What should I look for in a PPI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. It’s been quite a while since I was in an 80 series. I had a 1995, in 1997….. bunch of LCs after. I’m looking at a 40th year, 160k miles. What should I focus on for a ppi? I don’t care about the little stuff, just the big issue items. Thanks!

Yep I saw that sticky, read the slee write up. Looking for something more specific than “test drive and look for vibrations” good article for someone new to LCs or vehicles in general. Looking for things prone to fail by 160k miles, birfield joints, head gaskets, etc and what to look for.

Head gasket. Rust. Knock or use meter to check panels etc for bondo/repair. Any car bought at that age(and for what i suspect your price to be)I would personally have both a compression and leak down performed. Im sure others will chime in with more specific. Besides the above, I would put more of an emphasis on finding a shop well versed/respected in land cruisers (or atleast older vehicles) than necessarily any specific item. Just my .02 and best of luck!

TL;DR: everything is suspect due to the truck's age.

My punch list would be:

Every bushing in the chassis.
Belts
Hoses
PS - any noises? color of the fluid?
radiator - are the tanks discolored? any hints of brown or greens in the plastic tell you its a time bomb

OTRAMM has a bunch of LC repair videos on Youtube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom