What shocks should I get ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get tokikos, no need to over think this one. great ride, oem quality and specs, great price. I use Olathe great service and lowest prices. Start spraying your shock nuts now

Funny. I live in Olathe and get 6% better pricing from McGeorge in VA.

I know you keep saying aftermarket but the OEM shocks really are the best deal for what you're doing. I've had them for 15K miles now and happy with them on road. Priced up on McGeorge it is $167.48 plus shipping for the set of 4.

I know you keep saying aftermarket but the OEM shocks really are the best deal for what you're doing. I've had them for 15K miles now and happy with them on road. Priced up on McGeorge it is $167.48 plus shipping for the set of 4.
I only said that because of the price my dealer gave me so I was looking for something else but I like the oem so that's what I'll go for .

I buy most of my parts online through dealerships.

I use McGeorge Toyota out of VA most of the time. Norwalk is also great.

The Tokico shocks are almost half what the aftermarket stuff is and last a long time. Those are the OEM brand.
I happy with the oem shocks . The shocks that are on the truck are the originals and its been 22 years and 188,000 miles so I can't complain at all . I just noticed they were bad a few weeks ago . This will be the first time I have ever changed shocks on any car or truck I have owned but I think I can do it .

I called and ask about the price of the Bilstein 4600 and new they are around 330.00 for 4 . Would I be better off with the used ones from davesex36 or with new oem shocks . The difference is 15 dollars . What is the differences in the 2 shocks ?

If aftermarket, my experience is mono-tube shocks. I will go Bilstein Brand. Had ranchos in other truck and they are S...t. or go with OME nitro type.

I called and ask about the price of the Bilstein 4600 and new they are around 330.00 for 4 . Would I be better off with the used ones from davesex36 or with new oem shocks . The difference is 15 dollars . What is the differences in the 2 shocks ?

You'll probably be happy with either. The OEMs have worked well on my 80 but I am running Bilstein 5100s (the next step up from 4600s) on my tow rig and on my wife's 4th gen 4Runner. Happy with them on both of those. I've never regretted putting Bilsteins on anything (I own an auto repair shop) but for the price and availability at the time the OEM shocks made sense. When I actually lift I will obviously go with something else (and much more expensive).

I would do NEW shocks vs used.

From my old-car experiences:
When you install a used shock on a new vehicle, it has different travel characteristics and the travel is longer or shorter than previous. This causes the seals to wear into a new area an pick up debris that has been placed there for whatever period of time. The shocks will work OK for a while, but the seals will fail earlier than expected. The same thing happens to an old car that has sat for a long time. Since they sit and don;t move, tiny rust pits occur on the stem and the stem dries out, then the seal drags across it and it scores the seal, causing tit to fail early.

If it was me doing this, I would buy the new shocks for a difference of $15. Plus, your old ones lasted 22 years. I don't think ANY of the aftermarket shocks last that long. People have been griping about OME shocks only lasting 5 years. I don't know about the Bilstein's and Fox's or Icon's.

You're not a rock crawler or a performance dude, so stick with stock and enjoy it. OEM Tokico's.

PS Make sure you pick up some PB Blaster and soak the tops and bottoms of the shocks multiple times a few weeks in advance (particularly the REAR brackets) to do your best to loosen up the bolts without breaking them off.

I just removed a <2 year old set of Fox's from my ride. Both were blown and leaking all over for 3-4 months, which means they were right at 1 year old. Replaced with Icon's and hope to get some more longevity out of them. At least with the Icon's they can be rebuilt, or so they say.

I looked into the shocks a little more on this forum and it seems the lx450 shocks are softer in ride and are shorter . I went ahead ordered the ones jjdeneen 918 post because I didn't like the way the factory shock lexus used rusted and broke off . I took a photo of what the bottom end of the shock looked like this is all that was left . This happened on both front shocks and both shocks at the bottom looks exactly the same . I went under the truck to spray the bolts and there wasn't anything there to spray . The bottom bolt washer and rubber piece were all gone . The shock was still in place because the other rubber was stuck to the metal . The photo shows what was left of the bottom stem s of both shocks . When I started up the truck I could hear a rattling sound and I couldn't figure out what was making the noise . With the new shocks on the noise is gone so that was it .

IMG_0308.jpg

Last edited:
Don’t get ranchos. Absolute worst ride I’ve ever experienced. Had them for maybe 40,000 (PO bought them) last 15,000 or so have gotten so much worse. I have a 2” lift, am considering stock shocks until I save up for some Icons after a swap.

Sorry to hijack, but OEM’s ok on a 2” lift if you keep the off roading civil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom