what should i get my saginaw from?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i was looking into the saginaw power steering pump upgrade for my 83 FJ60 ...and haven't been able to find out what the best vehicle to get this for is.

My plan was to get a pump from advanced auto or napa, but what type of vehicle should i tell them to look up the pump for ?

Ive heard they come in old chevrolet pickups ,and volvo 240's, the volvo should have metric fittings for they high pressure hose and the right size pulley ....if i read correctly!!

what is everyone's recommendation for my setup i have 32x11.50s on my 83 FJ60 the power steering was working fine other than the pump leaking around the shaft , i rebuilt it with a gates rebuild kit ...still leaking so i want a saginaw would i need ne thing other than the pump ?

I used a Man-a-fre pulley and a Man-fre mounting bracket. This pulley requires a pump with a keyed pump shaft, mine is from a 1969 Chevrolet C10. The metric threads of the Cruiser screwed right into the Chevy pump. This is a more expensive route but I am happy with the result.

I used a pump from a Volvo 240. I am very happy with the result. No issues so far.

what year volvo , and is the pulley the right size when you get the volvo pump?

Saginaw PS pumps came on anything GM with PS up to the intro of the LSx engines. Some have remote reservoirs, most don't. Remote reservoir application would be a late 70's to mid 80's one ton big block pick-up. Those with combined reservoirs are commonly called "canned ham" pumps because of the reservoir's shape. I'll bet that searching the "canned ham pump" term will turn up more info than you could possibly ever want to know. I know that there are some differences from one application to another, but I don't know what all of them might be. I'd suggest staying away from an application with a rack & pinion steering gear as those tend to want a lower pressure than the steering box used on the older cars, trucks, and the FJ-60's.

Starting somewhere shortly before '91 (not sure where exactly) they switched from an inverted flare output fitting to an "O-Ring Bump" fitting. They are not interchangable, but you can get adapters for either to go to AN/JIC 37* fittings. Going to AN/JIC means that you can build your own high pressure hose from reusable hose ends and hose from your local Farm implement/industrial hydraulics store.

I went to the yard looking for 198X or 199X volvo 240's. these are the prototypical 4 door boxes (sedan and wagon). Pop the hood and you should see a "canned ham" looking thing with the pulley and cap on the driver's side. If you cannot find one let me know, I can try to find another one. My local yards have a lot of these 240's.

I think the defining feature that makes the Volvo saginaw desirable is that the fittings are metric and our factory lines just plug in.

Mine came from a 1984 vovlo. I had to weld 2 volvo pulleys together and do some grinding to space it for the belt properly, i will take a picture and post it up later. But the pulley diameter works.

Pics as promised

BTW, I got the pump and pulleys for $19. Best mod I have done yet. I would have spent $100 more for the same result. Good shot of the custom welded bracket too. Hardest part of the install was fitting it to the bracket, but it was worth it to save the hundreds that MAF charges for their Sag bracket.
2012-04-27_19-50-50_973.jpg

2012-04-27_19-51-03_592.jpg
2012-04-27_19-50-50_973.jpg
2012-04-27_19-51-03_592.jpg

thanks for all the info im gonna look for a volvo in my local junkyard! can u tell me more bout welding the two pulleys together ?? u wouldnt happen to have some pics of this process would u?

why cant my stock pulley be put on the sag pump? ive read a guy got one off a 69 c10 chevy and the threads matched ,and the pulley will work from what i understood!! i also see some pumps have the keyd shaft for the pulley and some dont ?

why cant my stock pulley be put on the sag pump? ive read a guy got one off a 69 c10 chevy and the threads matched ,and the pulley will work from what i understood!! i also see some pumps have the keyd shaft for the pulley and some dont ?

The stock pulley can be put on there, the pump I picked up did not have a keyway so I just bored the stock pulley out to press fit on the shaft. It started spinning on me so I just tacked it in place and never had any issues with it.

toyofj60 said:
thanks for all the info im gonna look for a volvo in my local junkyard! can u tell me more bout welding the two pulleys together ?? u wouldnt happen to have some pics of this process would u?

Unfortunately, no pics. Just clamped the two pulleys together, tacked it together, and welded all the way around. I then used a dremmel to trim down what I needed to so it wouldn't rub on anything. My only caution would be to make sure the donor pulleys are straight. One of mine is a little off and it wobbles slightly in use

i got a 95 durango pump cause advanced had one in stock $50 with reservoir , The high pressure hose screws right in! I also bored out my stock pulley to fit on the shaft and plan to weld it on ....now i jus have to make a bracket LOL those pics from waxwrapped are great !....any one else got some pics of there home made brackets for ideas for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom