What should be checked on an import 1hdt or 1hdft from Japan ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Import 1hdt and 1hdft motors are very common here in Australia to update from 1hz's. They come from Japan after the vehicles there are deemed unroadworthy after some specified time period or number of km's due to emissions rules.

Current prices are about A$8k for an import 1hdt and A$11k for an import 1hdft.

I know that 1hdt's have a known history of problems with BEB's, so at the very least I'd presume that should always be checked on one of those. What known issues do 1hdft's have that should be checked out?

Ta.

Timing. Mine was quite retarded, I'm guessing to make it more environmentally friendly for inspections?

I wouldn't sweat on the BEB issue. It was really only a 1HD-T issue, and then it's hit and miss with the odds your favor.
If you go down that road, I would run it, and get oil sample analysis done after 10k km.

Flush cooling system, check thermostat, water pump, and fan hub
change timing belt, tensioner and pulley
Clean out intake manifold and piping

Someone is a local Oz forum reckons brand new 1hdt crate motors are still available from Japan for around A$16k through Amayama, etc. I'm presuming they'd be later build ones (so have all the known production defects fixed)? I don't doubt that crate 1hdft's are still available as I think that's still a motor in production (1hdt could be too - dunno).

Ok with a big of gizzarding in toyodiy in HDJ80R parts listings I *think* what I'm looking for is what Toyota calls a 'partial engine assembly'? For 1HDT, I've tracked p/n's in amayama up to 19000-17224 and that's coming back with an A$ price of just under $19k and a weight of 270 kg (so I reckon that's correct as being the basic engine). Unsurprisingly Partsouq reports nill stock of them.

So add in freight and it'll be about A$25k if those part numbers are the right ones for a new 1hdt crate motor. That's about 4 times the current insurance value of my 1hz powered 80. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Hey Craig - You will need to add a turbo, IP, manifold etc. on top of that $25k. Low mileage HD-T with IP rebuild, injectors, G-Turbo and IC should be around half that. If your HZ has 640K kms - why not upgrade?

An import 1hdt is about A$8k and import 1hdft about A$11k. If a new crate 1hdt is actually possible at less than stupid prices I'd consider it and then have a new turbo diesel motor that will outlast the vehicle itself.

Is it possible to tell what revision of 1hdt an import motor is? Coming out of japan you'd think all import motors are recent revision engines.

I've hunted around and it seems much of the reason there is a 'market' for ex-Japan import motors comes from this:

Motor-vehicle inspection (Japan) - Wikipedia

Specifically these:

Apparently information on km's travelled or age of vehicle that the engine's come from is never provided, though it *must* be known before the vehicle is slated to become a target for the export market...

Japanese used vehicle exporting - Wikipedia

Found this on the website on one of the many Japanese import engine places operating here in Australia:

IMPORT ENGINES | BRISBANE MOTOR IMPORTS

Last edited:
I'm sure if you search you'll find a recent revision used 1HD-T. Recent being 1995.

As far as mileage on a used Japanese import, you take your chances.

I think 1HD-T were still in production in South America later than 95.

1HD-T is also built and sold as a Yanmar marine engine

i know this is an old thread but im looking for a new/newer 1HDT myself and i also live in Japan. there is a misconception on why motors or any car parts from japan go for export. the real reason is cost, we have to do yearly inspections on our vehicles called JCI's and if you fail then the cost to get everything fixed can in many cases cost more then junking the car and buying a new used car. for example my 80 has 250K and my hilux had 380K. yearly cost for my to pass my inspection is about $1000 on top of my yearly road tax which is close to another $1000 then add insurance and the fact that everything is based off weight so even for tolls i have to pay much more then a sedan just to use the roads, so this of course adds up quick and the wages here in japan are low. then factor in that the worst your emissions get you get banned from driving in bigger cities like Tokyo and if you are caught the fines are huge.

now in Japan once you junk a vehicle it can never be used on the road again... ever for any reason so they get parted out. when you go to junk yards here you will see amazing condition cars that were junked and will never see a road again all because teh last owner coulndt at the time fit the bill to get the JCI done. if you have the funds you can drive your car on the roads forever but if you cant and your JCI cost $800 to repair, you can normally fine 100 more A-B cards for $500

Wow, and people complain about regulations in the US, perspective is a wonderful thing

There are so many 'grey market' ex Japan vehicles in the world, plus a huge 'grey market' in ex-Japan diesel engines.

What should be checked on an import 1hdt or 1hdft from Japan ?
[quote/]

The thing I would be checking is the vendors willingness to work with you shall a problem arise. Decent vendors will try their hardest to isolate possible problem engines from their stock before you buy them.
Some of those big engine importers up that way have been in the courts recently and were penalised for various breaches.

Someone is a local Oz forum reckons brand new 1hdt crate motors are still available from Japan for around A$16k through Amayama, etc. I'm presuming they'd be later build ones (so have all the known production defects fixed)? I don't doubt that crate 1hdft's are still available as I think that's still a motor in production (1hdt could be too - dunno).

Ok with a big of gizzarding in toyodiy in HDJ80R parts listings I *think* what I'm looking for is what Toyota calls a 'partial engine assembly'? For 1HDT, I've tracked p/n's in amayama up to 19000-17224 and that's coming back with an A$ price of just under $19k and a weight of 270 kg (so I reckon that's correct as being the basic engine). Unsurprisingly Partsouq reports nill stock of them.

So add in freight and it'll be about A$25k if those part numbers are the right ones for a new 1hdt crate motor. That's about 4 times the current insurance value of my 1hz powered 80. Hmmm.

FYI, a long block with be missing a fair amount of parts so add more $$$ to that.

Might be cheaper to look into a trashed or blown engine, then get a new short block and head then scavenge all the rest from the bad engine.

It really adds up buying all the little stuff.

Cheers

Thought i'd chime in here with my recent dive into finding a new long block 1HD-T. Worked with Dave @ Japan4x4 and after searching through every possible 1HD-T variant / part number for a partial engine assembly, we've concluded it is simply impossible to find new anymore. He also said the same can be said for the short blocks. He simply cannot find new ones anymore.

I have a pending inquiry with Amayama, but I doubt they will be able to locate one if Dave couldn't...

FTE short block can still be had out of Japan. An FTE head as well but from Australia. The FT and FTE long block (which you would build) there is really no difference. The difference is in the IP and all the bolt ons. There are some small differences internally on these engines but that does not matter to somebody building one.

You can still build a new FT or FTE, not a 1HDT as far as I know. The problem you will encounter building either is finding all the bolt on parts you don’t have when building an engine from scratch.

Cheers

Oh and an issue with the EGR equipped FT and FTEs is they clog the head up badly. With an EGR delete and a catch can, its a non-issue.

Besides this issue on EGR equipped FT or FTEs, in my opinion these are the best diesel engines Toyota ever made.

Cheers

My vote is to inspect the oil cooler for decades of grunt. Pump must come off to do this but can be serviced at that time.
Too many bad ju ju s over the years.

FFS - about 2 years ago b4 covid 1hdt import motors were $8000 - now they are $11000 (Australian dollars) or thereabouts. That would mean a 1hdft would be in the $15000 to $20000 range. Ouchy!

As I went from having money (about $11k saved up) to having none for a possible engine swap in 2018 after leaving my ex I never investigated reports that a main Sydney toyota dealership had 1hdt crate motors available. I guess it's possible they do still exist, but very unicorn-like. And priced like gold bullion.

Last edited:
don’t forget to do the timing belt and water pump. easier when the engine is out of the vehicle. you never know what the real service record of a used engine really is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom