1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what should good engine/valves sound like?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by e9999, Mar 29, 2004.

1. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

the sound of my 4.5L is a bit different than previous trucks or cars I owned. Quite a bit louder. I wouldn't exactly say like a diesel, but kinda halfway between my Accord and a Diesel. Perhaps normal for a big inline.
    It's loud enough that I am wondering about valve noise. Are there some typical sounds or noises that one should associate with valves out of adjustment?
    I know, it's hard to describe in writing, but any attempt at "description" would help. I will use a stethoscope and see if one cylinder area is particularly noisier than others. But in general, are there audible warning signs for problems whether valves specifically or engine in general ?
    thanks
    Eric

2. Sammy Jenkins

Sammy Jenkins

Re:what should good valves sound like?

Yeah, I think I'm in the same situation. Kind of sounds like a diesel. When people ask me what kind of engine you got under there, I'll sometimes say it is a diesel. I guess this is a pretty normal thing... hopefully. My friend has another FZJ it sounds the same way, he has 100k miles. My truck has 135k miles if u were wondering. I would say that it is pretty normal for a big inline from my observation, than again I could be wrong.

3. Boom7750

Boom7750

I *think* that what alot of people might mistake for valve-rattling is actually noise coming from the injectors. Mine makes a kind of "popping" sound, similar to noisy valves, but more crisp and precise...like its ticking. But remember, at least on the 1fz engine, a quiet valve is a tight valve. And that's not a good thing.
    John

4. e9999

the injectors I think are typically much more a sharp short duration click. I checked some that were exposed on a Dodge and you could hear them very well individually.

The noise in my 97 is more bass than treble. More like banging than clicking IIRC ...

E

5. Pitbull

Pitbull

[quote author=Boom7750 link=board=2;threadid=13891;start=msg128837#msg128837 date=1080586948]
    But remember, at least on the 1fz engine, a quiet valve is a tight valve. And that's not a good thing.
    John
    [/quote]

John nailed this answer. You want them to make noise. I checked mine at 100K miles and they were all right in the middle of the spec. Remember when you check them it has to be on a cold engine.

6. e9999

PB, how many :banana: for a valve measurement check?
    Eric

7. cruiserman

cruiserman

1 :banana:

Pull the valve cover and be able to rotate the crank.