christmas decorations off the ends.

It all depends on the trail and the type of wheeln that you do
I have had my issues and dents:grinpimp:

Like kidglove, I run the standard height gutter-mount feet (you don't need the hi-rise, even if your factory rack is still on the roof) - My bars are ~58" & that gives just under 5" on each side outside the mount.

I have two different length sets. One is the 53" for everyday use and one is a set of 65" that I can double stack surfboards on sided by side.

I keep mine short because of the tight trails here in the East
Some people like them longer
And they still get hung up from time to time
I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the big knobs on the mount to keep it even tighter

Roger - What exactly is the model for the feet and bar? How tall are the feet and how long are the bars? Thank you.

If I rememder the gutter mounts are the Thule 300 gutter mounts and the Thule 58 inch bars which I cut down to 52-53 inches
With these mounts the bars will just clear the factory rack on the 80 it works out great and keeps the rack close to the roof
The bottom of the cross bar will be 5 inches above the roof +/-

I have J springs/35s and barely fit into a lot of parking garages (most call for 6' 8" - 7')... do you guys know what the lowest profile rack feet are that will work? (Yakima, Thule, whatever...)

I really want the rack bar to be the same height if not shorter than the height of the stock roof rack profile

I have J springs/35s and barely fit into a lot of parking garages (most call for 6' 8" - 7')... do you guys know what the lowest profile rack feet are that will work? (Yakima, Thule, whatever...)

I really want the rack bar to be the same height if not shorter than the height of the stock roof rack profile

GL with that - as you can see from Kidglove's pic, the standard height Thule gutter mount feet hold the crossbars a hair over the factory rack & Yakima's will do the same - so by the time you add any attachments you just have to accept that you simply don't fit in many parking garages.

You would have to go cu$tom to get a really low profile, and it wouldn't really gain you that much once you have attachments added to the crossbars.

GL with that - as you can see from Kidglove's pic, the standard height Thule gutter mount feet hold the crossbars a hair over the factory rack & Yakima's will do the same - so by the time you add any attachments you just have to accept that you simply don't fit in many parking garages.

You would have to go cu$tom to get a really low profile, and it wouldn't really gain you that much once you have attachments added to the crossbars.

No attachments will be used in my application. I have seen other models of feet that hug the roof of the cruiser much closer.

No attachments will be used in my application. I have seen other models of feet that hug the roof of the cruiser much closer.

Do you still have the factory rack on the roof?

If so, once you get the standard feet installed you'll see crossbar isn't any taller than the factory rack where the arched lateral arms are (the ones you can adjust front to back) at - you can't install the Thule bars directly over the factory rack because the underside of the bars would hit the factory longitudinal bars, let alone the lateral arched/adjustable arms.

The gap between the roof & the underside of the bars is only 1.5" at the center in the rear behind the factory rack - no joke, I just measured it. If you need a pic to see what I mean, LMK.

Rack is coming off this weekend (dam thing created a leak in my roof)

Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was trying to find out. It sounds like there may not be a huge, if any, difference. I appreciate the pic offer... I may take you up on that at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom