What should my next project be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got an 2003 LX470 with roughly 235k miles on the clock. So far I’ve replaced/added:

Timing belt
Water pump
Heater T’s
Idler Pulley
Serpentine belt
Breaks/rotors
Fluids
2” IM lift
35” Goodyears
ARB bumper
Exhaust
02 sensors
CV axles
Sway bar bushings
Wheel Bearings

I’ve got about $2,000 on hand for my next project, and I need to prioritize. At this point, I have no issues, knock on wood 🤞🏻. My truck is originally from MD/VA so rust is not horrible, nor non existent. I’ve been slowly working at the frame, either cleaning or replacing. At this point, the frame itself looks good, but there are random things that have rusted more than others. Here’s what I’m thinking as far as possible projects. Any insight would be great. I do plan on keeping this long term. I’m all ears for other suggestions.

1. I’m contemplating replacing the Fuel tank “skid plate” as mine looks horrible and the front crossmember. Though they get the job done, they look horrible. While I’m in there, I’d replace both engine and transmission mounts. Engine mounts could possibly be a shop job.

2. Replacing the steering rack and high pressure line. I do have slight movement in my rack, and the high pressure line is all but corroded away. I’d have to send this off to a shop as I don’t have the patience for this project. I’d replace the steering pump and reservoir myself.

3. Rear hatch. It is rusted, but not terrible and works. I found a good deal on a new one, but I’d have to paint and buy all new hardware.

4. Full underbody treatment/coating

5. Proactively replacing alternator, ac compressor.

6. Rear Swing-out bumper, though I’d have to save a bit more.

Last edited:
I agree with the brake booster.

2. Replacing the steering rack and high pressure line. I do have slight movement in my rack, and the high pressure line is all but corroded away. I’d have to send this off to a shop as I don’t have the patience for this project. I’d replace the steering pump and reservoir myself. : If you are replacing a good functional OEm pump with a rebuilt unit, leave the OEM pump alone.

3. Rear hatch. It is rusted, but not terrible and works. I found a good deal on a new one, but I’d have to paint and buy all new hardware.

4. Full underbody treatment/coating:
Use fluid film only. no coatings that will harden after the application.

If you are replacing a good functional OEm alternator and AC compressor with a rebuilt units, leave those alone. YOu can however replace the alternator brush kit with an OEM unit.

I agree with the brake booster.

2. Replacing the steering rack and high pressure line. I do have slight movement in my rack, and the high pressure line is all but corroded away. I’d have to send this off to a shop as I don’t have the patience for this project. I’d replace the steering pump and reservoir myself. : If you are replacing a good functional OEm pump with a rebuilt unit, leave the OEM pump alone.

4. Full underbody treatment/coating:
Use fluid film only. no coatings that will harden after the application.

If you are replacing a good functional OEm alternator and AC compressor with a rebuilt units, leave those alone. YOu can however replace the alternator brush kit with an OEM unit.

Appreciate it. Everything I’ve done so far, and in the future has and will be OEM parts. I figured they have lasted 20+ years for a reason. My frame currently has a hefty coat of fluid film on it, so that checks that box.

I’ll look into pricing out a Brake booster as I can easily do that. Thanks again

Got a quote back for the engine mounts, steering rack and pressure lines. Total was $2,600 with labor. They quoted me $877 for the Rack and Pinion, I can purchase it from my Toyota dealer for $571.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom