What parts do you keep on hand for the ‘what if’s’?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
Curious as to what parts everyone keeps on hand here ‘in case’ something happens.

I’ve heard of getting a spare starter, coolant tees/clamps.

What else are you keeping on hand??

I guess I should consider tools as well as I only keep a small set of stuff.

Curious as to what parts everyone keeps on hand here ‘in case’ something happens.

For what scenario? Most of us live in North America and can get any typical parts we want any time we want.

Oil filters and drain plug gaskets. That’s about it.

Too much to list. A quick list includes oil filters, wiper refills, engine air filters, cabin air filters, axle shaft, CV rebuild kit, axle nut/pin/nut cover, Toyota specific fasteners, lubricants, metal heater Tees. I sometimes have a full set of calipers, pads and hardware on the shelf, but I recently swapped the fronts in. I even have a spare speaker grill in case I want a change from my gamiviti grill cover.

Tools, fegeddaboudit... 40+ years of accumulation as an auto/motorcycle DIY/enthusiast. Most times, I'm more likely to have a tool than not.

Along the same lines, of "what if I build another 200", I also have a bunch of aftermarket stuff "on the shelf", because I'd rather let it wait for my next project than not get a fair price for it, or deal with shipping hassle. For example, Budbuilt aluminum skids, Reef cargo drawers, ADGU cargo drawers, LandcruiserGrilles metal grill, Black Oak LEDs lightbars, and so forth.

I keep an extra spring for the gas filler door in my glove box.

Fuses. Carista dongle.

I usually keep/collect only parts for the next service.
Exception is the radiator, that I keep until I get to replace the original.
Tools ... I have a ton after 26 years of wrenching and building.

Literally none. For a couple of reasons:

1. I've never had anything major happen that required immediate fixing. Come to think of it, nothing minor either. The LC just "works".

2. I live 10 miles from one of the largest Toyota dealerships in the US.

To be clear I have a ton of small parts on the shelf for maintenance stuff. Plastic clips for the fender splash shields, crush washers for engine/diffs/transmission, shock bolts..

but nothing sitting here in case of major failure, which is what I assumed OP was getting at. Other than a lithium jump pack anyway.

Are we talking stuff in the truck or stuff in our garage?

Stuff in the garage ends up being too much to list. If you’ve owned as many sh*tboxes as I have you will acquire an impressive amount of tools and spares as well as a ‘bag of tricks’ that will fill in the gaps when the correct tool or part is not on hand.

1. I've never had anything major happen that required immediate fixing. Come to think of it, nothing minor either. The LC just "works".

Im right there with you. Id rather spend my money on gas and travel.

You are very fortunate.

I live 10 miles from a crappy dealer that rarely carries any Land Cruiser parts, and refuses to offer any discounts even though I have purchased multiple new and used vehicles from them. I live in a rural area that even Amazon sucks at delivering things in a couple of days (2 day delivery is more like 5 day), and I'm not actually that remote, just rural. The dealer doesn't touch my 200 unless it is warranty, and they even manage to fail at that sort of work. I know some things need servicing like air filters after dusty offroad trips, and wiper blades at the worst possible time and I can't wait days for parts. Having things like brakes and calipers on hand lets me do work on my schedule. I carry a bunch of it on long trips - last year one trip brought me 300 miles from the nearest town and that was a small settlement with one gas station and convenience store - not like we could run to some parts superstore.

Vehicle parts?

- Fuses
- Tire plug kit
- Jumper cables + battery
- OEM tool kit + jack
- Basic hand tools

Outside of that I've got a small bag with a tiny (backpacking) single burner stove, two fuel canisters for it, backpacking pots & pans, cutlery, six 500ml bottles of water, waterproof matches, and a ziplock of plain rice.

In the car:

2 five gallon sea to summit water bladders (full and treated)
2 headlamps
1 nebo slide king emergency light with hazard function (no european hazard kit in the car...)
2 element fire extinguishers under both front seats mounted to the desert does it molle rails
1 seat belt cutter and glass breaker by my right hand
1 Sig P365 chambered with 16 hollows thats waiting to get mounted by my right leg rest
2 life straws
1 noco GB40+
1 indeflate 2 hose rapid fill and deflate system
1 under hood rapid air compressor
1 slime air pump with slime bottle kit
1 standard plug kit
1 digital tire gauge
1 leatherman xe6 multi tool that i love me long time
1 eddie bauer lawn chair with footrest
1 napier sports cove trunk hatch tent
1 dual layer cheapo picnic blanket (still working on choosing proper bedding)
2 collapsible food/water bowls
2 first aid kits (oem and another i cant remmber)
1 roll-up able giant duffle bag
2 all weather ponchos
2 pairs of work gloves
1 bag of n95 masks (still there and why not keep them)
1 bottle of all weather matches (swedish steel at home in bug out too)
1 traffic cam (70mai with sony sensor) its not horrible
2 multi end charging cables
1 dual usb high output 12v charger adapter
EDIT: +
1 trailer ball cover lock
1 collapsible cross tire iron with 20,21,22, and 24mm ends.
1 wheel spline lug adapter

Shopping for:

1 tool roll (carhart?) in a good color (grey) for the empty tailgate compartment to complement the factory kit
x hand tools to go in that tool roll
2 sets of knee pads
1 supermat are they called or something? the camping sleeping mat that climbers swear by
1 something to boil water with like that mini jet boil that looks cool as hell
1 some kind of food rations (but ive got some built in lol)

Thinking about getting

1 somekind of offroad capable jack to replace the oem bottle but i dont have a jack point for it... Hi lift idk.
1 decent fold out solar panel with USB out (i have an anker at home but its not too strong)
x spares of various things. starter maybe? i have no clue where to start on that front
2 motorola high range hand radios (they had some at costco recently)

and IDK bunch of other stuff im forgetting probably.

Last edited:
Here how its packed up.

IMG_2371.jpeg

Some nice member (i forget who, most likely grinch deal master) had shared a deal on the duluth stuff and it matches my colors so i had to cop both the bag and seat back system and quiet like them. Ive secured the bag with the sd3d brackets in as close to color match he offered and it snaps in the d rings perfectly.

Need to figure out a nice way to make sure the water bladders dont become blunt trauma projectiles too but i keep em looped in the carry straps usually.

This is all going in the worlds laziest and most delayed build thread eventually under interior fitout section.
I dont really want drawers either, but a dometic fridge in grey is appealing. And a new ecoflow delta two.
Im trying not to spend $25k on toys though.

Last edited:
Since I got my Tundra and now the Land Cruiser, it seems as if most of the stuff I carry - tire patch kit, fuses, an assortment of hose clamps, O rings, various nuts and bolts, so on and so forth - I have never used them on my Toyotas but instead wind up helping others who I have come across stranded. Last guy was in Titus Canyon in Death Valley NP. He needed a hose clamp for a transmission line. It was an old Suburban. I have used my recovery gear several time to pull people out. I had to tow one jeep with a broken radiator 10 miles once. The tow strap was 30 feet long and thank God the jeep had manual brakes.

In the past, I carried a lot of spar parts when I had my Grand Cherokee. I had it all in a big tub in the back that took up half the space.

AnyMal's list above is very good. I carry about 95% of what he has listed. I don't carry the lawn chair, tent or the two headlights. But pretty much everything else except mine is a modified Colt Model 1911A1 45ACP. Wife has a Sig P230 380 Auto. Both loaded with Federal Hydrashocks and are located for quick access. The seat-back carrier is worth its weight in gold.

Oh, I also carry a small Gransfors Bruk hand ax and a Silky KatanaBoy folding saw. It cuts almost as fast as a chainsaw. I've had to use it on more than one occasion to clear fallen trees from the trail.

Last edited:
Since I got my Tundra and now the Land Cruiser, it seems as if most of the stuff I carry - tire patch kit, fuses, an assortment of hose clamps, O rings, various nuts and bolts, so on and so forth - I have never used them on my Toyotas but instead wind up helping others who I have come across stranded. Last guy was in Titus Canyon in Death Valley NP. He needed a hose clamp for a transmission line. It was an old Suburban. I have used my recovery gear several time to pull people out. I had to tow one jeep with a broken radiator 10 miles once. The tow strap was 30 feet long and thank God the jeep had manual brakes.

In the past, I carried a lot of spar parts when I had my Grand Cherokee. I had it all in a big tub in the back that took up half the space.

AnyMal's list above is very good. I carry about 95% of what he has listed. I don't carry the lawn chair, tent or the two headlights. But pretty much everything else except mine is a modified Colt Model 1911A1 45ACP. Wife has a Sig P230 380 Auto. Both loaded with Federal Hydrashocks and are located for quick access. The seat-back carrier is worth its weight in gold.

Oh, I also carry a small Gransfors Bruk hand ax and a Silky KatanaBoy folding saw. It cuts almost as fast as a chainsaw. I've had to use it on more than one occasion to clear fallen tress from the trail.

Ah, thats right.
A good axe i totally forgot about. There are some very cool multi function options out there too. In case a tree gets in your way or whatever.
Thanks for the reminder!

Here how its packed up.

View attachment 3243693

Some nice member (i forget who, most likely grinch deal master) had shared a deal on the duluth stuff and it matches my colors so i had to cop both the bag and seat back system and quiet like them. Ive secured the bag with the sd3d brackets in as close to color match he offered and it snaps in the d rings perfectly.

Need to figure out a nice way to make sure the water bladders dont become blunt trauma projectiles too but i keep em looped in the carry straps usually.

This is all going in the worlds laziest and most delayed build thread eventually under interior fitout section.
I dont really want drawers either, but a dometic fridge in grey is appealing. And a new ecoflow delta two.
Im trying not to spend $25k on toys though.
After thoroughly analyzing this photo I've figured out why you're having issues with your LX. You're missing the 20lb counterbalance of dog fur, sand and dust.

After thoroughly analyzing this photo I've figured out why you're having issues with your LX. You're missing the 20lb counterbalance of dog fur, sand and dust.

Exactly. 🥲

Someday i will use this truck to go somewhere nice, I promise.
But mostly i like tinkering with it. hehe

Yall forget though that its at least a 12hr drive for us to go anywhere remotely not absolute s***e from TX.
Its a whole ordeal and 2 days of driving alone round trip.
Hence why i was asking the PNW bois @tbisaacs & @grinchy about Seattle life a while back.
And you know that you and i have had our own conversations about this at length...

Wife and I sorely miss living in NorCal everday.
And worst of all im in talks to re-establish some business in Houston with lots of potential.
A city that I loathe and detest beyond my english vocabularies ability to describe.
Its like if NYC were an industrial plant that gets a hurricane every year and 100% humidity year round with scorching heat.
Its got some fantastic food though. Aint gonna lie about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom