What Next? (after my 100 that is) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I have a '97 80 with 250K miles and by far the best truck I ever had. My 100 has just turned over 200K miles and unlike the 80 that I serviced very 6 months the 100 has had nothing done save a set of plugs, a timing belt and shocks, and I see problems coming.

I have not been reading on the 120 or 150 so have no idea where to go next.

What's the NATURAL PROGRESSION from the 100?

See problems coming? Like what?

Yeah OP what problems coming? I mean life's not without problems.. but being specific helps cure some of them :rofl:

Either you spend a little on maintenance or spend a lot more buying / baselining a new rig.....
I would rather spend $$ on maintenance than flush it down the toilet on depreciation.

They are landcruisers, you don't buy it to save money :hmm: The more miles and wheeling you do the more $$$ it takes to keep them going :steer:

They are landcruisers, you don't buy it to save money :hmm: The more miles and wheeling you do the more $$$ it takes to keep them going :steer:

I think this is the point here, for me anyway. Decide what you want out of the truck and keep or buy accordingly.

I'm currently struggling with something similar and I think I need to drive the truck that I will feel comfortable dragging through the forest and have fun, as well as like driving to work everyday. Right now the 200's are too spendy for my style. The 100 is nice and comfy but can get bruised up a tad and I'm not wretching on the side of the road when it happens. Patch up the 100 and keep her going. There isn't that many major repair cost items. I just looked at another 100 last night with 226k miles on it, drove like new, but just had too many small things and guy wouldn't come of his price at all.

Thanks. So having "neglected" my 100 what bits need replacing or do I wait till things go wrong? With my 80 I put in new radiator, new alternator, new starter, new fan clutch and new wheel bearings just for fun and never had a problem. Does the 100 need these sort of things even when the parts are OK?

Thanks. So having "neglected" my 100 what bits need replacing or do I wait till things go wrong? With my 80 I put in new radiator, new alternator, new starter, new fan clutch and new wheel bearings just for fun and never had a problem. Does the 100 need these sort of things even when the parts are OK?
These are, for the most part, "consumables" and will need to be replaced. I wouldn't consider the issues that come up from ignoring their replacements as "problems" per se, just consequences.

Key word PRE ventative maintenance...............

@MH_Stevens you can sell it to me really cheap! You are not that far away from me.

You can always look into the local clubs here on mud to see if anyone is willing to help you with work. There are a few good recommended Landcruiser shops in the San Diego area.

So you're replacing parts on your 80 "for fun", but not doing any maintenance on your 100 and you want to know what to buy next because the 100 "might" have problems? Ok. Not sure where you're expecting this thread to go. If the 100's running fine, keep driving it. When something breaks, fix it. Or replace things "for fun".

So you're replacing parts on your 80 "for fun", but not doing any maintenance on your 100 and you want to know what to buy next because the 100 "might" have problems? Ok. Not sure where you're expecting this thread to go. If the 100's running fine, keep driving it. When something breaks, fix it. Or replace things "for fun".

Just to explain as my question does appear that I should know the answer as I have done so much mechanical work on previous Cruisers. It's just
that i'm too old with too many aches and pains to get out and get under, just want to get off road with as little effort as possible and so really i'm looking for sound ways to cheat the maintenance god.

From reading your signature, it looks like your 100 just turned over 300k. Either way, just fix things as they break or become necessary. You're lucky enough to own two of the most reliable and rugged vehicles at the same time. Don't be so eager to toss one aside just because routine maintenance is in your future. That will be the case (likely worse) with anything you replace your 100 with.

Just to explain as my question does appear that I should know the answer as I have done so much mechanical work on previous Cruisers. It's just
that i'm too old with too many aches and pains to get out and get under, just want to get off road with as little effort as possible and so really i'm looking for sound ways to cheat the maintenance god.

Hey Mike, I'm a local in the area. Grew up in Fallbrook, now live in Vista. If you choose do do some maintenance and need an excellent, trustworthy mechanic well versed in Toyota trucks go see Greg at Village European in Fallbrook. He's been working on my family's vehicles for over 25 years, and is a close family friend. My dad delivered his children, so there's that too:)

Last edited:
So, I have a '97 80 with 250K miles and by far the best truck I ever had. My 100 has just turned over 200K miles and unlike the 80 that I serviced very 6 months the 100 has had nothing done save a set of plugs, a timing belt and shocks, and I see problems coming.

I have not been reading on the 120 or 150 so have no idea where to go next.

What's the NATURAL PROGRESSION from the 100?
Just pulled the trigger on a 2013 GX 460 Premium with 38k miles. I get it delivered tomorrow and am excited! Just traded in my wife's 1998 LC for a 2007 Taco and I'm selling my 1998 LC now. Take a look on the recent posts to see it. I'm asking for some ideas for prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom