What size thread/fitting for 3B diesel oil port? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put a turbo on my 3B. My oil supply line goes to the oil port on the engine below/behind the alternator. The thread on the plug did not match any threaded bolt I could find, but is very close to 1/8 NPT. I assumed it was a taper thread and 1/8 NPT will thread in and then you can force it a couple turns till i'ts tight. I'm still getting some leakage. It is annoying. What thread fitting do I need to use in these oil ports to get a no leak oil line????
Seems I"ve heard something about a AN/JIC fitting somewhere, but I"m not sure where.

It's been many years, and I may be wrong, but I think it's 1/8" BSP (British standard pipe thread), that's a parallel whitworth thread, 55 degrees, at 28 tpi, that needs an oring or crush seal, as opposed to 1/8" NPT (national pipe taper) a tapered 60 degree thread at 27 tpi.
So you're only getting a small area of thread contact and no sealing as from a male to female taper thread. You will get leaks. You need the correct fitting, or an appropriate adapter. Let's hope that you haven't damaged the thread in the casting!

It's been many years, and I may be wrong, but I think it's 1/8" BSP (British standard pipe thread), that's a parallel whitworth thread, 55 degrees, at 28 tpi, that needs an oring or crush seal, as opposed to 1/8" NPT (national pipe taper) a tapered 60 degree thread at 27 tpi.
So you're only getting a small area of thread contact and no sealing as from a male to female taper thread. You will get leaks. You need the correct fitting, or an appropriate adapter. Let's hope that you haven't damaged the thread in the casting!
Thankyou, I will look for a BSP thread. This is something I have to order versus being able to buy off the shelf. Somewhere else I have seen something about JIC fitting, but cannot find it anymore.
The 1/8 inch npt screws in a little and then becomes difficult and subs stops. kind of like the thread is close but not quite exact. I assume this was due to a taper thread. The npt fitting is brass so I assumed it would deform to the threads in iron block if need be. I use some Teflon tape but it is still not quite good enough.

Mcmaster Carr sells BSP adapters and fittings.
I have read of people running a NPT tap into the BSP hole.
I just bought an adapter.

Yes, as mentioned above 1/8 BSP. This thread has some adapters discussed.

hth's
gb

Just FYI, the seal on a tapered pipe thread actually is designed to occur in the thread engagement, Teflon tape, properly applied, is only a lubricant to get full and proper engagement. That said, tapered pipe treads are only really effective when the threads are initially used, not re-used, as the thread tips are deformed during initial seating.
I know, too much information, just hand me more of the white sealant goop!

I'll try to see if I can o
Just FYI, the seal on a tapered pipe thread actually is designed to occur in the thread engagement, Teflon tape, properly applied, is only a lubricant to get full and proper engagement. That said, tapered pipe treads are only really effective when the threads are initially used, not re-used, as the thread tips are deformed during initial seating.
I know, too much information, just hand me more of the white sealant goop!
I will definitely use teflon tape. I really don't like old leaks just makes you feel insecure about your vehicle even if it's just a minor leak. Not to mention the spots on your concrete driveway.

Ordered 1/8 BSPT male to 3/8NPT female fitting today from macmaster car. I will go from that to 1/2 barb. Rubber line to the oil line fitting on the turbo.
Unfortunately my turbo gave out 2 nights ago. bearing/oil seal was weeping since new and it finally let go. It was a $99 turbo off of Ebay out of Hong Kong.....Some don't last and I got a bad one. Rebuild kit on the way and perhaps the seller will do something for me so I don't give them a bad review that their turbo went out at less than 1000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom