What ruined bearing is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi - found this delightfully ruined bearing on my truck, am I correct that this is the remains of an inner wheel bearing? What is the part number? Having a hard time sorting this out with my mechanic, he is fully inexperienced with these vehicles.
Thanks in advance!
IMG_3942.jpg

Not an inner wheel bearing, it's actually a roller bearing inside the spindle on later model 80's, earlier ones had a bushing. Search 'spindle bearing'.

You might look at replacing it with a bushing, as some around here are of the opinion that the bearing is overly complicated for the task and prone to failure, like yours.

Thanks for the quick response. I will replace with a bushing as suggested as I agree, this seems like an unneccessarily complicated component.
*Frustrating part is that this is actually a new bearing - extensive (expensive) service was done including new spindle within the past 500 miles... I suspect that this bearing was not greased during assembly.

Check the bearing contact surface on the birf, have seen those bearings take it out. If going back with the bearing (I wouldn't) the surface needs to be smooth, a bushing is more forgiving, can handle some texture.

Hunh, I wonder why I never see that?
Oh yeah, it’s because mine are the old style.

(Subtle hint you might want to stick to the solid bushings w/ grease grooves) ;)

I’m really pro-bushing/no needle bearings.

Well - that & I been driving the Tundra more of late (so there’s that).

We (Cruiser Outfitters) have what you need. We can set you up with the bearing/bushing combo or just a solid bushing for the anti-bearing crowd :D

Spindle Bushings & Bearings

Fits 1/1990-12/1997 8x Series & LX450 w/Solid Brass Bushing:
Part# HUB33002 (Aftermarket) - $15.50/each
Part# HUB33001 (Toyota) - $97.50/each
(One bushing required per side, two per axle)

Fits 1/1990-12/1997 8x Series & LX450 with Replacement/Upgrade Spindles Featuring Bushing/Bearing Combo:
Part# HUB35001AFT (Aftermarket Bushing) - $6.50/each
Part# HUB35001 (Toyota Bus

Part# HUB33011AFT (Aftermarket Bearing) - $28.50/each Aftermarket
(2-3 weeks out)
Part# HUB33011 (Toyota Bearing) - $58.50/each
(One bushing and one bearing required per side, two of each per axle)
Cruiser Outfitters

View attachment 1381128

You have to use either the HUB35001/HUB35001AFT & HUB33011 or just the solid bush HUB33002

In my day job, I work with toxic volatile chemicals that need to be contained in fume hoods that have negative pressure. The giant fans that blow the air out of these fume hoods run 24/7 and use oil lubricated bronze bushings like the ones on your cruiser axle and they run for 10 years without maintenance

So why did Toyota switch to a bearing?

I bet the bearing was a lot cheaper than a bronze bushing

I thought about that. The bearing is still part bronze. And I’m pretty sure it costs more. :meh:

We (Cruiser Outfitters) have what you need. We can set you up with the bearing/bushing combo or just a solid bushing for the anti-bearing crowd :D

Spindle Bushings & Bearings

Fits 1/1990-12/1997 8x Series & LX450 w/Solid Brass Bushing:
Part# HUB33002 (Aftermarket) - $15.50/each
Part# HUB33001 (Toyota) - $97.50/each
(One bushing required per side, two per axle)

Fits 1/1990-12/1997 8x Series & LX450 with Replacement/Upgrade Spindles Featuring Bushing/Bearing Combo:
Part# HUB35001AFT (Aftermarket Bushing) - $6.50/each
Part# HUB35001 (Toyota Bus

Part# HUB33011AFT (Aftermarket Bearing) - $28.50/each Aftermarket
(2-3 weeks out)
Part# HUB33011 (Toyota Bearing) - $58.50/each
(One bushing and one bearing required per side, two of each per axle)
Cruiser Outfitters

View attachment 1381128

You have to use either the HUB35001/HUB35001AFT & HUB33011 or just the solid bush HUB33002
cruiser outfitters hooks it up lovely, everything you need

Thanks Kurt!
Bought the bronze bushing from you and truck is now happily back on the road. Thanks to your and your staff.

Glad to hear! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom