What should I pay for this truck? - '83 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been chatting with a guy who has a stock 1983 FJ60. Completely rust free. Truck has 275K miles, engine has about 190K miles. Represented as working perfectly in every way. Other than front seats and the dash being aged and needing attention, it looks too good to pass up. If I can get it for $10K, is that a good deal in this day and age?

Litteraly hundreds of variables, your ability, your location....buy what you are comfortable with. You do you. There are hundreds of for sale posts in this site ...check them out.
I get that - still, vehicles have an intrinsic market value based on what the market will bear. I am trying to figure out by asking what this market will bear.

Anything rust free is gonna be worth damn near whatever they're asking, so, going on the info provided, I'd say you're doing okay at $10k.

you say you've been chatting with the owner. Have you seen it? a lot of things could be done to a 37 year old rig.
Do you need it smogged? will it pass smog?
without pics this is fishing without bait.

you say you've been chatting with the owner. Have you seen it? a lot of things could be done to a 37 year old rig.
Do you need it smogged? will it pass smog?
without pics this is fishing without bait.
Pics are great and there were a lot of them - truck is really quite beautiful. Passed CA smog. What is getting me is the 275K miles... I have owned a lot of L/C's but nothing with that much mileage...

Anything rust free is gonna be worth damn near whatever they're asking, so, going on the info provided, I'd say you're doing okay at $10k.

Gave about that for this truck:

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

With frame rails that look like this throughout:

IMG_4329.JPG

I don't think you would be crazy for giving 10K for something similar.

Mileage on these I don't think is that big a concern. Higher mileage means someone has had to replace parts at some point which means you don't have to. The low mileage trucks are the ones I worry about because nothing has been done to them. As in, you are on the hook for replacing stuff(and you will have to replace stuff). These are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Seen $20K rusty trucks and $5000 rust free ones. Really is no rhyme or reason to any of it these days IMHO. This truck has good seats (no rips) with just some sun fading. Rust is the only killer of these things, so if that's not an issue really, then you are prolly ahead. HTH.

View attachment 2189397
View attachment 2189399

View attachment 2189398

Mileage on these I don't think is that big a concern. Higher mileage means someone has had to replace parts at some point which means you don't have to. The low mileage trucks are the ones I worry about because nothing has been done to them. As in, you are on the hook for replacing stuff(and you will have to replace stuff). These are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Seen $20K rusty trucks and $5000 rust free ones. Really is no rhyme or reason to any of it these days IMHO. This truck has good seats (no rips) with just some sun fading. Rust is the only killer of these things, so if that's not an issue really, then you are prolly ahead. HTH.
What was the mileage on that one?

173K. Now a daily driver at 196,000. Have done a ton of work to it to get it where it is now, but have not had to chase rust issues.

Mileage wouldn't be my concern. It would be rust, condition of engine and how willing you are to dump a lot of time, cash and energy into the vehicle and your overall expectations and plan for the vehicle.

I've looked at plenty of Cruisers and owners claim rust free or just in one spot etc. Get there and it's much worse sometimes.

I'd be going to see the vehicle in person, then make a more experienced decision.

Mileage wouldn't be my concern. It would be rust, condition of engine and how willing you are to dump a lot of time, cash and energy into the vehicle and your overall expectations and plan for the vehicle.

I've looked at plenty of Cruisers and owners claim rust free or just in one spot etc. Get there and it's much worse sometimes.

I'd be going to see the vehicle in person, then make a more experienced decision.
I will be going to see it shortly. Thank you.

If the body is rust free, and no bad body repairs or Hackery, then $10k is a good price In this market
Clean 60s are rocketing in prices. Harder than ever to find clean older land cruisers.

275k is certainly not unheard of

Yeah, prices are all over the place. $10k sounds very fair considering the description. I overpaid for mine by about $3-5k when I bought it (needed more work than I thought, and had an undisclosed title issue) but overall it’s a clean rig. I love it and I don’t worry about that anymore.

As the buyer you should pay as little as possible. As the seller the most as possible 😂

I would add to this that the engine should be in good running condition and the interior should be in nice shape.

I recently helped a guy out by looking over his newly purchased 60. While the frame was nice and the body with the exception of some dents in the doors was good, this truck had many issues and was NOT worth 10k IMHO.

He had worn out leaf springs, worn out spring bushings to the point the pins were no longer centered in the spring eye,

The head was probably cracked or a valve problem causing soot to pile up on the spark plugs and foul them to the point of having to change them weekly.

The engine had a noticeable shake ...probably a miss from the fouled plugs (although he drove it home fine when he bought it)

The clutch was almost worn out judging by how high the pedal released.

the interior was well worn, and the temp control valve was frozen. The truck was partially poorly desmogged.

The original cat was still on the car and obviously had rust holes.

Unless you're trying to flip it, the truck is worth what you're willing to pay for it. If you like it, and it's in your budget and doesn't need more work than you're willing to put into it, go for it. Dont bother adding up the receipts, that's the path to madness. We work on and drive these rigs because we love it, not because it's a 'smart' financial decision.

View attachment 2189397
View attachment 2189399

View attachment 2189398

Man....i LOVE that color!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom