What part of the car do you hate? Any advice on how others should handle their worst nightmare parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought it'd be good to make a thread where people could talk about what parts, or what procedures they hate, hate with a passion, hate so much you want to rip the part out and throw it in the scrap bin than touch it. For me it's the fan shroud. It didn't matter what I was doing or how I was trying to fit it in. It was always in the way. Threads on here lead me to modify it by cutting in half, which makes it slightly more manageable.

Post what part/procedure on the 40 you hate, maybe someone will chime in with advice on how to make it more bearable to deal with.

I got one for discussion. Which fender do you hang over to adjust the valves? I have a Hitchmate step that hangs over a tire to get all 5’6” of me off the ground, but the bending over awkwardly is not fun.

To me working on the doors and reassembling made me loose steam on my 1st 40. I just hated it. I could never make the glass come in and out like it was supposed to and all the pieces inside frustrated me to the point of not enjoying my truck and not working on it for weeks.

Could also have to do with the fact I bought 2 sets of doors trying to find great rust free and would find rust each time when I tore down.

The door hinges were miserable to install. I spent an entire afternoon trying to get one started and finally gave up for the day, went in the house and started drinking. You need to be super flexible and comfortable laying upside down with a clutch pedal jammed in the side of your head for hours at a time. Dainty double jointed fingers wouldn’t hurt either. Moral of the story is NEVER remove them.

The gas tank. It must have a mystery hole somewhere that all the fuel leaks out of every 150 miles or so.

Last edited:
Throw-out bearing, and those tiny stupid little clips that hold it to the clutch fork. Impossible to mate the transmission to the engine without knocking them loose. Can get to the bottom one ok, but trying to get to the top one is really, really hard without pulling it all apart again.

Anything electrical. Between bad grounds, broken wires, hidden wiring harnesses and parts no longer available, I dread it

The gas tank. It must have a mystery hole somewhere that all the fuel leaks out of every 150 miles or so.
“Seal All” it literally sets up when exposed to fuel... I had a pin leak at a seam that never leaked again... 20 years later it still didn’t leak there (although cannot say the same about the rest of the tank.

There are two holes actually....seems there is a main one and a secondary one that only leaks sometimes.

“Seal All” it literally sets up when exposed to fuel... I had a pin leak at a seam that never leaked again... 20 years later it still didn’t leak there (although cannot say the same about the rest of the tank.
I'm pretty sure the tank losing all it's fuel every 150 miles or so is a universal issue. All the Seal All in the world won't change that. It might get you to 170

Oh, that's on an FJ40. The frugal 55 can get 250 miles before it all leaks out...

I have a hard time adjusting the rear drum brakes. I also hate having to pull and replace the speedometer gage cluster. Have found that disconnecting the Speedo cable from down below gives you a little more slack. I haven’t had any luck sticking my hand up from the back and disconnecting to that way.

I have a hard time adjusting the rear drum brakes. I also hate having to pull and replace the speedometer gage cluster. Have found that disconnecting the Speedo cable from down below gives you a little more slack. I haven’t had any luck sticking my hand up from the back and disconnecting to that way.
I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm about to replace my bulbs with LED and have been dreading pulling that out.

This is in my future too - the speedometer stopped working and I’ve been dragging my feet to figure out why because I know I’ll need to pull the cluster, and I’m dreading it.

Before you pull the cluster, disconnect the battery to avoid more issues.

So I’ve heard... I think I have the clip style cable but I haven’t tried to get to it from underneath. I do have a 2 piece cable so I figure disconnecting the other side from the speed marker box will give me some slack to play with.

These are just so easy to work on.
This. I’m in the final stretch of replacing the shocks and struts while also adjusting parking brake on my 08 tundra. Fights me every step and f the way. Used to be simple affair, but now you need to disassemble the front end in order to remove the struts. Then I get to play a terrifying game of spring compression. This leaves me with a sense dread when I ever have to work on the engine(knock on wood), that thing is literally shoe horned in there.
The 40 is definitely easier.

I guess no one here has never worked on Jaguar mk2, These 40’s are incredibly easy to work on.
I found remaking the floor on my 81 challenging but fun, same for Replacing the rusted sections on the windshield frame.
5E913597-722F-4DE8-BDC7-1445F605BA77.jpeg
D78DA578-5E59-41CB-8E6F-6F4E0F38B6C2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom