What should I buy, 55, 60, 80 please help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 74 FJ40 right now and I drive a full size 94 Blazer as my DD but I was thinking about getting another cruiser. My questions is I like how rare the pigs seem to be and love the look of the 80 but the 60 seems like it's tougher. What would you guys recommend getting and why? Parts, easy or working on, best years, value or anything else you can think of. I like the idea of not having a computer as well.

93/94 FZJ80 with lockers. You get the best of all worlds.
Power, lockers, less rust, price and you don't have to swap out the crap pre80 seats.

landtoy80 said:
93/94 FZJ80 with lockers. You get the best of all worlds.
Power, lockers, less rust, price and you don't have to swap out the crap pre80 seats.

I would tend to agree. Depending on how much you want to spend. AN FJ62 would be another choice for some of that and less cost.

A '93-'97 80 is tough to beat. 60s and 62s are cool rigs and you can get some great deals on them, but I think the best value going is an 80 w/lockers as stated above. I'm trying to figure out a way to get one without selling the 60.

gulp3000 said:
A '93-'97 80 is tough to beat. 60s and 62s are cool rigs and you can get some great deals on them, but I think the best value going is an 80 w/lockers as stated above. I'm trying to figure out a way to get one without selling the 60.

Me too.

But then again, I'd love to have a 55, and tend to lean toward the less practical when I get right down too it. With the family, etc, the 80 would be the best bet.

Besides, you've got the 40 to bounce around in, may as well shoot for the luxury of the 80...and don't forget the LX450, either. Prices tend to run a little lower on them than the LC - and they come with pink panties! :D

So those 80s come with lockers? I have a 1994 Blazer as I said that has a $5,200 paint job on it so I think I could sell it for about $6,500 maybe $7,000 and swap right into a nice cruiser. I'll check out some 80s for sure!

Thanks a lot!

Don't be down on having a vehicle w/ a computer if it's a Toyota...Mr. T. makes the finest and most reliable fuel injection there is. If you were like me and detested the electric window/tinted glass heroin that most seem to love, then you get a 60. Just my opinion.

Thanks guys for the help. I think I'll just buy a nice 80 and sell some of my other crap to fund it!

If you can only have 1, and the choice is between a 60 and an 80, the 80 is a better truck. Not many competent 4 wheel drive trucks can cruise in comfort at 75 mph. The choice between a 55 and a 60 is harder. 55s have that cool no nonsense look, but the 60 is a better truck in almost every way-better seats, power steering, air conditioning, wider axles, standard (stronger) birfields, split transfer case etc. There are lots of good 60s left, but very few good 55s. Now if the right 55 came my way, I'd snap it up, but the 60 is a better vehicle, being objective. Good luck, wagons are the future and they are great if you have a family.

Pluton said:
If you were like me and detested the electric window/tinted glass heroin that most seem to love, then you get a 60. QUOTE]
55, 60, or 80 isn't really a fair fight. They are totally different beasts, each with its own set of benefit and detriments.

Regarding the 80 (and yes I do have an agenda) they are indeed on paper "better" than the other 2 options. But the 80s are more complicated (read that more things to break, more cost to maintain) and now that the fleet is passing into its second decade they haven't shown to be as reliable as the earlier variants. Issues with headgaskets, heater hoses that Toyota says requires engine removal to replace, and assorted other gremlins can make the cost of ownership ugly, even without the mods we all love.

A few years ago when I did my V8 swap I was chastened by others in my local TLCA chapter for not "evolving" into the 80 series instead. Lately we've had people who owned 80s trade them back for nice examples of earlier LCs.

My .02

Cruisergreg said:
Pluton said:
If you were like me and detested the electric window/tinted glass heroin that most seem to love, then you get a 60. QUOTE]
and now that the fleet is passing into its second decade they haven't shown to be as reliable as the earlier variants. Issues with headgaskets, heater hoses

My .02

word.
last yr i was hot to get an 80, after about a week hanging in the 80,section i saw enough about HG's to run me off.

sonoranfun said:
So those 80s come with lockers?...
It should be noted...that lockers were an option with the 80s. Not all 80s come with OEM lockers.

go get a 450 like norcal.... :flipoff2:

i say go with an 80 if you are looking to replace your DD. othewise, i would go with a 55 or 60.....

Do you have any mechanical skills? Do you have any money? Do you have time to fool with your cruiser?

If the answer to any or all of the above is no, get an FZJ80 and maintain it. Most of us with older cruisers have spent the equivilent of the price of a nice 80 messin' with our older rigs.

Of course there are few things cooler than a 60.

M

I've got a 62 and adore it, but she needs some work. Still runs beautifully, but a little rough around the edges and I want her purrin' like a kitten so I'm gonna put her on jackstands and replace some "big" parts, clean up the engine, replace wiring, and do an axle rebuild. I know I need another car to drive while I work on my 62 and was about to take my mom's old Mercedes wagon for trade-in value, but then came to my senses.
I'm lookin' for a '93-'97 80 with lockers. Simple as that. They are awesome trucks and Cruisers at that. Great resell value(if I decide to sell it after my 62 is repaired. :D ) Chances are the 80's a keeper.
If I had to do it all over again and were in your situation lookin' for a new Cruiser, I'd get a '93-'97 80 w/ lockers....but I'd also get a 62. :doh: (The little devil on my shoulder made me say that. :D Can't help it.)

To go back a couple of threads I agree with Cruisergreg.
But I guess if your going to drive around in the city an 80 or 100 would do.
But if your looking for that LandCruiser feel I'd suggest a 60. Good strong comfortable truck with a stick shift. Not to mention the best body styling of any of the wagons.
In a pinch you might look at a 62.

devo

I'd go with a 60... (I did go with a 60)

I know the 80 is a lot more refined, but when I drive a truck, I personally don't look for refinement. I want it to ride like a truck. If I want refinement, I'll drive the Mercedes. ;)

And Fuel Injection, and all those other electronics can be a hassle. Toyota makes great fuel injection and electronics systems, but they eventually will break, and you might be a hundred miles from nowhere when they do.

With a 60, I can carry a set of metric wrenches, sockets, some screwdrivers and other basic tools and basic spare parts and I know I can tackle most things that can go wrong in the field if I have to. They are stupid simple. They do not have half a mile of wiring in them... (that's probably an exaggeration of course) When my diesel conversion is complete, it will be that much simpler even.

They are a truck lover's truck, and are just easy to work on, and yeah, I dig the crudely utilitarian look of them.

And invest in a set of lockers and maybe a lift, and you'll go anywhere an 80 will.

Steve

I've been back & forth on this myself, decided it came down to the looks (my personal preference, of course) and toughness / reliability / simplicity of the FJ62. It's a truck you can use and not have to worry about all the nice interior getting messed up, but also looks great on the road. FJ60 probably has it beat for appearance (round headlights), but EFI is a plus on the '62.

My wife would prefer an 80, but it seems too "citified" to me (IMO)...

Still lookin' of course, but my truck is out there.... somewhere... waiting for me.... <sigh>

(OK, that's a little wierd)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom