What paint to use on fuel filler neck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had my fuel tank filler neck sand blasted along with a ton of other things and was wondering what paint to use on it? Would a Rustoleum type work? Any ideas would be helpful. I was hoping to paint it black. Thanks. Mark

sure paint away. are you restoring or just refinishing things?

Resurecting this thread. I found a Rustoleum paint for engines that is rated 500 degrees and claims to be "gas resistant" will this flat black spray can work for my 40 fuel filler neck?

Thanks for any advice I just don't want black paint clogging my fuel filter a week after re installing the neck!!!

I did a number of searches on here but didn't find any definitive answers

I took the neck on my FJ55 to a powder coater. He said no way on powder coating. But he had some kick butt epoxy he used. So far, I've noticed no epoxy in my tank ;)

Epoxy.....got it.....thanks Lil John

anyone else got experience?

x3 on the zinc. I just had a MUDer send me a filler neck to have zinc plated with my next batch of shackles. He buys stuff from me regularly, so I told him as long as he already had the part blasted, there wouldn't be any charge to do it.;)

I would trust bare metal over powder coat in the long haul for this app.

Best

Mark A.

Thanks for the input guys. Was talking to the wife and complaining about the lack of paint options and mentioned a new one.........gem that she is she said "well you don't want to mess with your fuel system you have just redone......JUST GET A NEW ONE THAT'S GOT THAT STUFF ON IT"

priceless....it's enroute as we speak and now I have a good spare

For anyone that is reading this....save yourself the pain and cad plate it, zince plate or leave it alone bc I couldn't find any paint that is easy to put INSIDE the dang tube that will stand up over time to fuel exposure. if you DO paint....use epoxy and if you can bake it at 350 or let it sit in the sun for a week to harden better.

Cheers

If you're talking about the inside of the filler neck then I would use POR-15 gas tank liner. Paint the outside anything you fill comfortable with. You're making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

Plating worked for me

P1030441.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0196_024.JPG

2c :meh:

If you're talking about the inside of the filler neck then I would use POR-15 gas tank liner. Paint the outside anything you fill comfortable with. You're making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

Agreed the outside is not the issue.....it's the inside where any paint, ive been told, will come off over time. I just went with plating....I am a little bit of a worrier after serious fuel issues and didn't think I could get POR 15 in the smaller tube or get as good a coverage as dipping in zinc, cadmium.

tmark......that's a great before and after shot......nice work

Agreed the outside is not the issue.....it's the inside where any paint, ive been told, will come off over time. I just went with plating....I am a little bit of a worrier after serious fuel issues and didn't think I could get POR 15 in the smaller tube or get as good a coverage as dipping in zinc, cadmium.

tmark......that's a great before and after shot......nice work

Clearly said by someone with no experience with POR-15 gas tank liner. When I had the filler neck modified to properly fit my aux tank I found there was a very, very small weep at one spot on the weld seam. I got a small kit of their sealer that contained a degreaser and metal prep. I poured the sealer in after the metal prep had dried, I taped the ends where the tank and pressure relief hoses go and just rotated the filler neck until I could see that all the surfaces were covered. I then drained the filler neck of the remaining sealer and let it cure. The sealer reacts with moisture in the air and cures to a hard finish. I feel far more comfortable with this approach than your plating by a long shot. As a matter of fact I would still recommend that you use this sealer over your plating.
Fuel Filler 02.jpg
Fuel Filler 03R.jpg
Aux Fuel Door 01.jpg

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I have a filler neck on my 45 that I sand blasted and had yellow zinc plated. Now it is rusting very badly on the inside. I am using diesel fuel but I would not think it should matter. Thoughts gentlemen?

My high school shop teacher said galvanized (zinc) was fine for the gas tank I was building... but not to use for a diesel tank. Can’t tell you why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom