What other transfer cases are passenger drop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.threeelementsdesigns.com
I'm trying to get a conversion thought out so I may start gathering parts. Problem is, I want both axles to be the same, weather this is stock cruiser axles, both driver off-set what have you. I've searched a lot, and can't figure out if any will allow retention of cruiser transfer. Dana 300 is? Any ford cases? Aftermarket cases? It seems to me that there aren't any. Atlas is centered rear also, I believe. How bad would it be to have a centered rear output from a t/case with a passenger offset axle?

Dana 18 is. A Jeep part :p . I also heard there is an NP200 but never seen one.

There is also a few foreign makers that have passenger side offset transfer cases like Land Rover and Mercedes (G-wagen).

How about the Orion? http://www.advanceadapters.com/orion.html Just be patient

Dave

d 18, swap d18 guts to a d20 case (stronger case), and it would work perfect.

NP200 would work, but harder to adapt. Better off taking a np200 and combining it with a np205, then run it.

Orion, well i dont know, lots of $$$, lots of waiting, too many questions about its strength and relieablitiy. Toooo many unknowns to fork dough into a potential gernade. Just my opinion.

Arch what do you plan on doing with this vehicle?

I'm deciding which v8 to swap in, and as such, which tranny and t/case. The 2 most likely engines are a 5.0 cobra, and an ls1. 5.0 makes good power, decent mileage, is very light in weight, and a very easy swap as far as the wiring goes. The 5.0 is a very contained multi-point system, very few sensors in comparison to the ls1. Ls1 on the other hand, is the best v8 out right now, so powerful, almost too powerful. I do like the weight of it aswell, and the efficiency is awesome. But, it appears that it would be a nightmare to swap it in, with all the sensors and such, unless I fork out the 6K for a stand alone one from AA. But these two are the main choices, also contending is the new Vortec 4200 alloy inline 6, but comes with all the same problems as the ls1. 3 choices for trannys, h55f, nv4500 and zf5, very dependant on engine choice. After that, I'm stuck, I don't know which t/case. If I swap in a chevy, I could put in the h55 to a split case, but not very doable with the 5.0. I've had enough wiring 'glitches' since the rebuild, and am not sure I could actually pull of a ls1 swap. 5.0 seems like a better idea, but no t'case that bolts up to a zf5 tranny has a passenger drop........hmmmm. What to do?

Marks4WD has a Ford small block to H55 bellhousings, I think. By "ZF5" are you referring to the T5 B&W tranny that comes behind the 5.0? First gear is too high 3.55 or something IIRC.

Did you look at AA's site or Marks 4WD site? AA has a freebie booklet on cruiser engine conversions that would help you decide.

Dave

There is a dude, can't remember his name, that specializes in making gm to whatever wiring harnesses. He programs the computer, makes all the wiring, so that its really a plug and play deal. Maybe someone will come up with his name.

Beanz, I meant the zf 5 spd tranny found in ford trucks, different from t5. Much lower first gear, good overdrive, built in bell housing, and still smaller and 40 lbs lighter than an nv4500. I'm doing everything I can to shed pounds, and 40 lbs is a consideration, more like 60 when you include the NV and the needed bell housing. T5 has a poor first gear, and is physically a long tranny, to little space in a cruiser.

z gernade, i have seen four of these explode. one was just a work truck that we got stuck in mud stepped on the skinny pedal and it caught a rock and bam this thing just blew to pieces. pretty sweet. no offense but it is F*** POS.

you got too much money to burn.

What are you using this for? concernd about 40lbs in trans weight but going with a expensive V8 engine, doesnt make sense. You have probably 40 lbs in wiring and junk sensors.

ls1 with all sensors is 400 lbs, 5.0 is around 450, carbed iron block chevy 350 is around 550-600, alloys are sooo nice. Too much money, I wish, ramens are sounding pretty good right now. But this configuration I come up with will be collected over the next 2 years or so, and then crank it all out at once.

are the ls1 and 5.0 loaded or bare only? wiring computer, sensors, etc...

550 and under is good for the sbc, the iron block mild drag engine with alum top end is under 500, add other alum acces and headers and such you drop from there. 590-600 area and up is BB territory.

minor weight savings vs costs, and with unknown use.

may i suggest some moly and fiber or alum, no tub at all, no need for the v8 and heavy drivetrain as we are shedding lbs. so 4 cyl, maybe 6 no need for the large trans, but why do need granny and a OD in the first place. Then again why would any of this need to be started with anything cruiser, not exactly the lightest thing to start with.

these days of weight savings, 100 lbs less in the engine, 40 lbs less in the trans, then leaving the winch solid mounted, on the street. DOESNT make sense. I am all for making the vehicle a little lighter here and there, but no reason to carry the winch all the time, or the trail tools, or the beer cooler (well). IT would take alot of weight saved to even feel a remote difference in the vehicle.

Each to his or her own I guess. I've already shed several hundred pounds from the truck, and if I'm going to go to all the trouble of swapping out a drivetrain, then I would prefer to do the best for my needs. Why does this bother you so much. It's not your cruiser, and shes not a rare stocker, I've had her for 8 years, and will be buried in her. I could shed weight by 'hacking off the body', but that is not what I want. I'm not a good enough driver to compete, and never will be. I just enjoy finding remote spots with my girlfriend and my dog, or hitting some well known trails to hone my skills. I can get any old carbed 350 and swap it into my truck, but for just a little more money and work, I could have a nice, quiet, reliable, efficent, lightweight v8, so wheres the problem? My longterm goal is not different than yours or anyones, just to have what I feel to be a very nice old cruiser, tailored to what I need from it, and what I want, either for comfort or drool factor. And yes, I hope to one day afford a winch, and I will mount it solidly to the front of my truck. Makes perfect sense to me. Shed weight from the front end, so that when I get the winch, and dual batterys, and compressor, I will be around the same weight bias as I was when stock, instead of adding another 250# to an already heavy front end, requiring stiff, uncomfortable springs with little articulation. See you on the trail.

If you're worried about a centered transfer and a offset diff, you could go with 2 double carden joints.

lol that is my sig line on pirate "To each his own"

I am interested in the weight of those engines and how they are setup, for my info more then anything.

Time and money is huge when looking at the different swaps.

I guess for that street bling, the winch mounted on a street duty anything is required, i guess its up there next to those street beadlocks, well the winch at least works.

goal is good, i guess me and you just have different way to get there. winch is usually needed/or wish it was there, no matter what is powering the ride.

I am a tailor, for fun. Time is alright if you do it yourself and deadline is whenever it gets done, costs is what usually kills the deal.

Collecting for future projects and unknown possible future projects is what i do best.

Overlord, that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thanks. Will I need to install a track bar to keep the axle located due to the side loading of the drive-shaft to axle?

Did I miss what yr your 'Cruiser is?
What's wrong with OEM drivetrain? I've been running various SBC's in mine since 1985 without problems. Light wieght motor is a good idea. OEM drivetrain can handle any smallblock with ease. If you're worried about too much power, hammerhead always says " there's an adjustment for that, the pedal on the right".

Not so much worried about my 79's drivetrain holding up to sb power, just hoping to swap in a 5 speed with a new engine. Granny gear and O/D would be nice. I'm just looking for suggestions as to what transfer case to use.

Get the later model 5spd T/TC. If you ask at either MAF or SOR they can check their stock and sometimes they have the lower 2.3... ratio like the 3spd's have. 1st gear is 5to1 IRRC.

OK, Arch, if you are concerned about weight and have $$ to spend, how about an R151 tranny and split case? 4.31:1 first gear, 0.83:1 5th gear. G&Scruiserparts.com has such an animal in their shop looking for a new owner. Their unit is unique that it uses the R151 tranny found in the Toy 4x4 Turbo but it is mated to an offset cruiser split transfer case. The you can swap in the 3:1 low gear sets from Marks4WD or RockHopper.

Marks4WD sells a kit to adapt a Chevy V8 for it, The Castlemaine Rod shop http://www.rodshop.com.au/bellhousings.htm sells the bellhousing to adapt a Ford V8 to it.

But most of all, it is a Toyota part :)

Dave

Can a double, double carden Shaft see any kind of speed with that much vertical and hor. change? i guess overall length would affect it also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom