What power steering unit is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've owned this 1975 fj40 for 4 months now. About everything on its been upgraded. Its been a good daily until the power steering rack started leaking fairly bad. I don't know if its stock of off another car. I was wondering if you guys could tell me so i can put a new seal in it. Also where could i find this seal? Its leaking out of the arm that goes into the unit.

Thanks, Brian.

c4b7cadf.jpg

36042b6d.jpg

thats a chevy saginaw steering gear box. common part that any parts place should be able to get or get parts for. and should be easy to find at any pick and pull lot. if you end up replacing it try to find a 4 1/4 turn from lock to lock. some are 3 1/4 or less and make it a little scary when driver because its faster turning.

Thanks guys! Figured that it was not stock considering every single thing else on this fj is aftermarket or off a chevy. Is this steering box a common swap with these?

I cant seem to find any rebuild, or seal kits online. What cars did these come off of if i just wanted to grab another from the junkyard?

I cant seem to find any rebuild, or seal kits online.

No, you need to find an old guy, at an old store, who doesn't need a computer to find a rebuild kit for a Saginaw box.

looking at the crossmember, make sure the frame has good reinforcment where the box is mounted.

X2 on the cross member. The square hole is begging for stress fractures. Can you weld? If so, you might consider putting in some sort of scab plate, and getting a sleeve in that member. Look at the corners of the hole closely for cracks. A little work now could save you from catastrophy later.

Not trying scare tactics here, but steering is a vital part in your rig, and the placement of the Sag box puts a lot of stress on the front cross member. Get some good eyes on it, and fix it up.

X3 You might want to install a Cross Member Tube Insert* that Cruiser Outfitters carries.

Cruiser Outfitters

Very cheap insurance. It would mean returning that square hole to a round one that it should have been, fortified with this insert. Good luck.

I cant seem to find any rebuild, or seal kits online. What cars did these come off of if i just wanted to grab another from the junkyard?

Try a 68 Impala. Any of the late 60's big GM cars had the 4.25 turn boxes. The rebuild kit is ~$20 (Kragen or AZ should have them), or you can just replace the seals on the shaft. The rebuild thread on Pirate linked above is a good go by.

The 4 bolt Saginaw box came off of 70's era full-size cars (Impala, Nova, Caprice) as well as a limited offering of Jeep (trucks for example). You should be able to score a rebuild kit at any of the common parts stores, Napa, AZ, etc... many carry the ATSCO brand which is pretty decent rebuild stuff.

I'll echo the others and recommend you clean up and reinforce your crossemember tube, we have a tube available as noted or you can source your own... either way it would be time well spent imo. http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/powersteering.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom