what now?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well the truck died on me today
To be more exact I drove it 65km mostly highy in the morning no problem
this afternoon all was fine untill i got off the highway 60km trip, two stop lights later I noticed the oil pressure was lower than normal I tapped the gas pedal to see if the oil pressure would rise and as the revs dropped the truck spuddered (res dropped below idle) and then shut off on me. I tried to restart but no luck the engine barely turned over I tried twice more no luck sat for a minute and she fired right up???
got home 2min away poped the hood and noticed some blowby a fair bit, there was next to none before
3b engine turboed
oil and filter should be good 750km
valves were just adjusted
rings were new
whats going on now?? any one got any ideas??
please help I need this truck running
thanks all

Compression test dude.

pop the rod off at the fuel pump and tie the pump to fuel off while cranking
take the oil filter off and cut it too and see if there is any shrapnel in it

Some mechanics and owners have their engine oil sent out for lab testing. It's an inexpensive way to verify the health of the motor.

Did it crank slow after it quit? I'm worried it almost seized. If so, then compression readings may mislead you, producing passable compression numbers while revolving on wiped bearings.

I'd have the oil tested.

You can also do a leak-down test with compressed air. But if it is siezing, it won't make much difference; you will need to open it up. By all means, you can grab an oil sample and send it in for analysis. Be sure to note that it only has 750 kms on the oil.

Were there any distinct noises before it shut down. I find it strange that an "almost siezed" engine would fire up after sitting a few minutes. Are you sure that you have more than the normal blow-by? How did you verify this?

Your low oil pressure could mean nothing more than the rpms just before it stalled were so low that you had very low oil pressure. Don't assume the worse, there are a host of other issues which could cause your engine to go to low rpm and then stall: bad fuel, dirty filter, air leak in fuel system, etc. You may have a couple things going on at the same time.

Well the truck died on me today
To be more exact I drove it 65km mostly highy in the morning no problem
this afternoon all was fine untill i got off the highway 60km trip, two stop lights later I noticed the oil pressure was lower than normal I tapped the gas pedal to see if the oil pressure would rise and as the revs dropped the truck spuddered (res dropped below idle) and then shut off on me. I tried to restart but no luck the engine barely turned over I tried twice more no luck sat for a minute and she fired right up???
got home 2min away poped the hood and noticed some blowby a fair bit, there was next to none before
3b engine turboed
oil and filter should be good 750km
valves were just adjusted
rings were new
whats going on now?? any one got any ideas??
please help I need this truck running
thanks all

Another possibility. It could be the edic shut it down due to the low oil pressure at idle. Are you losing oil somewhere in a major way (e.g. oil gallery plug)?

Another possibility. It could be the edic shut it down due to the low oil pressure at idle. Are you losing oil somewhere in a major way (e.g. oil gallery plug)?

sure it should be an option ..

I never trust in those Toyota factory " gauges " there are any close to accuracy .. grab a mech oil press guage and ruun it just to know if your oil press went away ..

There is an O ring at the oil pump plate that can fail ..

On the bright side ----- At least you'll already be very familiar with stripping your engine to bits!

Bummer. :frown:

I think you'll have to start questioning your rebuilding methods/standards.

Well the numbers are in 390psi across the board, no difference between cylinders. The engine was warm.

The engine is not siezing/sticking in any way and no noise or nocking, it turns nice by hand/wrench the reason for it turning over slow is a short of some sort it turns over fine at times and slow the next just started doing this (when it turns over slow it turns fne by hand), and my batteris were low as they were in need of a charge.

The butterfly throttle has a 1/4" play in it.

Also the #2 injector line has a healthy tick tick pulse the others seem smoother.

Today while driving it sputtered and was gutless egt went up but not that fast while in 4th gear 2000 revs I let off the throttle and then back on and all was normal again heaps of power its done this before once or twice long time ago.

It smokes black in color not too bad ever but noticable, and white when cold or -25 out side but it goes away.

And as for the blowby theres none??? it was noticabe yesterday but none I mean not eaven a hint this has got wondering wtf is going on??

The compression test made me feel good though all is good there and minimal oil consumption.

How long do the springs last in 3b injectors?

Thanks for all the replies

I think you'll have to start questioning your rebuilding methods/standards.

I rebuit as the manual says too. The reason I spun the bearing was I was told the pistons, rods and caps came frome the same engine so I assumed they were good, little did i know the caps had been mixxed and matched from differnt engines, my fault for not measuring the out of round, so I had the rods and caps re ground to spec. all has been well untill now.

and i'm able to strip the truck in a week, week for parts and machining, week and 2 days to get it back together 16.5hr's total no help, the first time was double that

Well the truck died on me today ......I noticed the oil pressure was lower than normal I tapped the gas pedal to see if the oil pressure would rise and as the revs dropped the truck spuddered (res dropped below idle) and then shut off on me. I tried to restart but no luck the engine barely turned over ......

Sorry - Your comments here made be jump to the conclusion that you had bearing problems again.

Well the numbers are in 390psi across the board, no difference between cylinders. The engine was warm......

Well those figures are better than I get for my engine. :crybaby:

......The engine is not siezing/sticking in any way and no noise or nocking, it turns nice by hand/wrench the reason for it turning over slow is a short of some sort it turns over fine at times and slow the next just started doing this (when it turns over slow it turns fne by hand), and my batteris were low as they were in need of a charge........

Perhaps your battery problems were causing your EDIC to try and shut your engine down.

....And as for the blowby theres none??? it was noticabe yesterday but none I mean not eaven a hint this has got wondering wtf is going on??....

Sorry - I haven't got a clue either how the blowby could look "excessive" one minute and then "negligible" the next.

How long do the springs last in 3b injectors?

I think injectors should be reconditioned (new nozzles and opening/closing pressures adjusted) every 100,000 kms or thereabouts. I would expect springs to weaken slightly over time (hence the adjustment requirement) but I'd never expect them to fail.

:hmm: So all I can suggest is to sort out any battery/charging problems you may have in case this was causing your EDIC to misbehave. (I'm thinking perhaps your EDIC had almost moved the injector pump lever to the "stop" position when you saw your low oil pressure. So this assumes you saw the low oil pressure while in neutral and didn't see it while in gear and on the move!)

:cheers:

thanks lost marbles, bearings lets not talk boot thoes again lol what a fxxx up
i got the charger on the truck now but i caint figure out were the draw is comming from or bad ground is. The edic i feel has something to do with it along with the injectors or mabey a bad tank of fuel im gona change the filter tommorow. Any thing else i should change, swap or adjust?

The blowby has got me real stumped anyone got an idea on this one???
thanks again all

Have you changed the oil recently? Ever use a product called Engine Restorer? (It's basically a moly additive.) I had used it for a few thousand miles. After an oil change (Rotella 5w40 full synthetic) and a fresh dose of Engine Restorer my oil pressure dropped enough at idle to trip the low oil pressure switch in the EDIC circuit.

oil is just good ole 15w-40 URSA brand mabey ill change back to rotella
it was just changed recently but no additives
thanks

your valves were just adjusted? did you retighten all the nuts on the rockers?

Blow by out the stink pipe when hot isn't uncommon... but it shouldn't be excessive either!

get a mechanical oil pressure gauge... That way oil pressure isn't a guessing game!

Ive got a oil pressure guage I think my problem is injector or EDIC as everything else seems to be good the truck smokes black

compression, valves, oil, is good

I head relay click right before the engine spuddered and the egt went up but no real smoke does this give any ideas as to what the problem is.

thanks all for the replies

time ago I was having some alt issues .. if my V was too low, the EDIC just try to shut off the engine .. sopose the EDIC was thinking I'm switching the engine off throught the key

Hmm low charge and edic mabey its only shut down after highway runs,
I had no problems today batteries fully charged

but I noticed at cold start up there are black puffs every now and then?? is this a bad injector?
and as for the blowby it only shows up after a hard highway run. Valves? Rings?
not too worried any more just looking for input
thanks all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom